Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 4th May 2014 at 3:42 AM
Unfortunately, getting them up at 3 doesn't work when you've only noticed the homework as you're getting them ready for school and thought ... *censored*. XD
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#52 Old 4th May 2014 at 6:48 AM
HAH! My Sim kids only do homework if they roll a want to do it. Not all kids do, but those who do usually roll it when they wake up in the morning. Those are usually the serious ones, and I have a mod that makes school/homework fun for geeky serious kids. So, in that case, having those kids do homework in the morning before school is one of the things I have them do to fill up their fun bar before school. Plus it keeps that/those kid(s) occupied while I get others in the household ready for work/school.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 4th May 2014 at 10:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
HAH! My Sim kids only do homework if they roll a want to do it. Not all kids do, but those who do usually roll it when they wake up in the morning. Those are usually the serious ones, and I have a mod that makes school/homework fun for geeky serious kids. So, in that case, having those kids do homework in the morning before school is one of the things I have them do to fill up their fun bar before school. Plus it keeps that/those kid(s) occupied while I get others in the household ready for work/school.

Not doing homework doesn't make your grades drop far enough for the Social Worker to come?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#54 Old 4th May 2014 at 11:48 AM
If it's the same mod that I use, homework only comes home sometimes. I think iCad uses a social worker mod. I keep meaning to put in Pescado's that only has the SW come for really neglected kids.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#55 Old 4th May 2014 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
If it's the same mod that I use, homework only comes home sometimes. I think iCad uses a social worker mod. I keep meaning to put in Pescado's that only has the SW come for really neglected kids.

That's the only problem I have with Pescado's hack. The SW only comes if the number of failing children exceeds the number of passing children in the household. But, if you only have one kid and they're failing ... I'd prefer her not to come at all for grades.

I mean, in RL do you get your kids taken away if they're failing school? Wouldn't you just get school intervention (if anything)? What if your sim kid has a learning disability or something. Not everyone is top of the class.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 4th May 2014 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
That's the only problem I have with Pescado's hack. The SW only comes if the number of failing children exceeds the number of passing children in the household. But, if you only have one kid and they're failing ... I'd prefer her not to come at all for grades.

I mean, in RL do you get your kids taken away if they're failing school? Wouldn't you just get school intervention (if anything)? What if your sim kid has a learning disability or something. Not everyone is top of the class.

Well, in RL they'd come if you do not send your kids to school at all, AND didn't go for homeschooling either...
In the game, not going to school does the same thing as not doing your homeworks, aka grade failing...maybe this is why?
I'd rather the SW would not come for grades either though.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Undead Molten Llama
#57 Old 4th May 2014 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Not doing homework doesn't make your grades drop far enough for the Social Worker to come?

Nope, because like Jo said, I modded out the social worker. To me, she's far too unrealistic. I mean, you can leave a baby exposed on a lot, never feed it, not do anything with it at all, and it takes the SW days to come and take the baby away. But God forbid that a child-age Sim should be left alone for the hours between the time they get home from school and the time their parent(s) gets home from work. Or they get a little hot or cold while having all kinds of fun playing outside, often with their very loving parents/siblings. Or they *gasp* don't do well in the traditional (and, IMO, quite inadequate) school system. Nope. Nope, nope, nope. Out she goes. The only time she appears in my game is to drop off adopted kids. I don't generally play "abused kids" families because my Sim world is mostly a shiny-happy one. Even children of homeless parents are fairly well looked-after because I have a system of manually-run, tax- and/or religion-funded public assistance. But when I do have "abusive" families, I take their kids away manually and put them up for adoption using the Sim Blender. Or I move them in with another playable foster family, at least until the birth parent(s) get their act together and earn a chance to get them back.

But even if I hadn't modded the SW out, child-age pixels are rarely in danger of flunking out because most of them will roll "Do Homework" wants at least here and there. It's the teens that never roll such wants, at least not in my game, not even Knowledge ones. So I have to modify my system a little with them or else none of them would ever go to college. So, I "roll a die" to decide if they'll do their homework each day, the outcome of which is weighted according to aspiration and level of seriousness. So, I have lots of teens who do, indeed, fail at school. Just like, you know, real life. Such teens don't get taken away from their parents, for heaven's sake. And even if they did, only the failing kid would be taken, not ALL of them. Just....nope, nope, nope.

And yes, the homework mod I use also means that kids/teens don't get homework every day. Which is useful especially in my age-modded neighborhoods because the child/teen stages total 56 days and...That's a lot of homework.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#58 Old 4th May 2014 at 10:09 PM
I would rather the SW not come for grades at all because I do use a harder grade mod as well, and a child's grade slips down more quickly with that than a vanilla game does. But since I want her to come for really neglected kids, and for babies and toddlers left untended-because that is neglect, I do still need her there rather than stopped all together. So far Pescado's mod seems to be the closest thing to what I want. Kids can be left an hour or two and get hot playing. Maybe there is some kind of sanity in place for a family with only one child in his mod? The other annoyance with grades is you can't have a failing teen with a job. I don't often play pre mades, but I quite like the Brokes, even though for me that's an easy challenge, she should try living like my homless sims. But while Dustin has a job as a criminal he doesn't seems like a kid who would do his homework, but if you played that out he would end up losing his job due to school failure. I'm sure his criminal boss really cares about that D he is getting in science.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#59 Old 4th May 2014 at 11:19 PM
Jo, Inge's no social worker mod does not even allow parents/adults to leave the lot if it would result in babies/toddlers/children being left alone on the lot. However, the social worker doesn't come if kids just come home from school before parents get home from work. I like that all responsible parties just can't leave the lot with babies/toddlers/children there because that, to me, does indeed constitute neglect. But child-age pixels coming home before parents and having to fend for themselves for a couple of hours isn't neglect. Also, no SW at all for failing grades, temperature issues, starving-ness, etc., leaving you free to handle those things (or not) as you wish to handle them. However -- and this is possibly good, if you want to play some "street urchins" -- the SW also won't come if all responsible parties die. So, you can have independent children, so to speak, but I imagine this would cause problems if there were babies on the lot, since there might be no one to help them grow up. That's never happened to me, though. And if it did, I'd exit without saving.

So, that's why I like Inge's mod as opposed to Pescado's. Also, unlike Boiling Oil's, Inge's doesn't disable the SW coming to drop off adopted kids. So, it's the one I like/use. I guess maybe try out a few different ones on testing families and see which one's features you like best.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#60 Old 4th May 2014 at 11:46 PM
iCad, does Inge's mod allow parents to go whoohoo in the car? So often on a married parent date they roll that want, but the game stops them because "I can't leave the little ones home alone!" Argg, woman you are only out on the driveway and your 'little ones' are about 8 and 10 years old! This was the main annoyance along with heat that made me look to a SW mod, just to give the parents and the battle axe herself a bit of sense.

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#61 Old 5th May 2014 at 12:23 AM Last edited by iCad : 5th May 2014 at 12:42 AM.
That, I don't know, as I never have Sims other than teens woohoo in cars, I'm afraid. I suspect it won't allow it, though, because it doesn't allow the responsible parties to go off-lot, and apparently the game thinks that once you get in a car, you're off-lot, even if the car stays in the driveway. I don't think that coding has anything to do with the SW, which is why Inge's mod doesn't let you leave for work if doing so will leave no responsible parties on the lot. So...in order to do that, you'd have to get Boiling Oil's mod, I suppose, but then you're back to Sims being able to leave babies/toddlers home by themselves all day, and I...just don't like that. Although I suppose you never have to actually DO that...but it will also allow responsible parties to autonomously leave for work/school and leave little ones alone, so you'll have to watch them and cancel the leaving. Other than that workaround...I guess there's just no winning. You'll have to pick the best compromise.

Oh, and I forgot this bit before: No matter what you do with the SW, a teen still can't have a job if they have failing grades, so that, too, apparently has nothing to do with the SW coding. I don't often use the teen careers, so this issue doesn't often arise for me, but when it does, I figure that if the kid is going to fail out of school, he's not going to be really responsible about going to a job, either. (And if I thought he/she would be, I'd probably set them as an independent teen, representing a high school drop-out and then only allow him/her the kind of non-"academic" careers.) I agree, though, that the Criminal career is problematic in that regard. In that one case, I'd probably just cheat Dustin to a C and keep him there.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#62 Old 5th May 2014 at 3:02 AM
I don't like leaving a baby or toddler home alone either, good parents don't do that. It's one thing for an 8 year old to come home and watch TV for an hour and another for a lone 2 year old. It seems whatever mod I pick will have something about it I don't care for. I might have to test them both.
I think with Dustin, cheating the C might be the only solution.

~Call me Jo~
Page 3 of 3