Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 12:03 AM
Default Did anyone else notice how slow it was?
In the new video released (the walk through), I was really enjoying it up until the winter part. Did anyone else catch on the lag of the gameplay when it snowing? It really seems to me that winter is going to be impossible for a majority of people to get through especially when the computer that he was showing it on most likely didn't have any other expansion packs added onto it. I have a really good computer but just seeing how the game was lagging when the designers (who usually have good computers) were showing it, it discourages me in a sense. I know that maxis gives us a lot but is anyone thinking about skipping this pack all together because of the graphic lags that it will present?

Take a look at a new sims2 chat site ran by Tease. There are mods and we are working to get teh site off of its feet. You can look around and if you feel like joining that would be great for the site. Thanks

Advertisement
#2 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 12:07 AM
Winter is going to cause a lot of lagging because everything changes because of the snow fall. But you can set the neighborhoods to not have a winter and just be all one season.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 12:10 AM
Thats probably gonna be a bummer to the people who really want to experience winter but will have a near impossible time doing so. Im hoping that its more of the snowfall that slows it down and not the already layed snow that causes the lagging. And Im hoping that it doesn't snow constantly during winter.

Take a look at a new sims2 chat site ran by Tease. There are mods and we are working to get teh site off of its feet. You can look around and if you feel like joining that would be great for the site. Thanks

#4 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 1:09 AM
Well, my guess is is that it will only lag when its snowing and mabey not ALL through winter.
#5 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 5:55 AM
I hope it doesent lag on my Nvidia 7600! youve got me worried...
#6 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 8:22 AM
I'm hoping that there will be a setting as well, for people with slower computers. Something to the effect of turning off the falling weather, but that doesn't effect the ground. If it's raining, you won't see the rain falling, but you'll still get puddles on the ground, your plants will get watered, etc. If it's snowing, you won't see the snow falling, but it will still build up on stuff on the ground, etc. Of course, this is only helpful if it is the actual falling weather effects that are slowing it down. If that is really a low factor, then this would be moot.
Stupid people are stupid
#7 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 8:40 AM
I think it will be fine. They already raised the specs and you can always adjust the settings.
MasterofTS2, why worry with that card? Don't you have enough RAM?

About the walkthrough; have you seen the fish? they are huge! I've never seen fish that big in ponds.
#8 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 8:58 AM
I did notice a bit of lag,yeah My game lags at the start then goes good.Hope it doesnt actually lag too much though....
the walkthrough was AMAZING though :D:D
Mad Poster
#9 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 9:10 AM
I hope it won't lag. My game used to lag when I had a weather hack installed and I hope it won't happen with maxis weather. Anyway, I think there's something wrong with my graphics card because I used to be able to see the fish and now I can't and it loads images much slower than it used to.
#10 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 9:33 AM
croco,I dont think I can see the fishtank fish either.I think its because of rendering....I think theres a fix around.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 9:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callum91
croco,I dont think I can see the fishtank fish either.I think its because of rendering....I think theres a fix around.

Well, if you know of one, let me know. It's really bugging me to see all those bubbles and no fish.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 11:39 AM
Aw man. Is this going to be the death of my computer? ):

I didn't even notice lag, because my computer normally lags so much more. It wouldn't even be able to play such a big lot. -sigh-

This EP looks sooo good though. I want it anyway. Grr. xD

Quote:

I can't see them either. Videocard too old. :/ I'll get a 'newer' one soon though so hopefully that will make a difference.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Theorist
#13 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 11:41 AM
Is there a link to the walkthrough? Is it on the official site? Can someone let me know? Thanks--

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Stupid people are stupid
#14 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 11:50 AM
On the EA site.
Theorist
#15 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 11:58 AM
Thanks Angel.. :howdy:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Forum Resident
#16 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 5:01 PM
yeah i noticed that but there is a setting to turn off snow on floor tiles!!
Test Subject
#17 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Well, if you know of one, let me know. It's really bugging me to see all those bubbles and no fish.

Someone at TSR had the same problem and they found a solution that worked for a lot of people. Try reading through the thread and see if it will help.
Inventor
#18 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 5:18 PM
I couldn't find a link that worked so I could watch it. I don't have quicktime.
Scholar
#19 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 6:22 PM
lol looks like im the only one that didnt think it looked laggy at all just looked like he had free will turned off so no sims moved

check out my uploads here updated May 15, 2008
Test Subject
#20 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dragon_tfm
lol looks like im the only one that didnt think it looked laggy at all just looked like he had free will turned off so no sims moved

I finally got the chance to watch it, and yeah, it didn't look that laggy to me. But now I'm totally excited for this EP. It looks fantastic!
#21 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 7:00 PM
I didn't think it looked very laggy. It made me very excited for it though!
Forum Resident
#22 Old 15th Feb 2007 at 1:16 AM
the fix to see fish is to type boolprop useshaders true then you will see fish
Test Subject
#23 Old 15th Feb 2007 at 3:52 AM
Yeah, I didn't think it looked all that bad either, Catwalk. Oh well, if it slows the game way down I can always clean out the downloads I never use.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 15th Feb 2007 at 5:03 AM
Yeh.. to me the lag is extremely small but if you notice when the lady is falling into the snow to make a snow angel and when the designer clicks to do a Sim interaction while its snowing.. the face and options don't show up as quickly as normal.. I'm very very sensitive to lag so maybe its just me hopefully! It always ran well on my computer and I've played on other peoples computers which had horrible lags and maybe that made me very sensitive to noticing any sort of lag whatsoever! I sure hope I'm wrong though

Scholar
#25 Old 15th Feb 2007 at 6:24 AM
i do worry that if there was lag...how will it be on our systems since i assume that the game designers have a (on average) better computer than us joe schmoes..so if he got a small lag spike what about us..30 seconds a minute worse hmm

check out my uploads here updated May 15, 2008
Page 1 of 2