Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 10:35 AM
Default Question about art copyrights
Hey there!

I recently started modding and for the moment I am focusing on new paintings for the easel.

So I know, that I have to ask persmission from freelancing artists, before I can use and post the mod with their pictures.

But what about pictures from Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks and such? Or... pictures I can freely find on the internet... like memes and quotes?

Does anybody know when I need persmission and when not?

Hope somebody can help!

All the best
Advertisement
Deceased
#2 Old 23rd Dec 2017 at 5:34 PM
Kind of a grey area - the law is clear enough, if you make a derivative work based on their copyrighted art then you are absolutely breaking the law. The grey area is which companies would be likely to notice and what level of response they would pursue. Some won't notice at all, others might notice and think it's cool that someone made a fan-based artwork, and yet others might immediately send a CDMA take down notice.

Pictures you can freely find on the Internet are not considered copyright free. Even if no copyright notice is explicitly given on the web page, that work is still copyrighted. Even if they've turned a blind eye to web pages that are using that artwork, they can turn around and take umbrage at your copy and send out a CDMA (or worse if you're accepting any form of payment for the work).

At least one of the companies you mentioned, if they should notice the infringement and if you were accepting any form of payment, well let's just say that would make thier day. They'd be pleased as can be to skip the CDMA and proceed directly to a courier delivered cease and desist letter and if the work isn't removed in 24 hours they'd be utterly ecstatic to be able to begin the proceedings to have your car, home and possibly even your children taken from you. After taking everything you own (and possibly even a few things you don't own but happened to drive past on the way to the courthouse), their lawyers would dance naked around a bonfire for hours shouting out their praises to the mighty Walt who hath, even from beyond the grave, delivered unto them another soul to feast upon.

Or they might just settle out of court, dunno. And of course, it's likely they wouldn't even notice. YMMV as they say.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Dec 2017 at 2:20 PM
Damn... so I swim completly in dark waters if making a mod with pictures of those companies, right? Even if I don't get a CENT from putting those mods up...

So if I really dare to make mods, I can only hope they don't notice? >-< Uff...

That's really damn -.- But yes, I heard from a friend of mine, that one of those companies is kind of a jerk xD

Thanks a bunch for answering me, scumbumbo Wish you a merry christmas!
Test Subject
#4 Old 17th Apr 2022 at 5:54 PM
Followup question on image copyrights
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
Kind of a grey area - the law is clear enough, if you make a derivative work based on their copyrighted art then you are absolutely breaking the law. The grey area is which companies would be likely to notice and what level of response they would pursue. Some won't notice at all, others might notice and think it's cool that someone made a fan-based artwork, and yet others might immediately send a CDMA take down notice.

Pictures you can freely find on the Internet are not considered copyright free. Even if no copyright notice is explicitly given on the web page, that work is still copyrighted. Even if they've turned a blind eye to web pages that are using that artwork, they can turn around and take umbrage at your copy and send out a CDMA (or worse if you're accepting any form of payment for the work).

At least one of the companies you mentioned, if they should notice the infringement and if you were accepting any form of payment, well let's just say that would make thier day. They'd be pleased as can be to skip the CDMA and proceed directly to a courier delivered cease and desist letter and if the work isn't removed in 24 hours they'd be utterly ecstatic to be able to begin the proceedings to have your car, home and possibly even your children taken from you. After taking everything you own (and possibly even a few things you don't own but happened to drive past on the way to the courthouse), their lawyers would dance naked around a bonfire for hours shouting out their praises to the mighty Walt who hath, even from beyond the grave, delivered unto them another soul to feast upon.

Or they might just settle out of court, dunno. And of course, it's likely they wouldn't even notice. YMMV as they say.

I am also new to creating cc. I am working on creating Irish pub decor and wanted to use images for whiskey barrel signs to recolor the GT flower woodcut wall sculpture. I will not be seeking any payment for this content when/if I share it. I know that using the images and logos from Guinness, Jameson, Bushmills, etc may fall under fair use. However, some of the images that I have found, that are the best to use are coming from auction websites including ebay, Amazon, and other third-party sites. I have been reviewing the TOU and User Agreements from the host sites and the seller relinquishes intellectual property rights to the host company, but I do not know if I can still use the image, even if I am not making any money on it.

I have been looking for guidance on this which led me to this old post and the closest I have come to a question similar to my current question. I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting my question here, but I worried about creating a new thread when there was an existing one.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#5 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sexyirish7
I am also new to creating cc. I am working on creating Irish pub decor and wanted to use images for whiskey barrel signs to recolor the GT flower woodcut wall sculpture. I will not be seeking any payment for this content when/if I share it. I know that using the images and logos from Guinness, Jameson, Bushmills, etc may fall under fair use. However, some of the images that I have found, that are the best to use are coming from auction websites including ebay, Amazon, and other third-party sites. I have been reviewing the TOU and User Agreements from the host sites and the seller relinquishes intellectual property rights to the host company, but I do not know if I can still use the image, even if I am not making any money on it.

I have been looking for guidance on this which led me to this old post and the closest I have come to a question similar to my current question. I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting my question here, but I worried about creating a new thread when there was an existing one.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this.

Copyrights have to be followed from the original company or artist, so images from ebay and other such sites only matter if the original creator is selling the product. If you have a particular company's logo in mind, and it sounds like you do, then it would benefit you to go back to their websites and check out their terms of use. It's not likely that they'd ever know if you do use them without permission, but if they did find out they could make you take down your work, regardless whether or not you charge for your cc. You could, however, make some of your own designs, or have a friend help out! For example, change the language on the logo to Simlish and alter some colours and shapes, etc. Better safe than sorry!
Test Subject
#6 Old 21st Apr 2022 at 5:23 AM
Thank you!
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller
Copyrights have to be followed from the original company or artist, so images from ebay and other such sites only matter if the original creator is selling the product. If you have a particular company's logo in mind, and it sounds like you do, then it would benefit you to go back to their websites and check out their terms of use. It's not likely that they'd ever know if you do use them without permission, but if they did find out they could make you take down your work, regardless whether or not you charge for your cc. You could, however, make some of your own designs, or have a friend help out! For example, change the language on the logo to Simlish and alter some colours and shapes, etc. Better safe than sorry!

Thank you so much for your reply! This helps a lot. I am not sure yet how I will proceed. The cc is made and has been tested, I am just worried about the copyright issues. I have been reviewing the TOU for each company and I believe I would be okay. I only ran into issues with the ebay and auction site TOUs. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my query.