Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 7:44 PM Last edited by Tleilaxu3 : 21st Sep 2014 at 2:15 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default * Solved* " Red Apocalypse Sky" by Psychosim -- Anyone have this Hood Deco ? Problem with placing it.
[IMG]second one[/IMG] [IMG]picture of Strangetown hood with red sky piece[/IMG] psychosim.livejournal.com/4708.html

http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...72312#msg472312

--- Some links to this fabulous red sky.

Went to place it in my Strangetown and cannot get it to look right. I've browsed through MTS and other sites and can't find the right way to place this.
Sorry if there's a thread here--- any help is appreciated.

Read through the comments on both of these links and there hasn't been a comment on either of them for a long time ; I didn't want to commit 'threadcromancy'.

I realize that this red sky cannot be seen in 'lot' view, and for more effects in 'lot' view, you need Gunmod's radiance 2.1 and Chris997's sky/cloud/weather effect.

My Strangetown is Tarlia's clean hood and all hacks to prevent game spawning sims. etc. are installed.

Found the right spot... down the road in front of Beaker's, on the same side as their lot --- headed off towards the edge of the map.
Make sure to place as far away as the camera view will let you.
Point the red tab so it looks like a diamond shape with the bottom/top pointed at the Beaker's lot ; and angled slightly away from the road about 45 degrees.

Place about a four-square lot away from the road.
Good luck with this !

" Inama Nushif "
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 12:45 AM
I'm not sure what problem you're having, but the sky objects are hard to work with. Some people like to make a 'hole' in the ocean, if you have one on your map, and put the sky object there. I just put it somewhere near the map border where it can't be easily seen in a shot and move it around until I get the effect I want. It's not perfect. The earlier sky objects had a green terrain horizon border that you had to disguise or work around, so maybe that's what you mean by not looking right.

Here's another sky object that might be easier to work with. There's no horizon line.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 2:05 AM
Thanks, eliset ; I'll try nimi's version !
Tried to post a photo, but when in neighborhood view of Strangetown, it looks like I stuck a giant red cereal bowl on its' side in the middle of the hood. Bowl/dome shaped, yes, but on its' side instead of covering Strangetown.
You can even see the 'red cereal bowl' in lot view.
Bummer as I'd wanted that sky so my sims could suffer from their Apocalypse even more. *giggle*

" Inama Nushif "
Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 3:09 AM
yeah, that's part of the problem with those things. In the lots or in the neighborhood, you can get that half bowl effect. If you're using the object to take shots, you just have to move it around until you don't see the open sky.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 5:06 AM
Are your graphic settings on high? Some sky affects only work with high graphics and long view distance. I wanted to add clouds but my game couldn't handle it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 3:37 PM
Yes, I'm playing with high graphics and the widest/long view distance. Old computer.
Tried to install my sims on my husband's Windows 8 and struggled with it for three days --- his pc won't even allow me to open/view the "Grumpy Downloader". Bleh.

My pc is an older model about 6 years : Here are the specs :

Win Vista 6.0.Build 6002
HP Pavilion
KQ497AA-ABA m934of
BIOS Date: 04/21/08 11:00:40 Ver:5.23
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
6142MB RAM
2005MB used, 10432 MB available
Direct X 11

I'm running my sims on a very old pc, but I like how it handles for the most part.
The Apocalypse sky from Psychosim looked in the photo like it covered the entire sky --- but I fiddled a bit more with the neighborhood object from him/her, and in neighborhood view, it either looks like a half or partial rounded bowl in the sky, or like an arcing strip of red. I turned the red object square around and around, but so far it eludes me --- just cannot make it look like it covers all of Strangetown.

Not a big deal, I DID like the cloud effects seen in the lot view created by Nimi.

" Inama Nushif "
Field Researcher
#7 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 3:54 PM
I have a new custom built PC running Win 7 with a GeForce GTX660 graphics card, only 8MG of RAM but the game loads and performs just about perfectly. I use the longest, widest view with the highest graphics and still get the bowl effect. I can work with it and eliminate it with some lots, but not with all of them unfortunately. The closer to the edge of the map, the bigger slice you see under the bowl.

I use the lot view object all the time even when I have to fight the bowl. The effects are gorgeous.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 8:58 PM
What's kind of funny is that with Chris997's original sky object (the one for lot view) , one of the bubbles is red ---and when you place it on your lot---the whole sky looks like the neighborhood object should look ---a nice, apocalyptic red. But when you go into 'live' view and enable your sims to walk around, it vanishes and you only have the choices on the bubble.
Still like Nimi4's better ; thanks again for the link, eliset !
Thanks everyone for your help --- am going to keep messing around a bit with the weather/atmosphere changers. I'm having way too much fun !!

Wonder if it's o.k. to use Chris's original and Nimi's recolors for the lot view object weather color changer ; at the same time ?? Then I can switch between many more different sky colors. :D

" Inama Nushif "
Field Researcher
#9 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 11:48 PM
I don't know, but there are many, many recolors of Nimi's skies, like this one by 13pumpkin at Black Pearl Sims. I don't know what would happen if you combined two of them on the same lot. Maybe nothing. You could always save your lot and try it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 1:07 AM
Tried combining Chris997's original and Nimi4's ; using both on a lot at separate times ... nothing went wrong.
I've been testing an experimental Strangetown for a week with some other CC objects from GOS --- The main hood is saved elsewhere.

Off-topic, but I found out (knock on wood) that none of my tombstones disappear when I play only one hood at a time.

Thanks for the link !!!

" Inama Nushif "
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 2:11 AM
A few more links for lot view skies... going off to try them out.

danicast.dreamwidth.org/6619.html

shadowfell-sims.tumblr.com (Scroll down)

ja-viera.livejournal.com/11280.html

The one by Danicast has the most reddish one that is as close as I'll get to the Psychosim's Apocalypse sky.

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#12 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 5:50 AM
For the neighborhood skies, turn your neighborhood. They cover the whole neighborhood, but only if you place the clickable square in one corner--and it matters which one. I don't know which it is, I just always spin the neighborhood around until I get it right.

I use Nimi's, which, if I remember correctly, are recolors of Psychosims, so hopefully this will work.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 6:12 AM
Ohhh, o.k. I will give it another try. Still wanted that creepy-looking red Apocalypse sky from Psychosim aka Pinkosim ....
If I can get it to look right in Strangetown ; I'll let peeps know which corner worked. *crossing my fingers*
I thought about posting on GOS to Psychosim, but that thread/topic hasn't had a reply in ages, and he/she may not read it.
thanks Sunbee.

P.S. Wanted to add that Psycho. said this neighborhood sky object couldn't be seen in lot view --- but my pc certainly showed the colored strip or half circle from lot view when set to largest.

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 3:45 PM
If it's covering half the sky, couldn't you place two and rotate one so that they match up?

There's a separate one which works in lot view, I have it. You need that and the neighbourhood one for best effects.

Edit: The lot view one is the original by Chris. The neighbourhood one was Psychosim's from LJ.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 6:20 PM
Hi simsfreq ; Sorry I didn't explain this right. When in neighborhood view, Psychosim's Red Apocalypse Sky looks more like a curved strip of color ... while turning it, I got the half bowl effect for a second, but placing two of the red tabs still didn't cover the sky.
I am trying to place it on the edge of Strangetown---or at least as far as the camera angle will allow !

When I downloaded the red neighborhood sky, a red lot view one came with it--- when the sims are enabled ---the red disappears.
Wish I could enable the red apocalypse sky while in lot view.
It LOOKS like a lot option was included with the neighborhood decoration. (?)

" Inama Nushif "
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 6:44 AM
I never knew this existed... still so much to explore with TS2. <3
Tleilaxu- check it out!
http://aurna.tumblr.com/post/785285...-8-or-8-1-guide
I'm going to try this in a couple of days on a brand new ASUS. :-) Her instructions seem a lot less complicated than other methods.