Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 7:56 PM
Default Hair retexture help
I wish to retexture a hair that came with Teen Style stuff. I'm having a bit of trouble working out how to do it.

Where do you even start when you have something like this to work with?
[IMG[/IMG]

- I believe it requires more work than my cut & paste skills.

Is it possible for me to chop it up and move the hair texture around on the original image so that it looks more like this?
[IMG][/IMG]

That would, I think, make it easier to work with.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 8:30 PM Last edited by fakepeeps7 : 11th Apr 2014 at 8:43 PM.
No, that won't work. Hair (and clothes, objects, skins, etc.) are mapped a certain way, using a UV map that tells the game which part of the texture goes where. The only way you could alter the texture like in the second picture is if you also altered the UV map as well.

If you have the UV map for the hair you want to retexture, that might make it easier. Then you could see where all the different pieces go. You can search and see if anyone has extracted the UV map. If not, you'll either have to do that yourself of ask someone to do it for you.

EDIT:

Never mind. Here you go. It's 1024x1024. You might have to shrink it (I can't remember what size hair is.)

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 8:39 PM
That one's not too bad; you'd just have to use the warp and rotate tools in photoshop to rearrange the texture so it's in parts that are the same shape and have the hair going in the same direction as the original texture. That kind of mapping is why relatively few people retexture EA hairs, though.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 9:07 PM
Thank you both, that's very helpful.

@fakepeeps thank you for the UV map, but I don't even know what it does or what I am supposed to do with it The cut and paste of textures is my first foray into editing custom content and with photo editing programs. I have no idea what I am doing.

@Nysha. Does Paint.NET have the warp tool? If it does I cannot find it. I do not have photoshop.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 9:45 PM
If you've never done any retexturing before, I'd suggest starting with recolouring some clothing. There are tutorials you can follow on this site. It's a lot easier than recolouring hair, especially when you're learning.

(For future reference, the UV map can be used as a template to make sure you've got everything in the right place. For example, if you're doing a ponytail hair, you want to make sure the hair is in the right place and the elastic is in the right place... so you use the UV map to make sure your textures are where they should be. That's all, really. You don't actually put the UV map in the final product or anything like that.)

I don't know much about Paint.NET, other than the fact that it's pretty limited. If you don't have Photoshop, you can try the GIMP (which is free); it works much the same way as Photoshop and there are even some recolouring tutorials written specifically for it.

Good luck!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 12:00 AM
Thank you, I think I will try that out. I just thought Paint.NET was a similar program but I will have a go with Gimp and see if I can get on with that better.

I'll practice on some clothing recolours. Thank you for the advice. :D