Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 11:28 PM
Default Hi Everyone
I just bought a Samsung Smart PC Tablet 500. I like it but the programs its comes with take up half the total GB available and the norton anti-virus it auto installed is a pain. If norton isn't running in the background the damned thing locks up everytime you try to surf the net. *grrrr*

I want norton off. I prefer MSS as well as running the occasional PC maintenance program and being smart about what I download. With a memory that size most things will be downloaded to my desktop anyway.

Now I've heard a good thing to do is clone the hard drive, wipe it and install the programs you like. While I am interested in something like this I am also wary that I could really fuck this up. I have the time to look into it and do it right. I feel reasonalbly confident in my ability to complete a task like this. However if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on where to start or other ways to deal with these things I'd love to hear them.

Also if anyone would be willing to help or provide some support on something like this it would be very much appreciated.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 11:40 PM
What operating system is the tablet running? If you clone the drive, then you're also cloning all the existing programs . For a laptop or desktop, I would suggest wiping the drive and then installing your operating system fresh from a disk, but I don't know how doable that is on a tablet (obviously you can't use a disk, but I don't know if there are other ways).

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 11:53 PM
It runs windows 8. I would clone the existing drive as a sort of back-up in case I mess up something.

However if I can just uninstall the useless programs without wiping the drive that would be good too.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)