Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 1:09 PM
Other comments I may have : Having just looked around for a house to download (because it is very hot here and I am too lazy to build, but my one family has to get our of their starter) - I simply (and probably a totally unpopular view shared by nobody else) HATE a mailbox and a trashcan moved. They are 99% sitting in a space I want to use for something else. The other 1%, they are not working
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 2:45 PM
I usually go for unfurnished but furnished ones are fine. (i like decorating but also the decorations of others)
annnd, I like the houses/mansions with a lot of room. Especially the bathroom for some odd reason :D
Mad Poster
#28 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 8:38 PM
Bit of a disclaimer that I actually very rarely download any lots.

Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
a) When you go lookin for a lot, do you generally prefer ones that are fully furnished or unfurnished?

Furnished, I guess, so I know what all those rooms are actually meant to be.

b) If furnished, do you prefer lots with CC or no CC at all?

None at all. I prefer to download my CC myself so I can organize it properly (and easily remove it later if I decide I don't like it).

c) If you had to choose to stay within a price range, such as for a starter home, do you prefer a fully furnished on the inside or a nicely landscaped outside?

Most landscaping is frivolous imo, because it doesn't really have a purpose other than "looking cool." Pools are nice. Ponds are nice. Greenhouses are nice. A tree or two that drops leaves is okay. Trees that don't drop leaves are useless. Shrubs/flowerbeds are worse than useless.

d) If furnished, do you prefer the items to be of the very lowest cost (stove, bed, couch, chair) or ones that have better ratings (energy, cooking)?

STATS. If there's low-stat crap in a house, I'll usually delete it and replace it. And that goes double or triple or something for beds.

e) Do you prefer the fancy 'ohhh ahhh' houses or the every day street house?

Depends on the reason I'm downloading, but probably the 'ohhh ahhh' thing. That tends to drive the prices up, but I can throw together a simple, functional house myself in probably less time than it takes to download one.

What is it about a lot that will makes you want to download it and use it in game?

It looks like something I couldn't do myself or at least wouldn't have thought of. Medieval architecture, hobbit holes, fairy tree house, alien colonization barracks, etc.

I strongly dislike traffic jams so will more often than not walkin areas are 2 tiles wide.

My sims sometimes manage to get jammed in 2-tile-wide spaces. Just last night I had a sim get hung up on a double wide staircase!! I was like, "HOW???"

I like to be able to put a double bed in any room without a problem.

Same. When building, I usually throw down some placeholder double beds and then draw the rooms around them.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 3:34 AM Last edited by gazania : 17th Mar 2017 at 5:18 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
I'd posted pretty much this same topic a couple years back... some of the ideas there might be of use for you too!

This is really late (over a year!), but thank you for mentioning that other thread. I could have SWORN I posted on one. It was probably yours.

Most likely, CaliBrat already uploaded this lot a long time ago, but here goes:

a) When you go lookin for a lot, do you generally prefer ones that are fully furnished or unfurnished?
Lightly furnished. Just the basics.

A dozen CC items is my limit. If the list goes much over a dozen, I get glassy-eyed and won't load the lot. My Downloads folder hates me enough as it is, and if the items are pretty much only used on that lot, they take up valuable space. And I really don't like if a creator makes me go to a site to download something. Not because I can't be bothered to do it, but if the site disappears, there is a chance the downloads will as well, rather than be uploaded elsewhere.

c) If you had to choose to stay within a price range, such as for a starter home, do you prefer a fully furnished on the inside or a nicely landscaped outside?
A little of both. Lightly furnished and some light landscaping. Overdoing landscaping can also cause lag.

d) If furnished, do you prefer the items to be of the very lowest cost (stove, bed, couch, chair) or ones that have better ratings (energy, cooking)?

Depends on the lot.

Practical houses only, as justpetro wrote. I've deleted lots that look pretty as can be, but can't be expanded upon, have nasty routing issues, etc.

f) other comments you might have Like many here, most of the time, I make my own lots. I have an idea of what I want in my lot in my mind, and generally, it's better if I design what I want. But sometimes, a creator makes a lot that I know will work better than mine in a particular situation. I rarely if ever download houses that cost more than 100,000 Simoleons, by the way.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 5:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
And I really don't like if a creator makes me go to a site to download something. Not because I can't be bothered to do it, but if the site disappears, there is a chance the downloads will as well, rather than be uploaded elsewhere.

To be fair, that usually isn't the lot creator's fault. Some people don't allow you to include their meshes and make you link instead.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 5:33 PM Last edited by gazania : 17th Mar 2017 at 5:21 AM.
I understand that about certain policies, and I don't blame the lot creators for that. Actually, "blame" is the wrong word in any case. And to be honest, many times you can get the item elsewhere ... WCIF, Graveyard, Wayback, a master list of files, a private PM, etc. Further, it's not that important if it's something I can easily do without. If I don't have that painting, it's no big deal. It presents a problem if it's an essential part of the lot and I can't find that file anywhere.

I think "nervous" is a better word. I see an older download from a site that is an essential part of the lot's construction. The download dates from 2013, for instance. I don't know about the site. I do Google, but sometimes, that's not always the most accurate way to see what type of site I'll be visiting. I've had a few cases where the site disappeared or something happened to the site, Google still lists it, I go to the site, and I get something odd on the page that gives me malware. Sometimes a long-neglected URL can yield some undesirable results if no one's maintained it. Either that or the site disappeared without a trace and that file is gone baby gone.

I tend to err on the side of caution with older lot downloads (past two years), and if an essential element links to other sites and I'm not sure they're still around and I don't know if they've been abandoned, I don't download the lot.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 10:08 PM
a) Unfurnished or lightly furnished
b) No cc or very little.
c) I'm no good at landscaping so I'd go for that over furnishing
d) If it is furnished I'd prefer midrange rather than lowest cost.
e) Depends on what I'm looking for at the time. Both but ooh ahh tends to require all EPs
f) I prefer base game lots or ones that don't require BV since I don't have it. There have been many lots I like but can't download for that reason. (A couple of times I've copied them but it was time-consuming.)
Theorist
#33 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 11:18 PM
So I have a few questions for people who download lots.

f) other comments you might have

a) Depends really, but in general I prefer unfurnished. Some creators are offering furnished and unfurnished options.
b) NO CC. No matter if furnished or unfurnished, NO CC. I don't want to have to go though the hassle of having to uninstall pages of CC after installing a house.
c) inside. I like to do gardens myself.
d) well that depends on the function of the house.
e) That varies as well.
f) No CC. Seriously I cannot tell how often I go:

"Oh what a nice hou..."
*sees a long list below the line 'Custom Content Included'*
"....nevermind... "
Mad Poster
#34 Old 18th Mar 2017 at 11:41 PM
I would prefer the normal looking house rather than the mansion.
I would like it fully furnished. if I do not like what,s in there, i can change it.
No CC please, i want to decide what goes into my game myself.
I would prefer nicely landscape outside than fully furnished inside.
I hate nursery on any other floor than ground floor. I am not using a hack that lets toddler use stairs, so if a nursery is on a upper floor, I pass.
For the same reasons as above, no foundation is better for a family house, so everyone have access to the outside without needing help.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#35 Old 19th Mar 2017 at 8:01 AM
Don't use those base game stair cases, only one sim can use them at a time, and it is highly frustrating with general game play and a total disaster with ACR.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 2:31 AM
Two disclaimers, one's that I haven't played Sims 2 in a while now, other is that I really do appreciate those that create downloadable lots because it makes the game more enjoyable for the rest of us!

Also I realize this is an old thread, etc.

What I like for houses are lots with some basic furnishings included (bathroom, kitchen, maybe inexpensive seating, bookcase, and phone), so a Sim could actually live there if that's what they had. For community lots, that's a little different as I'd like to have something that's ready to use.

NO CC. Also, since I didn't have every expansion pack released I also look for the very limited number of lots available that only require what I have.

Partially answered above in "a," and personally I tend to look at furnishings versus landscaping.

They don't have to be the absolute lowest, but enough to be usable. I tend to not use the absolute-lowest-rated beds because the ratings are just that low. Would I direct a Sim to use one if it were there and they had no other option? Yes.

The usual houses, mainly because the plain ones seem to also seem less likely to have custom content and/or will work with the expansions that I have (well, had).
Instructor
#37 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 2:16 PM Last edited by Emperor Crat : 30th Mar 2017 at 12:29 AM.
Personally I prefer spacious lots, with adequate furnishings. Too much cc is enough to completely turn me off to any lot, no matter how nice it is.I also very much prefer it when both furnished and unfurnished versions are uploaded. I'm terms of stule, I love meditteranean, tudor, or "oriental" styles. I would prefer that there is nice landscaping-just not too overbearing, and tastefully incorporated furniture. I HATE crowded, overfurnished lots.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 4:57 PM
I have to agree about the overfurnished lots above - Sims need space to move around, especially if the family is growing. Personally, I prefer to add stuff rather than remove the stuff that I did not want in the first place. And if you don't install a cc item, chances are that some really weird Maxis objects may be scattered around the lot
Mad Poster
#39 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 6:09 PM
The only lots I've ever downloaded with cc were iCad's (I already had her cc, so the cc was irrelevant) and StephSims (medieval), as far as I remember. Otherwise I download EA-content-only lots. A single item is a dealbreaker: it's too much hassle to track down if I already have it, where it's filed, and I don't want two copies of whatever it is.
I make perfectly adequate lots for my purposes, except for super-cheap starter lots. I'm not any good at those. So like Jo's lots, or Phaenoh's Katrina lots, those I download. Lots under $10k. And I need those because I play with no20khandout and some sims aren't stupid about money, taking on a ton of debt to start out their lives, but also won't move back in with their parents.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#40 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 7:43 PM
I want to add, though, that uploaders should not be scared of using cc if they think it is necessary to enhance their lots, though. It is the going overboard that most players have a problem with - but some of the builders I really like (LadyAngel, Triciamanly come to mind, there are others as well) do use cc and they get the balance right in my humble opinion. Sometimes cc can really enhance a lot and make it easy to download it!

I think most players would be happy to download a wall a builder has made especially for a lot, or a light, or a sofa, or a painting, carpet, whatever - or even all of those in one home. Because downloading one painting or curtain is fine by me - what is less fine is to go and try to find a curtain's mesh in the graveyard and the recolor on a link that is not working any longer. I think one of the most important things is that links have stopped working, certain sites and creators are gone, and if the uploader cannot include one of those cc items, it should rather be left out from the start. It is really nasty if you eventually find all the needed stuff and then stumble upon a link that is removed. I know that recolors is a pain too, some just do not want to pack with the rest of the lot.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#41 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 11:42 PM
Everyone has their own preferences, so if you build and upload you know the old saying: "You can't please everyone-so you may as well please yourself.

Of course if that means uploading something with a 130 links you can expect it to be shot back from the queue and hit you in the eye!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#42 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 12:33 AM
The primary issue I have with cc in lots is if you've played the game for a while-chances are your folder's already chock full of cc furnishings and the like, and more cc usually equals longer loading times (at least for me). A few pieces is fine if truly necessary, but I understand that many downloaders have played for a while, and don't have 'supercomputers'. I mean goodness! Have you seen the "How many gigs of cc do you have" thread. So, practicing regulation when incorporating cc pieces is likely quite beneficial for a vast majority of downloaders.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 30th Mar 2017 at 2:07 AM
Quote:

Furnished, but lightly.

Quote:

No CC. It's a pain.

Quote:

No preference.

Quote:

Cheap. I can upgrade them myself.

Quote:

Depends on the day.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Page 2 of 2