Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 4:28 AM Last edited by Kommode : 8th Aug 2015 at 7:07 AM.
Default Need mod creators advice
I've always thought it would be cool if sims could play guitar songs that can be chosen. A Smashing Pumpkin's song or something like that for example. I'm not exactly sure how I'd go around it. My idea was to pull guitar covers from Youtube, and then when they go to play a song on their guitar in Sims 3 there would be a customs option in which you could select the song or songs you inserted in the game. They'd start playing the guitar corresponding to the song you select. I also want to make sure sims can still gain skill from this, and make sure it won't interfere with mods that allow everyone to play the guitar.

I know nothing about modding. I just learned a bit about mods today, and I'm quite confused. Though, I don't want to waste my time learning about something that would be near impossible. What are your thoughts? Any detailed advice or opinions to why or why not this could happen would be great.

Another thing I thought of was if there was a way to take advantage of the custom songs in Sims 3 we can install, and correspond them with sims' preferences in the moment. Like, we would give certain moods to songs, and they would show up in the game WITH the mood under or on top of it. So, if a child sim is wanting a relaxing song he or she can turn on a song that is categorized with the the mood calm autonomously. Though, this would have to be planned with the sims' characteristics since they're not literal functioning human beings. Like, a teen with the characteristic hot headed would be more likely to chose a song with the mood "angry" under or on top of it to listen to; while a sim with prominently calmer characteristics will aim for a more uplifting song.

I know they sound like spontaneous ideas, but I like playing Sims 3 because it's realistic. Well, with the exception of mods. So, I wanted to make mods that connect sims more as humans more so than characters.

I've seen mods where people have matched traits like evil or mean spirited to troll posting mods since it's considered a mean act. I also know that we can insert custom options, make autonomous mods for certain actions, and install custom music. So, hopefully you guys can shed some light on how realistic and how difficult my ideas will be to pursue.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 5:16 AM
Sad news is, we can mod as much as EA allows. TS3 is not as flexible as you think. I wanted to be able to first person control a car to drive around town, but I learned quickly it wouldn't happen.

TS3 has reached its end of development, patch 1.67 is the last. And a lot of modders retired or moved on to TS4. What you are asking is some very advanced modding. It may be possible but someone has to be very knowledgeable to make some work around. So far, nobody has made any custom sound for instrumental musics in game as far as I know, let alone having a script to detect your sim's mood to play accordingly.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#3 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 9:57 AM
Moved to Modding Discussion.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Instructor
#4 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 10:39 AM
It is feasible but I think for you without modding experience at all, it will be difficult. To be able to code more complex mods means that you'll have to start with more basic ones. Inserting custom music isn't a common thing at all. Whatever goes, good luck