Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2016 at 9:05 AM
Default Twikkii Beach Hotel (Maxis Remodel)
My remodled Twikki Beach Hotel. I built this a while ago. What do you think?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th May 2016 at 2:26 PM
First off - never give too much weight to any one person's opinion. Especially if that person is just not getting your concept.

I think it looks a lot more downmarket and less tropical exotic than the original. If that's the concept you were going for, you succeeded. If it's not, wait and see if other commenters agree with me and see if you can figure out why it strikes me that way.

I think you did this all without CC, which is a big plus in my book. But - autumn leaf carpet in a tropical beach hotel? I'm sure you can find some more thematically appropriate carpet, even without using CC! And fancy hardwood floors in the rooms and halls? Those are always carpet in my experience. I never use gyms IRL but I doubt they're floored with parquet either. The walls on the balconies will reduce the breeze and therefore the point of having a balcony (but a lot of hotels and apartments do this anyway).

As a personal taste thing I hate those simulated pillars with made from enclosing blank space in walls - they look so ugly with walls down, and seem to me to be a waste of space. But a lot of very popular builders do that, so use your own judgement.

I use hotels so seldom (finding vacation residences more cost effective, and anyway it's over a year since I sent a sim on vacation) that I find myself unable to judge the layout. That said, some of the rooms look awfully big and I don't much see the point of single rooms with one single bed in it. Single sims on vacation are likely to need single beds to bring their hookups back to!

One of the big disadvantages I found hotels had was having the TV in the room, since sims aren't coded to be considerate of partners trying to sleep. Is it possible to build hotels with suites of rooms, so there's a sitting room with the TV in it and a separate room to sleep in? Or two bedrooms, one with doubles and one with singles? If you can, a fancy hotel should have at least one suite, renting which might be more economical than renting multiple rooms. I bet someone comments soon who knows this.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)