Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 5:28 PM
60 dollars is average for a new game from a major game developer even if it isn't a triple AAA title.. that being said EA has not released demo versions of any of their games from any of their subsidiaries or IP's in over 10 years. Not Mass Effect, not Dragon Age, not Sims basically unless you get in in the Beta testing stage, or attend an EA Event, or a gaming convention you don't get to demo games from EA. It might be different for the console versions of their games but this has very much been the case for the PC versions of their games.
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nightspore
No, actually the comparison was between a game that could provide you with potentially 100's of hours of entertainment, and a film which provides you with a few hours of entertainment. Nothing strange there.

I can compare too. TS4 is pretty bad for a movie. You can't drive it anywhere either.

Also, you think you bought a game, but it was actually your first down payment Let's continue this discussion after some ep's and stuff packs completes the base game.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deestar
60 dollars is average for a new game from a major game developer even if it isn't a triple AAA title.. that being said EA has not released demo versions of any of their games from any of their subsidiaries or IP's in over 10 years. Not Mass Effect, not Dragon Age, not Sims basically unless you get in in the Beta testing stage, or attend an EA Event, or a gaming convention you don't get to demo games from EA. It might be different for the console versions of their games but this has very much been the case for the PC versions of their games.

About those demos... EA have those Great Game Guarantee for most of their major titles where you can buy from origin and have 24 hours to return it for your money back once launched. That counts as a demo, I'm supposed?
Scholar
#29 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
About those demos... EA have those Great Game Guarantee for most of their major titles where you can buy from origin and have 24 hours to return it for your money back once launched. That counts as a demo, I'm supposed?

Not really-a demo is where you download the game and play a small portion of the game not the full game. Currently EA has very few game demos available basically just Mass Effect 3, the FIFA soccor games, and SimCity 2013. The CAS demo doesn't actually count as a demo either because you are only using CAS not playing a portion of the game. The 24 hour guarantee simply is their return policy, most companies have that and it is a separate thing- not really a game demo just a return policy.
Scholar
#30 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 9:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deestar
Not really-a demo is where you download the game and play a small portion of the game not the full game. Currently EA has very few game demos available basically just Mass Effect 3, the FIFA soccor games, and SimCity 2013. The CAS demo doesn't actually count as a demo either because you are only using CAS not playing a portion of the game. The 24 hour guarantee simply is their return policy, most companies have that and it is a separate thing- not really a game demo just a return policy.

In all fairness to EA, The Sims series isn't like something like Deadspace where they could (in theory) release the first level/portion of the game as a stand-alone 'demo'. It's not possible to do that with a game that is entirely a sandbox. The only way of doing it was to release the CAS as a demo. They couldn't say, give you one house and one family as the rest of the game would have to come with it to make it functional. Imagine how large a demo download that would be, too.

I'm supporting the Optimist Camp for the Sims 4.

Scholar
#31 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 10:18 AM
store here have for $59 special other day so i finally buy. there enough mods, etc make it interesting now anyway
Is Claeric
#32 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nightspore
No, actually the comparison was between a game that could provide you with potentially 100's of hours of entertainment, and a film which provides you with a few hours of entertainment. Nothing strange there.

I just hit 60 hours this morning. That's a dollar an hour with more to come. I bought Frozen on Blu-Ray the day it came out and have watched it twice, at a going rate of...what, 10 dollars an hour? And when I saw it in theaters it cost me 8 dollars an hour.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 4:57 PM
I've played TS4 for 37 hours. I also saw Frozen twice in the cinema - but it was the Saturday kids special that cost £1.50. And when I preorderd the DVD (£15) I got a free art case and book and we've all watched it about fifteen times. Then again, the game was a gift. Which one has given me greater value for money? I have no bloody clue. But I do know Frozen didn't leave me feeling disappointed at all.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 6:14 PM
Releasing a demo, an actual demo, would have crushed their sales. They literally released the best selling point this game has: Create a Sim. They gave people the more refined aspect of the game to try. If they had let people check out the actual gameplay, the limited feeling of the world and the lack of new stuff would have become too apparent. At least that's the feeling I got after trying the game for a little bit.
Test Subject
#35 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nissun
Releasing a demo, an actual demo, would have crushed their sales. They literally released the best selling point this game has: Create a Sim. They gave people the more refined aspect of the game to try. If they had let people check out the actual gameplay, the limited feeling of the world and the lack of new stuff would have become too apparent. At least that's the feeling I got after trying the game for a little bit.

The lack of a demo coupled with the fact that there was very little pre-launch coverage of The Sims 4 was deliberate. I'm sure that EA has been well aware of the fact that people, for the most part, usually
don't want to go through the hassling rigmarole of returning something they're disappointed in. They would lose out on all that profit if fans were able to get a good taste of the game before they purchased it.

The same thing was done with Sacred 3 with EA jr. Derp Silver deliberately changing the working title of the game which had been 'Sacred: Citadel 2' to 'Sacred 3'. There was very little pre-launch coverage
and no demo. But even worse, Deep Silver launched the game EARLY before the review embargo would end and gamers could catch on to the shitestorm unleashed with all the terrible reviews and Let's Play
coverage. I read a thread on another site about how someone was able to stop an Army dude, just back from overseas, from buying two copies of Sacred 3 because he and his wife loved Sacred 2. The original
poster showed the Army dude actual gameplay of Sacred 3 on his phone and the poor guy was livid he was a couple minutes away from wasting $100 on what basically constitutes as a legal scam. But that
was exactly the type of gamer Derp Silver was intentionally trying to dupe in order to get their money.

The corporate publishers really need to get their heads out of their asses and stop thinking like Mafia bosses with all the duplicity and underhanded schemes they use just to sell units. It's really sickening.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 7:23 PM
Sims base games have always cost more than the expansion packs. If you are spending 70 dollars on it, you are just getting some silly extra stuff with the game. The limited edition is 60.00.
Instructor
#37 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 12:13 AM
If I counted up all the hours I get out of the sims 4 vs. what it costs me to get it, I'd say it's well worth the price. I get more gameplay out of all the sims games than any other games I've ever encountered, and the amount it cost doesn't seem absurd in comparison to other games out there. I got the collector's edition, and it's about the same price as other collector's edition games. The main difference being the hours of enjoyment I've gotten out of them. I really think this situation is beauty is in the eye of the beholder deal, and everyone is different in what they are willing to invest in entertainment and creative tools. If you find the game costs too much, it's pretty easy to not buy it. I personally look forward to purchasing ep's, sp's and dlc for it.
Theorist
#38 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 12:44 AM Last edited by lisfyre : 19th Sep 2014 at 1:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nurny
P.S. not to get all nitpicky, but this is making me itch....it's could have/would have/should have, not of. The "of" sound you hear when speaking is the contraction should've/could've/would've, which is short for should/could/would have.

Thank you. I've been trying to find a diplomatic way to correct that for a long time now whenever I see a "should/could/would of" phrase which drives me insane. You said it very well. I could have never done it as well because... well... I FAILED Diplomacy 101

Back on topic - yes, one of the reasons (minor) why I didn't buy it. I couldn't see spending ~$60 - $70 on a "base" game and then another ~$500+ on the EP/SP/GP/DLC that they roll out over the next 5 years. I have no problem with spending that money but this base game is so lacking in content. That's not even mentioning what they cut out that has been consistent throughout the previous 3 iterations of the game. The deal breaker for me was no CASt, no open world, no toddlers.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Forum Resident
#39 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 1:23 AM
Again, $60 is a pretty standard price these days for a AAA game. I'm wondering where people are buying their games where $60 is considered steep.

There are much more legitimate complaints to be making about how EA seems to be handling business than just an industry standard price.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 1:55 AM
I paid £26.99 for my copy (over SimplyCDKeys) rather than fairly steep £49.99 for same copy on Origin, I'd be okay with it if it was £40 but £50 was bit too much. Glad SimplyCDKeys was there to help me get it cheaper Normally I tend to wait until it drops in price (I got Sims 3 last year for £12 (on Steam christmas sale) but Reddit's /r/thesims made me tempted to get it sooner and £26.99 seemed good price for me to jump on it. If it was £40 everywhere though I'll probably wait.

Currently Playing:Last of Us Remastered, Final Fantasy XIV, Rare Replay - Blast Corps, The Sims 2, 3, 4
Test Subject
#41 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DFMcLeod
Sims 2 was probably around $39.99 and The Sims was probably $29.99. Game prices seem to go up 10 dollars or so (In US and Canada) every 5-10 years. It's honestly pissing me off that a PC game is now $60 in Canada when I can remember as a kid that PC games were $19.99 brand new. The Sims 4 isn't even worth $50 as far as I am concerned. $30 maybe.

In 2000, after The Sims had hit stores, I made a beeline for the games display at our local Circuit City every trip we made. I was 15, and waiting to receive it as my confirmation gift. I can't even tell you how many hours I spent staring at that box, waiting for it to be mine. It was $50.
One Minute Ninja'd
#42 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 11:54 AM
Ooh, I remember Circuit City.

I believe it's not the price that folks object to, as most games come out at that price these days, but rather the perceived paucity of content included in the base game. It feels like half a Sims base game, and the perceived belief that a bunch of items not included will quickly be available for additional purchase. I believe that is where the resistance is coming from, not the actual price. So folks believe if they wait for the price to drop, and the new content is released in a rather short time, they can then buy a more "complete" base game for the $60 rather than being stuck paying far more if those items are released for sale.

And, if those items are "patched in" for free, then buying the game later, even if it's still $60, will be a more palatable transaction.
Test Subject
#43 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 12:55 PM
Everyone could endlessly go back and forth on whether they feel the price for this game was worth the purchase and that's because it's pure economics. Basically, everyone has their own amount of satisfaction that they expect to gain from any product which they then use to gauge whether or not the price is worth the purchase. For example, two individuals are interested in buying the latest Battlefield game. They both love first person shooters, however Person A enjoys playing online with his friends while Person B prefers more of a single player oriented experience. They both pay $60 for their new game, however because of their preferences, their satisfaction with the product differs. Person A feels like his money was well spent because he only cares about the online and felt that what was offered was more than adequate for the money he spent. Meanwhile Person B gained much less satisfaction with his experience with the single player portion of the game and feels like the overall product should have been cheaper.

Simply put, everyone is going to get a different amount of satisfaction out of the Sims 4 because they have different preferences of what makes a $60 game worth the purchase. For some people the new engine coupled with the emotions system and other features is well worth the asking price. Whereas those who feel like the game is missing too many features obviously feel like the game should be less. And that's just a general overview of the matter. Ideally, everyone will have their own price that they are willing and able to accept and that's a good thing. It means you are an aware consumer who uses their resources efficiently.

Sorry, I'm an Econ major and I couldn't help it.
Alchemist
#44 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gundefined

Simply put, everyone is going to get a different amount of satisfaction out of the Sims 4 because they have different preferences of what makes a $60 game worth the purchase. For some people the new engine coupled with the emotions system and other features is well worth the asking price. Whereas those who feel like the game is missing too many features obviously feel like the game should be less. And that's just a general overview of the matter. Ideally, everyone will have their own price that they are willing and able to accept and that's a good thing. It means you are an aware consumer who uses their resources efficiently.

Sorry, I'm an Econ major and I couldn't help it.

Well put, gundefined. Thank you.
Page 2 of 2