Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 10:52 PM
Default Fishing Guide - All Tips, Hints, Questions, etc. about Fishing go here!
We have tons of posts/threads about fishing. Well, just like with the Gardening stuffs, HystericalParoxsym is working on a wiki entry to house all fishing information and answer all questions that come up. You can see the start of that here http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...me_Help:Fishing

So we want your help in building it up and making it a reference for all fishing-related stuff. We'll keep all tips, questions, tricks, help etc etc in this thread and build a really awesome FAQ

Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Thanks so much to everyone who has added info - please keep it up and keep asking questions and offering tips if you have them. I'll check in and update the wiki page as necessary
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 10:55 PM
its so funny when the sim falls over!!!
Alchemist
#3 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 11:12 PM
Default NPC fishing glitch
Ok, since my thread got locked and I was referred here, I'll repost my problem, hopefully we'll be able to get to the bottom of it, because it really freaked me out:

All of a sudden, my game froze, and I know what you're going to say, take out your hacks, but it isn't that and this is why. It was odd; the game itself wasn't frozen (I could scroll, use the control panel, exit, save etc) but no sim could move, or interract with anything around them. Even time stood still.

I became sort of worried, and decided to move everyone out of the lot and in again, thinking it might be a one time glitch. It was solved for the timebeing, but I kept my eyes open. When it happened again, I saw what caused it: canceling the Fishing interraction on one of my sims. When I went into debug mode, an error kept popping up no matter how many times I reset him, and again everyone was frozen. This time though I didn't move them out, just deleted the sim, and my sims were unfrozen.

I thought maybe it could be a hack, even though I had been fishing for ages with many sims in many lots, so why all of a sudden? I haven't downloaded any new hacks. I tried letting my sim's wife fish, and everything went ok. No problems whatsoever. Same with all the other lots in the 'hood.

So what made this sim different? Well, he's a NPC. At least, an ex NPC, and one you don't usually get to interract with. He's a downtown chef who once walked by my lot and my sim got to know him...they married etc but the only thing I could think of is that Maxis somehow didn't quite finish the fishing code for NPCs...who wouldn't usually get to fish. I am 90% certain it has to do with him being an ex NPC, because he is the only one who got this weird freezing issue with fishing. I'd test with others, but I haven't got any controllable NPCs.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 11:56 PM
I don't quite know how to use the discussion page on the wiki but rainbow trout and jumbo rainbow trout make Stuffed Rainbow Trout when you stock the fridge with it.
Instructor
#5 Old 13th Mar 2007 at 2:45 AM
To get more mileage out of your fishpond, prepare your catch for "serving" instead of just "having"-- you don't use up more fish, but you get more servings out of it! Just remember to put away the leftovers before they spoil. Also, fish dishes can be prepared from a very low level, so they're great for sims who don't otherwise need or want Cooking levels.

I tried serving leftover Bass with Squash to impress a headmaster and got 45 points for it. Do other fresh, sparkly, easy-to-fix foods score as well?

Contemplating making Golden Sun stuff for TS2.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 13th Mar 2007 at 1:53 PM
I served stuffed rainbow trout to the headmaster and made around the same number of points. I don't remember the exact number, but my total score was well above the 90. The funny thing is the score was so above and beyond what was needed, yet I got a message saying that we weren't good enough for the school. However, all the kids were marked as in private school. lol Probably a hack caused the wrong message to come up. I took a screenshot but it's at home and I'm at school.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 13th Mar 2007 at 4:30 PM
can use fish using anything other then a worm, does anyone know?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Mar 2007 at 4:31 PM
Yes, bille, all of the lures you can use are listed on the wiki page linked in the first post.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 13th Mar 2007 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghanima Atreides
Ok, since my thread got locked and I was referred here, I'll repost my problem, hopefully we'll be able to get to the bottom of it, because it really freaked me out:

All of a sudden, my game froze, and I know what you're going to say, take out your hacks, but it isn't that and this is why. It was odd; the game itself wasn't frozen (I could scroll, use the control panel, exit, save etc) but no sim could move, or interract with anything around them. Even time stood still.

I thought maybe it could be a hack, even though I had been fishing for ages with many sims in many lots, so why all of a sudden? I haven't downloaded any new hacks. I tried letting my sim's wife fish, and everything went ok. No problems whatsoever. Same with all the other lots in the 'hood.

So what made this sim different? Well, he's a NPC. At least, an ex NPC, and one you don't usually get to interract with. He's a downtown chef who once walked by my lot and my sim got to know him...they married etc but the only thing I could think of is that Maxis somehow didn't quite finish the fishing code for NPCs...who wouldn't usually get to fish. I am 90% certain it has to do with him being an ex NPC, because he is the only one who got this weird freezing issue with fishing. I'd test with others, but I haven't got any controllable NPCs.

I was having a similiar problem with ALL of the same symptoms as you, only with the Plant Sim as a NPC- Rose Greenman, I believe. Anytime she came on one of my lots and interacted with my families- I could scroll, use the control panel, exit, save- time stopped. This may sound really strange, but this is what worked for me- I removed the pregnancy wear anything hack by Squinge and now everything is fine. As a matter of fact, I downloaded and installed the update of the hack and I haven't had any issues with it happening again.

I also want to add that(totally unrelated to the issue above), in my experience, not only do ponds have to be deep enough to fish- but they also need to be unlevel. For instance I made a pond on one of my lots (ok- I admit I am just dumb enough to have done this more than once) and just dug straight down until it wouldn't get any deeper. When I got around to playing, there were no interactions for the pond. Soooooooo. I thought maybe it needed to be bigger (it was already about 12 square). I dug around the perimeter a bit, with the pond tool of course- and then I was able to click on the shallower areas to get my sims to fish.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 13th Mar 2007 at 6:21 PM
I had the same exact problem as Ghanima and megativity, except three of my six adult sims were fine, while the other three were stuck. I tried to remove my hacks one by in the order I put them in (newest hack removed first), and after about 4 hacks it still hadn't fixed, so I just removed the entire hack folder, and it was still stuck. The penguin was on my lot, so I thought maybe it was messing it up, so I deleted the penguin, saved, exited and re-entered the lot, and it didn't work. I had a custom plant sim on my lot as well, shopping at my home veggie store, so I deleted her, saved and exited and it was still borked. Finally I just started to delete all of the customers, and one of them must of been jacked up, because as soon as I got done deleting, everything was fine and my three stuck sims could move again. It confuses me, because all of the ones I had to delete were either custom made sims or had been on my lot multiple times before without any problems. Also, none of my sims were fishing at the time that everyone got stuck. Two were woohooing, one was making sales, one was running the cash register, and the other two were having a water balloon fight. Only the ones woohooing and the one making the sales got stuck.
Alchemist
#11 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by megativity13
This may sound really strange, but this is what worked for me- I removed the pregnancy wear anything hack by Squinge and now everything is fine. As a matter of fact, I downloaded and installed the update of the hack and I haven't had any issues with it happening again.

Well, I have the updated hack in...and it still happens.

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 8:14 PM
I took all my hacks out and it still happened. So much for running a home business.
Alchemist
#13 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 9:48 PM
Darn I guess that at least proves it's not hack related, and it's indeed a glitch.

Lab Assistant
#14 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 10:42 PM
I could only see the fish in the ponds in the new hood and couldn't figure out why. I did an experiment and discovered if I made the pond 7 clicks deep I could see the fish every time. Just in case anyone else was having that issue.
Instructor
#15 Old 15th Mar 2007 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Divia
I served stuffed rainbow trout to the headmaster and made around the same number of points. I don't remember the exact number, but my total score was well above the 90. The funny thing is the score was so above and beyond what was needed, yet I got a message saying that we weren't good enough for the school. However, all the kids were marked as in private school. lol Probably a hack caused the wrong message to come up. I took a screenshot but it's at home and I'm at school.

I ended up with a score of 89 (let's just say my sims are schmoozing-impaired), and my kids still got into the private school. ^_^

Instructor
#16 Old 18th Mar 2007 at 1:10 AM
Did you use "maxmotives" or the InSIM Motive Adjustor or something prior to the meal? Because he won't give any points for the meal if his appetite's been spoiled.

#17 Old 18th Mar 2007 at 9:30 AM
Question: Which skill helps you build the fishing talent badge faster?
#18 Old 18th Mar 2007 at 8:52 PM
I can't go fishing period. I've tried to but, no option for "Fish Using" appears.
My home pond has bunches and, bunches of fish in it. It's of a fairly good size too.
And, I know it can't be any of the hacks ethier.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#19 Old 18th Mar 2007 at 8:54 PM
Well, you don't know that for sure until you've taken the hacks OUT, and tried it without them, do you?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#20 Old 19th Mar 2007 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Trissle
Question: Which skill helps you build the fishing talent badge faster?

None. The only way to get the fishing talent badges is to fish!

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#21 Old 19th Mar 2007 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by proxian_girl
None. The only way to get the fishing talent badges is to fish!

Yes, to earn the actual badges, but the badges are connected to a skill. Like the toy making badges are connected to the mechanical skill, as are the robotory badges, and the cosmotology badges are connected to the cleaning skill, and so on. The higher the skill, the faster you earn the next badge.
I learned that the charisma skill is connected to the gardening badges, but I have yet to discover which one is connected to fishing. Body, perhaps?

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Instructor
#22 Old 19th Mar 2007 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Atropa
Yes, to earn the actual badges, but the badges are connected to a skill. Like the toy making badges are connected to the mechanical skill, as are the robotory badges, and the cosmotology badges are connected to the cleaning skill, and so on. The higher the skill, the faster you earn the next badge.
I learned that the charisma skill is connected to the gardening badges, but I have yet to discover which one is connected to fishing. Body, perhaps?

... I learned something today!

Field Researcher
#23 Old 23rd Mar 2007 at 6:28 AM
This is a dumb question, but I can't figure it out. How do I put my Sim's fish on the plaque if I want to display it? I did it somehow once on accident and haven't been able to do it again.
Test Subject
#24 Old 23rd Mar 2007 at 6:37 AM
you just move the fish to a clear spot on the wall. hang it like you would a picture, once it finds a spot a fish on a plaque will be there. Hope that makes sense.
Test Subject
#25 Old 23rd Mar 2007 at 8:02 PM
I don't think the skills are related to badge theory is true in some cases, my all-skill sim Maria (teen) and her two low-skill sisters Gabriella and Rem (also teens) all went fishing. They didn't gain skills faster than eachother. Well except for Gabriella who decided to do something instead of fish and I didn't notice until the other two popped out a silver badge.
Page 1 of 3