Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 2:35 PM
Default Walls view – which one do you use?
Another random question – which walls view do you use? I’ve noticed in plenty of screenshots I’ve seen that people tend to use the walls down setting, while I always use either walls up (high walls?) or the roof visible, depending on whether I have some kind of attic that wouldn’t be visible with the roof view turned on. I couldn’t use any other setting as I’d just feel lost in my sims’ house
(I have no idea about proper English names for those settings, and I’d appreciate someone with an English version to mention the names so I could correct them in the title and in the post.)

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 2:42 PM
Auto-cutaway walls (second from the left) - I want to see the Sims not the building ... except ... when "I want to shamelessly admire my own handiwork"

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 3:14 PM
Walls down, most of the time - I also want to see the Sims, because they are far too fond of doing things behind my back if I don't.
Link Ninja
#4 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 3:20 PM
Cut-away walls mostly. I like taking pics and always looking at the background for decent shots.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 3:21 PM
Walls up. I modded my camera so that I can zoom in really close when i want to see things from my sims' perspectives.
Scholar
#6 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 4:05 PM
Cutaway walls in TS2
Walls down in TS1

I'll put the walls up or display the roof when I want to take a nice picture.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Inventor
#7 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 4:30 PM
I play with the walls down during daylight hours, so I can see what's happening on the roadway outside. When darkness falls, I snuggle down with my sims, and the walls go half up. The only time I use walls completely up is for taking photos - oh, and when building, to check I've painted them all.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 4:51 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Mar 2017 at 5:17 PM.
I use the cutaway for live mode and in some degree for decorating, and walls up for building and photoshoots. Hardly ever use walls down. I only use the roof up if I'm taking outside photos.

I prefer having large (but not ridiolously large) rooms, to make photoshoots easier, usually 4x4 squares or more, and I prefer rooms to be placed on the edges or corners, so there's at least 1-2 walls that won't cut away.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 5:01 PM
I switch back and forth constantly depending on the lot and the situation. I hardly ever have occasion to take the walls all the way down, but usually have half walls up so I can see what's going on in more than one place. If I direct or sense a story event or photo op coming up I put walls (and sometimes roof, and change level) all the way up and zoom in tight for the snapshot. If the space is large enough, or all the important stuff is happening outdoors, I'll play with walls and roofs all the way up, because it looks better.

This is one reason most of my rooms are on the large side - I want to be able to see everything and not have to spend 90 years on pause maneuvering the camera to get my picture. The smaller the room, the more tightly you have to zoom in with the walls up.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 5:17 PM
Usually I'll play with walls down, but when I want to check on details such as lighting or doors, I'll put them up and even have the ceiling on display. I think it creates a atmosphere of 'being right with them' when you do that.

And I always use those two when I'm taking pictures in game.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#11 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 6:41 PM
I used to play with walls cutaway but now I find I much prefer them fully down. But of pics, of course, if at all possible I put them up. Often put the roof on too.
Scholar
#12 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 6:45 PM
I mostly use cutaway walls, unless I need the walls up to decorate or to lock/unlock a door, or the walls down to see a Sim in the back yard. Some of the default houses don't work well with cutaway walls and I might put the walls down during the day in those, but I restore the cutaway at night so they don't look as if they're sleeping in the open air.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 7:01 PM
The results are pretty much as I expected, i.e. not many people playing with walls up. I don’t have trouble with seeing sims like that, I like to play looking at them from above, zoomed out so I can see most of the house or sometimes all of it. I sometimes zoom it when I feel like being closer to my sims, but not for long, I need to zoom out again because otherwise I feel like I’m out of control if I don’t see more, even if there’s no-one in other rooms, I’m just weird like that I pause a lot to be sure everyone has enough actions (or long actions) in their queue so they normally don’t get a chance to do anything on their own, but I don’t think it has something to do with me using walls up. I know, I sound like someone who should have free will off (and I used to have it off for many years), but I somehow don’t want to turn it off completely.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Forum Resident
#15 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 8:17 PM
I play with walls down 95% of the time. I do use Twojeffs's hack to keep paintings viewable, but cutaway doesn't work well for houses where one room is in front of another. It's more important that I see where all the sims are than their decor. I prefer to have the camera level or nearly level with the sims, and watch them up close.

I'm not much for taking pictures but if I did, I'd make the walls go up fully and whatever zoom adjustments were needed.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 8:30 PM
For playing = cutaway.
For picture taking = up full
100% of the time

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#17 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 8:56 PM
Mostly cutaway. Somehow I cannot stand walls down, like something is missing all time.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 10:29 PM
The same - cutaway most of the time and walls up for decorating and photos. I've only used walls down in a couple of poky houses which had too much stuff in a cramped space.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 11:08 PM
Cut-away for game play. Walls up (and sometimes roof) and ceilings on when I'm taking pictures/videos.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#20 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 11:30 PM
Walls up (and roof visible) if my Sims are outside, or I can manage to get the camera into the room and still see what's going on in it. Walls down when I can't find a visiting Sim who I know is in the house somewhere, or to check "Who was that, that just walked past the front window?". Otherwise it's cutaway walls. Most of my houses have small rooms, so I don't get to play with walls up as often as I'd like.

I like a Sim's point of view camera angle and I like to zoom in close. I quite often concentrate on one or two Sims, but then I'll frequently pause the game and check round the lot that everyone else is safe and (reasonably) happy. As a result my game spends far more paused than actually running!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 28th Mar 2017 at 11:35 PM
For playing cut away unless the lot is particularly small with things in the way, then it would be down.

Picture taking up, always.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#22 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 2:25 AM
Cutaway walls is my default in play, though I use walls down on particularly complex lots. Photos are done with walls and roof up.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 2:29 AM
If I'm playing then it's cutaway view. When I take screenshots I put them all the way up. Otherwise, if I'm building the floorplans of a house, they're all the way down
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 5:43 AM
cut away walls usually. I usually put walls up to take pics but play with them cut away so i can see what my Sims are up to

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#25 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 11:29 AM
Cutaway walls.
Page 1 of 2