Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Apr 2015 at 11:59 PM
TSM-like crafting/combat in TS3?
Hi, I'm kinda new here (been on site for about 5 years but only downloading lol) and I was wondering: is it possible to integrate features from The Sims Medieval (namely swordfighting and blacksmithing) into The Sims 3? I've got very little programming experience, aside from some private ventures into basic mods for Minecraft (yes, I know TS3 doesn't use Java :P), and I wanted to know if someone could try making mods like those I previously mentioned. I am willing to help figure out stuff like recipes, design, and statistics if I can find someone, or a group of people, who are up for the challenge.

Thank you in advanced :D

P.S. I do plan on trying to make mods myself one day, but I have no idea where to start. If possible, can someone point me in the right direction for that as well? Thanks again!
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 8th Apr 2015 at 10:16 AM
Hello ^^

Quote: Originally posted by Michael_Von_Lucas
is it possible to integrate features from The Sims Medieval (namely swordfighting and blacksmithing) into The Sims 3?

AFAIK The Sims Medieval is very similar to TS3, so some things should be "portable" or adaptable.
Animations, sounds, jazz scripts, etc are also compatible.

Quote:
I wanted to know if someone could try making mods like those I previously mentioned. I am willing to help figure out stuff like recipes, design, and statistics if I can find someone, or a group of people, who are up for the challenge.

If you put that as "can someone do it for me?" you wont have much luck, if you put that as "is someone willing to collaborate with me?"
that is more acceptable but tricky nonetheless. I can't say I've seen much group projects lately, but getting generic help or tips is more likely.

Quote:
P.S. I do plan on trying to make mods myself one day, but I have no idea where to start. If possible, can someone point me in the right direction for that as well? Thanks again!

This is a good place to start: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit..._GeneralModding

I suggest you to start with:
- get ILSpy to examine the code (if you intend to use Visual Studio, if you want to use Xamarin you don't need it)
- http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit..._Studio_project (mandatory, even if you will use Xamarin as IDE)
- to make some stuff you'll need the unprotected libraries, you can unprotect them yourself or download them somewhere (but for getting started you don't need them)
- http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Depth_Scripting (preparatory, especially for Object Oriented Programming)
- Buzzler's tutorials about object modding, pure scripting modding and localization
- SimLogical also has very good tutorials, some probably are already mentioned in the first link with the index
- get started with TS3 modding (and I mean mainly scripting but it's not limited to that), other than having a bit of knowledge about programming,
is also about getting a generic idea on how the game works internally, for that tutorials can help to a point, you have to make experience yourself.

For any help, you can use the "Modding Discussion" section of the forum.
Tip: if you are serious, after reading the tutorials, read all the threads in the last 10 pages of that section, or at least read about things you may be interested with.
If you want to see a very simple mod, try studying my "Shoe Rug": except for the routing (the function that leads the Sim to the object) it's a very simple mod.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Apr 2015 at 3:59 PM
Thanks Arsil I was mostly intending the question as "has it been done? if not, can someone help me do it?" Either way, I'll be looking at your links and suggestions. I don't know how different C# is from Java, but I do have some reading material for that already, thank goodness. Hopefully it's easy enough for me . By the way, thanks for being patient with me
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Apr 2015 at 3:28 PM
This is an really interesting thread. It was be amazing if anyone was to make some medieval mods from TSM to TS3 :-) I would definitely download them.

I thought I would share my own "work around" for the sword fighting, it's not optimal, but it's still gives some more medieval-feel to my game play at least. If you have World Adventures installed and the simmers practice Martial Arts, it's possible to edit their clothing in cas with the MasterController mod + download a sword and it almost looks like a sword fight when they are sparring :-)

Building a Middle Earth world for Sims 3 sims3medieval.tumblr.com/tagged/CAWLOTR :-)
Do you have a simblr? If so, I would love to connect :-) http://sims3medieval.tumblr.com/
Theorist
#5 Old 15th Apr 2015 at 10:21 PM
That sword fight!!
Ani was looking to port TSM objects and animations before she retired. I think she gave the nraas team some info on it but nothing has been announced about it. Would be really cool to use the stocks and stuff like that. Imagine.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Inventor
#6 Old 16th Apr 2015 at 10:11 AM
If the animations use voices that could be a problem, unless they used the same [kind of] voices in both games
(I don't know how to explain that, probably the same voice actors/actresses, but some variations are generated
with some kind of interpolation with... equalizers maybe? Sorry I know nothing about how audio works :P).

I got curious and took a look at how TS3 handles voices. It's just a quick research, mostly based on intuition and
just one case, so probably not very accurate. I'll use as example the animation "a2a_soc_Neutral_AskFor_x"
used in many social interactions. That animation is associated (with a sound event) to the audio "vo_soc_askforera".

There are 6 AUDT (3 for adult females and 3 for adult males) and 21 _AUD resources associated to that audio/sound:
3 for every kind of female adult voice (3x3=9)
4 for every kind of male adult voice (4x3=12)

Teens use the "adult" voices too, the same way they use adult animations if there is not a teen specific version.
I don't think there are specific voices for teens because they would sound different in some animations.

EDIT: of course c2a_soc_Neutral_AskFor_x uses a different sound event: vo_soc_askforerc
that is associated with 2 AUDT + 6 _AUD (3 for males and 3 for females).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Apr 2015 at 4:58 PM
That looks excellent, Gaxili! I've been looking into trying to make the mods, but I'm honestly rather overwhelmed by everything! I was also wondering about the equipment the sims would use (i.e.: swords and armor) mostly concerning obtaining, crafting, and equipping them. I'm thinking that blacksmithing could use the inventing skill as a metric, but as for the recipes, that's obviously more difficult. I think it might work if we use no more than 3 different items per craft, and hopefully we could use multiple crafting phases (like first the blade, hilt, and enchantments (if any) are done separately, then used in a single recipe for the finished product) for a more elaborate and maybe realistic process. Would be deviating from the original a bit, but it might be easier.

I personally would like it if plugins were made to add elements from different expansion packs (such as enchantments from faeries/witches from Supernatural and, if you want something even more creative, stardust/dark matter from ITF). I don't know if making mods that mesh so precisely would be feasible, however.
Inventor
#8 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 2:51 PM
I think I have an idea on how to transfer the sword-fighting to TS3. But there are a two problems:
- Are we sure it is all right to rip resources from TSM and use them for a TS3 mod (I guess to be uploaded here on MTS)?
- I don't have The Sims Medieval, so I need someone who extracts the resources needed.
Theorist
#9 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 5:12 PM
That's what I thought at first, but Ani and MTS moderators were openly discussing it before, so I got the impression it was ok.

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Inventor
#10 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 5:43 PM
If it's ok to do conversions from TS2/TS4 to TS3 (and vice versa) then I don't see the difference with TSM.
But here we are talking about a lot of stuff between animations, sounds, one or more jazz scripts, the sword
(is there also a shield?) and maybe some xml data. That's why I'd like an official explicit answer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 8:45 PM
Ironically enough, they don't actually have equippable shields on TSM, and even supposedly one-handed swords (such as rapiers from Pirates and Nobles) use two-handed animations. There are various swords, some are bought, some are crafted, and some are obtained through quests. I do believe that crafting would be another huge problem though; crafting mechanics from TSM are very different in comparison to any skill-based crafting I've seen on TS3, not to mention the materials are different in function, context, and design. We'd probably would require to do some improvising to make it more seamlessly incorporated into the game, expansions or not.
Theorist
#12 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 11:04 PM
Arsil, I would say go for it mate. This thread proves your honesty, mods will tell you if its against policy. Go for it.

#BlairWitchPetition
Inventor
#13 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 7:54 PM
Do you recognize this frame? It's from "Threaten for money".

I can't get the props (a short sword and a bag of money) to show up, but I'll keep trying.
Screenshots
Theorist
#14 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 9:56 PM
I don't recognize it cause I never spent enough time with TSM, but OMG, a new animation!
You do some good stuff Arsil man, and there is many possibilities. Kudos.

#BlairWitchPetition
Scholar
#15 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 12:08 AM
never played medieval but looks great

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Field Researcher
#16 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 9:02 AM
I have no idea if this helps, but someone converted the animations from TSM to TS3 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGJPVISGRWg around 4:00 :-)

Building a Middle Earth world for Sims 3 sims3medieval.tumblr.com/tagged/CAWLOTR :-)
Do you have a simblr? If so, I would love to connect :-) http://sims3medieval.tumblr.com/
Inventor
#17 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 9:28 AM
I got the game now.

There's nothing to convert, the animations works exactly as they are. And if you change the CLIPs names/IIDs
(like in that link) they wont work with existing TSM jazz scripts (but jazz scripts may be part of the problem
that doesn't allow to display props, I still have to research what's wrong with that).

Another thing I noticed is that TSM doesn't use AUDT resources, so sounds could be a problem.
Besides, the animations of "Threaten for money" use voices and they sound different from TS3
ones (and adult females have 4 kind of voices on TSM).

I'll keep you posted.
Theorist
#18 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 5:57 PM Last edited by tizerist : 22nd Apr 2015 at 6:14 PM.
Good stuff, man. Do you mean by props, stuff held in the hands?

#BlairWitchPetition
Field Researcher
#19 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 3:22 PM
Any updates on this amazing project? :lovestruc

Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Aug 2015 at 2:50 PM Last edited by Michael_Von_Lucas : 29th Aug 2015 at 8:58 PM.
To be honest, I don't think I'm capable of making the mod (for lack of knowledge in programming in C++), but hopefully someone else will be more capable of making this idea a reality. If by the time I stop procrastinating and actually learn the programming language someone has already decided to take upon themselves to make it happen, then I thank them for doing what I cannot. The thing is that I unfortunately have always been at best a thinker and at worst a dreamer, but I never actually had the resolve to do stuff with my ideas.

I was not trying to say "I'm going to do this" because I knew I cannot see it through, I was only saying "It would be nice if someone would take inspiration from my ideas and make something great to share with others"

(Edit: I MIGHT get back on track later on, just not right now. I just need to learn to stop being so depressive and actually start focusing on making myself useful. If anyone has Ideas for the mod, feel free to brainstorm using this thread; God knows I (as well as anyone else interested in this project) could certainly get inspired just by a few 'what ifs' )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 11:19 PM
Sorry, asked a bit of a noobish question (complete with an equally noobish comment) I'm going to start learning how to mod first by trying to make an external organization mod/plugin that uses a spreadsheet to track item (namely collectables and crafted items) that are taken out of a saved town to be transferred to another save. It could simulate Sims gifting/buying/selling/trading items and Simoleons with one another with simple actions done using an in-game object with a pie menu and an inventory. Does anyone think this is more easily doable, or not so much? If it is feasable, I'll make another thread to not mix these two up.