Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 4:04 AM
Default Favorite Color Palettes ?
I have seen many people posting about slimming down there downloads folder for faster loading times and such, Back in the day I know Anna's colors were quite popular and quite a few others. What are the colors that people tend to like these days ? I see many recolors in Pirate colors and yeti colors. Personally, I like Poppets on tumblr and Any color you like by Curious. I would like to slim down my own Downloads folder, but still have a variety to choose from, but I feel like Anna's are just to much. Any thoughts ? I apologize if I put this thread in the wrong place.
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 4:20 AM
I like Amythestfenix's Linen colors, Shastkiss' Yet colors, the CuriousB colors you mentioned and a palette Kiri made for me based on eyeshadow colors I like - Colour Surge. BUT I don't have ALL the colors, that would be way too much. So I've kept just the colors that I really liked from each. (I kept the Yeti colors for build stuff only.) Which is still 43 colors.. plenty to choose from there. (OH! And if there are black and white recolors of a Maxis mesh I usually get/keep those too.)

Other than those, I must have all the stuff in Maxis Match woods. (When I make stuff I do recolors using those and the Lack colors but don't usually keep the Lack colors for myself.. unless it's the green. For some reason I really like that green, lol.)
Scholar
#3 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 9:34 AM
As above.

I'm a Maxis Match person so if it's AL Woods and LACK on an object I need, I'm there :P

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Scholar
#4 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 9:58 AM
Definitely Maxis Match AL Woods and MALM! But I also like CuriousB, Yeti and of course Poppet's colors :3
Field Researcher
#5 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 9:58 AM
Urgh, that's the one thing I can't decide on. I love colours. The ones I use the most at the moment:
- Buy mode, the bright and cheerful: Poppet, or Anna's / LuaSims colours if it hasn't been poppeted; also, AL woods & LACK
- Buy mode, the softer kind: Yeti & pirate woods (especially twig; I love twig so much! and rowboat) ; Amythest's linen --> these palettes work wonders on BuggyBooz's furniture
- Build mode: iCad's woods, Maxis-Match completers, a little bit of Yeti for the doors (Raynuss's set), CuriousB's palette for the walls, also Poppet for the tiles, wallpapers with Curiona moulding, and urgh it's a nightmare; also, Holy Simoly's "seaside" palette; and Parsimonious (not exactly a palette, but a general style)
- I'm tempted by neon, too, but I've been able to resist the temptation. So far.

... I'm doomed.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 2:49 PM
I'm a sucker for anything Michelle does in LACK, Malm and AL wood. And like mustluv I'll usually get black and white recolors for anything maxis if I don't already have them.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Theorist
#7 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 4:38 PM
I like variety (in moderation) and use select colors of Shastakiss' Yeti, CuriousB's Any Color You Like and HafiseAzale Skunky palette. For woods I love Michelle's AL & MALM, Shastakiss' Pirate, HafiseAzale's AL & Grunge/Dirty, Riekus13's and three of iCad's.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 5:29 PM
My sims' hair is mostly in Pooklet colors (not all colors, I sorted what I liked most). Furniture is mostly Anna's and wood ICad's and AL.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 5:33 PM
MALM, Yeti, LACK I think are my favorites

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 5:41 PM
AL woods, MALM woods and LACK colours. Like others I also try to get black and white recolours of many Maxis objects, if they don't already exist in game. I also quite like the Seasons woods, but not that many of my sims use them as there isn't as much stuff available.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 6:14 PM
Am I in the minority for not liking tons of recolours? I tend to prefer fewer options because I find too many to be overwhelming and I rarely use them. The exception is bedding and curtains. And I do have the many-coloured bathroom set but that's because it reminds me of the old British ones.

I also prefer just the four maxis match hair colours. I don't need all of my woods to match because they don't in real life, and half the fun is finding stuff which goes together but isn't too matchy-matchy.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#12 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
....Am I in the minority for not liking tons of recolours?

No. I don't like tons or recolors either, they make me want to run the opposite direction. But what really defines "tons of recolors"? For some that might be a very low number - like 20. For others it could be 200. Me? I've been redoing my downloads folder and I've decided 100 is the limit - but that's not for everything. That's mainly for things like Holy Simoly's curtains and Jonesi's bed blanket. Mystic Rain's cushions. Echo and Nengi's rugs (although I don't have 100 recolors of either of those). 100 may seem like a ton but considering the fact that I used to have over 300 recolors of the bed blanket alone? (I have a real problem there, lol.) 100 is fine for meshes like those, especially when you consider all of the meshes that are slaved to them (curtain add-ons, lots of stuff slaved to the blanket, all of the rug slaves, etc.).
Scholar
#13 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 7:06 PM
Out of curiosity, How does anyone slim down their downloads with color palettes?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 7:42 PM
Poppet's Lonesome colors are mine - not too many stuff available in them, though.
I could do with all Maxi's furniture in lonesome colors! I have Ikea stuff, rugs, walls and floors, beds, chairs, tables, curtains - you name it But I could use more!

Not a color palette, but I love some of the recolors by Michele - the florals and plaids she uses for seating, like this one: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=570749. The AL and Malm
recolors are very handy too. I have some recolors in most palettes, because I prefer using recolors for a simple reason - all game objects are updated for pets/FreeTime/whatever.
Inventor
#15 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Am I in the minority for not liking tons of recolours? I tend to prefer fewer options because I find too many to be overwhelming and I rarely use them.

You might, but then together with me and at least, you're not the only one.
I tend to go for a few per item. Although I certainly like and even need variaty, I prefer to find it in different types of items instead of in many colors of the same item.

About color palette. I can't say I go entirely for a certain creator who uses a certain palette.
It's more that I seem to like 'earth colors', so neon is definitely out of the question for me.
Most favorite is white or light wood.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
No. I don't like tons or recolors either, they make me want to run the opposite direction. But what really defines "tons of recolors"? For some that might be a very low number - like 20. For others it could be 200. Me? I've been redoing my downloads folder and I've decided 100 is the limit - but that's not for everything. That's mainly for things like Holy Simoly's curtains and Jonesi's bed blanket. Mystic Rain's cushions. Echo and Nengi's rugs (although I don't have 100 recolors of either of those). 100 may seem like a ton but considering the fact that I used to have over 300 recolors of the bed blanket alone? (I have a real problem there, lol.) 100 is fine for meshes like those, especially when you consider all of the meshes that are slaved to them (curtain add-ons, lots of stuff slaved to the blanket, all of the rug slaves, etc.).

So true!

I like my recolours for one item to fit on the first page, which means 7, though in practice I'm happy with some up to 10 or so. When there are two subsets, 7x7 is a possibility of almost 50 different colours for something! That ought to be more than enough IMO otherwise I start to feel like everyone's house is the same in different colours. The exception as I said is bedding and curtains. I think I have about 100 beddings, and I thought that was a lot! Two pages is okay. But I dislike scrolling in that little recolour picking window and I especially hate having too many recolours of clothing that I have to scroll past forever. I really want a maximum of about seven again unless they are all wildly different - I make an exception for some kids' clothing which is just too cute to pass up, or anything which edits the alpha, since those are versatile.

Field Researcher
#17 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 10:02 PM
In spite of my addiction, I try to limit myself to 20 (which in practice means I pick different palettes for different sets of objects); and like Catz and Simsfreq, versatile objects get more colours: the value counter, BB's kitchen, HS's curtains etc.
Instructor
#18 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 10:22 PM
I like Pooklet's neons, but only for some clothes. For anything else, I usually go with softer colors, like the ones by CuriousB for accesories and clothes, MALM and AL wood for furniture, and LACK for smaller things, like decorations.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 11:02 PM
I just realised one of my weaknesses is pretty names; or rather, a pretty colour combined with a pretty name. I like swatches. It's like having a collection of pretty things, if that makes sense? Say, the yeti palette. There's a colour in there that's called papaya. Papaya! Have you seen it? It's gorgeous! And the name for it is just right. It probably wouldn't be as pretty if it wasn't called papaya. Oh, and there's periwinkle, too. Same deal.

After much deliberation, I've recently started using those eyes . The colours are really pretty, but also... the names! Owl, Deer, Leaf, Rock, Moss... Frog!!! :lovestruc It's a really weird thing. Colours with pretty names are my version of a stamp collection, I suppose.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 11:18 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Feb 2017 at 12:11 AM.
I don't care much for color palettes. If I like the item, I'll download regardless of which color palette is used, as long as I like the style/color. The only palette I do use is Pooklet's for hairs - but I have gone to the lengths of editing them and making my own hair families a few times. Some of the original colors are a bit meh, so while I usually make all the swatches, I don't use all of them in my game.

I'm not fond of going through a ton of weird color names. I often find a lot of the palettes miss colors, or have a lot of similar colors. I don't need the same chair in 4 only slightly different lime green colors, or 3 peach colors for a table. I prefer having a wide range of different colors. I have found Anna's palette useful a few times, and will on occasion use other palettes.

Mostly I tend to make random colors for whichever project I'm working on, usually 1-4 different variants of each color in the rainbow and a few midtones, plus white, grey and black, and on occasion brown. I dislike using actions for single-colored furniture or clothes, and find the colors always look a little different depending on the underlying texture, so I do most coloring manually. I probably should make a color chart of my favorite colors, though.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#21 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 11:58 PM
Well with me it is "Whatever" suit my mood at the time. I never been afraid of colors I like soft and up beat colors, there are so many creators like Michelle and other who recolors always please me.
Plus I only download if I feel a maxis items really need a recolor.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#22 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
Out of curiosity, How does anyone slim down their downloads with color palettes?

In my case there are 4 color palettes that I like. At one time I had all the colors even though I didn't use most of them. Since there were recolors I never used, there were "useless" files in my downloads folder. I always meant to go through and weed the unused ones out but never got around to it. Once I figured out which colors from each palette I like and use the most - I was able to get rid of the ones I never use. Since there are 4 palettes with around 200 colors, that was a LOT. It took a bit of work but I think it was definitely worth it. And I made myself a little color chart to make future sorting a ton easier.

So I guess what all that means is: if you find yourself downloading ALL THE COLORS, then never using most of them? Palettes might help you slim your downloads folder a bit.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 3:23 PM
Anna's & Lua-sims's palettes are my weakness!! I just can't resist them. (I think this is partly what has led to my furniture folder alone having about 20,000 files in it.. )
Oh, a steampunk-medieval-goth highchair for elders? OK. But what's this, it comes in Anna's colours...
Mad Poster
#24 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 5:46 PM
I do like eyes.

I have realised though that what you're all talking about on this thread is not something I really pay attention to. I don't know what different pallettes are off the top of my head. I just look at the picture and go "Cute! I'll take it".

Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 6:00 PM
For hair, Maxis Match.

For color palettes in general, I like Any Color You Like, Anna's, and Poppet. (Not so fond of neons, though.) But I don't download all of them - I pick and choose.

The swatches that go with palettes are really useful in cutting down on the downloads, because I can thin through them then - "I like this green, don't need the others."