Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2015 at 4:19 AM
Default How To Take The Exact Colors Of Skins In An Editing Program And Put Them Onto A Different Skin?
Okay, I know the title is vague, too long, and probably makes no sense, but I'll try to explain my question in a bit more detail.

I've been working on a Multi-PT mod for a while now. I was actually able to make a set of PTs using Simgaroop's illustrated tutorial of Fwiffo's original tutorial, but decided to scrap what I'd had and restart from scratch. I'd decided this time around that I wanted all of my human and nonhuman skins to match each other, so I'd found some gorgeous human skins I'd wanted to use as the basis of my alien skins (since the skins I'd picked didn't have nonhuman versions and I don't want to use human skins for my nonhuman Sims). I'd ran through the process of editing a skin in Photoshop once already, but the final result of the skin I'd edited looked gross and too Maxis-y for my taste, so I scraped that as well. This time, I have a bit more experience in Photoshop, as well as an idea of what I want to do; I really like Almighty Hat's edit of Mouseyblue's Bare Faced Skins (which is actually what I used the very first time I made a Multi-PT mod). I would have used it again, but like I said, I want everything to be consistent, so I'm not going to. I do, however, like the actual skin tone / color of the skin and want to use it on the skins I will create. So, if you managed to get through all that rambling, here's what I'm trying to ask: how do I take the exact colors of Hat's skin and put them on the skin I'm editing? I tried changing the tint, hue/saturation, and filters of the skins I made to make them look similar to Hat's skin, but the end result just looked really bad.

There might be a really obvious answer to this that I'm just not thinking of, and I apologize for asking if there is. I hope my question makes sense, and that someone will be able to give me an answer. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 16th May 2015 at 8:56 PM
The only ways I can think of are eyeballing it, like you did, or if Almighty Hat used specific Actions (I think that's what they're called in Photoshop; they're Curves in Gimp) to color the skin, then track down those if they are available.

But do you have any more details regarding what you mean by the "end result just looked really bad"? I usually eyeball things myself, and I can't say it's ever given me too much of a problem.

Sorry I'm no help, though.

ETA: Just to be clear, you only want the colors to match. You don't want to use the same textures, right?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th May 2015 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SleepyTabby
The only ways I can think of are eyeballing it, like you did, or if Almighty Hat used specific Actions (I think that's what they're called in Photoshop; they're Curves in Gimp) to color the skin, then track down those if they are available.

But do you have any more details regarding what you mean by the "end result just looked really bad"? I usually eyeball things myself, and I can't say it's ever given me too much of a problem.

Sorry I'm no help, though.

ETA: Just to be clear, you only want the colors to match. You don't want to use the same textures, right?

I guess I exaggerated a bit; the end result itself wasn't really bad. It was, though, noticeably different from what I was intending to make.

On Almighty Hat's skin, do you see how there are a couple different colors and how they all kind of mesh together? (I'm not sure how to describe it, but I'm pretty sure it's obvious when you look at it). That's what I want, but on the skin I'm using. I guess if I can't get the exact colors, I'll just have to eyeball it - though I'm not sure how to do that exactly.

I'm sorry if this is really vague, repetitive, or just makes no sense. I hope that you understand what I'm trying to get across, though. Thank you for the help you've given me so far - I really appreciate it
Screenshots
Instructor
#4 Old 17th May 2015 at 1:16 AM Last edited by SleepyTabby : 17th May 2015 at 2:06 AM.
Ah, I see what you are getting at. That one is going to be trickier. I'm going to see if I can't do something similar in PaintShop and I'll get back to you if I have any good results (and hopefully some pointers).

By the way, thanks for the comparison pictures. It helps illustrate what you want (bad pun, sorry!).

ETA: Okay, here are my results. They're not as refined as what you'll probably want, but you should be able to fiddle with this and get what you want, I hope.

First, I started with a red-based skin, something similar to Maxis's default S1. In this case, my Posie skin from my Imperfection skin set. Then, I adjusted the RGB values (you should have something similar in Photoshop; all it does is let you adjust the Red, Green, and Blue very specifically). The values I chose were Red -20, Green 13, Blue 27. This turned it a fairly blue-gray color, which matched up with the base color of Hat's skin.

The next thing I did was go into Hue/Saturation/Lightness, and changed ONLY three channels. I did not adjust the master channel, since that would change the tone of the whole body. From the drop-down menu in PaintShop, I made adjustments to Cyan, Red, and Green. For Cyan, I changed the Hue to -130 and the Saturation to -30. I tweaked Red's Hue to 25. Green's Hue was changed to 20.

It's not perfect, but maybe this can give you a start.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#5 Old 19th May 2015 at 8:58 PM
It would be very helpful if you told us what skin you used but anyways, here is my attempt. Not happy with it, it doesn't look like Hat's skin.
Screenshots