Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 6:25 AM
Default How does the Schpritzer work?
i'm wondering how these work when you put them on Earth Dirt for planting fruits and veg in the Season Expansion? what are they supposed to do? spray water? because so far they don't seem to be doing anything.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 6:29 AM
Do you mean the sprinklers from the garden section? If so you can see if they water are quarter, half or full circle in buy mode. They come off and on in a set pattern.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 6:42 AM
They are in build mode in the Plants the Gardening section, how often do they come on? i put on the full circle one but they don't seem to be coming on at all.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 7:15 AM
Do you have plants there that need watering? I believe they won't come on unless you have plants or have planted seasons garden seeds in their watering radius.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 12:17 PM
They will work automatically and come on at a set time in the morning, around when the plants go to the next growth stage. They water flowers and Season plants.

As for the circle, it indicates how much earth the sprinkler covers. The earth not covered won't be watered. They water the plants just enough, so there's less chance for overwatering flowers.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 12:29 PM
I've never had to turn them on manually, or had any option other than repair when they go on the fritz. They've always just automatically sprinkled water if there are plants in their radius that need watering. *scratches head and wanders off to see if she might have a hack affecting that* - This was a response to Simmer22, before they edited as I was replying.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 4:07 PM
I've always wondered, will a plant that is only partially covered be sufficiently watered? Since all sprinklers have rounded edges, often the plant at the end will only be half-covered by the circle.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 4:10 PM
Any tile covered by a small part of the sprinkler will be watered, so think of the circle as a square. Anything inside the square that the circle covers will be watered. Says so in the wikia, anyway.

And sorry about the misleading info in the unedited post. I kinda mixed TS2 and TS3, so I thought it was best to correct it so it didn't say anything wrong. It's been a while since I played around with plants on TS2 (shorter since I played around with them in TS3).
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 4:12 PM
The game doesn't deal in half-tiles, which is why sims sometimes stand in diagonal walls. So half a tile is as good as a full one for watering.

Think of it as the plants reaching out with their roots. You don't have to water all plants directly - they have root systems. In fact, direct watering is bad for some plants, as the stem doesn't absorb the water and it rots off at the ground level.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 8:28 PM
I have a square of tomatoes which need more frequent watering and maintaining, i like a square as it's easier to maintain each one withot taking up your whole sims day, it helps to have a gardener too so they can help water them every other day too but the sprinkeler isn't coming on, i watched as they slept all night until when they woke up, nothing. I don't have any hacks ether or custom content, i just have what came with the game so i don't understand it really.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 8:34 PM
Have you tried to click it to see if there's a pie menu to turn it on? I don't think there is, but it's worth having a look at.

I'll see if I can get ingame sometime today to give myself a little update on the sprinkler. I've gone through a period of "perfect garden" mods, then no gardening, then TS3 gardening, so I can honestly say I'm confused...
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 8:40 PM
No you can't click on it because as you said it's supposed to be automatic so it's impanted into the soil
Field Researcher
#13 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 9:05 PM
If the sims/Gardener are watering the plot, the sprinkler won't come on. It will only come on if the plants need watering, if the sims are watering it by hand before it needs it, the sprinkler never gets triggered. Try not having the sims or gardener water it and see if the sprinklers come on then. Also, if they are outside (not in a greenhouse) rain counts as watering plants too, so depending on season/weather/set up they might not need watering for a few days.
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 9:07 PM
I have it in a green house, i didn't touch the plants and they started getting sick even when i tended to them but still no sign of the sprinkler coming on.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 9:49 PM
You can click on it if it's broken, so it's worth trying to if it's not working.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 10:06 PM
There is no way to click it
Mad Poster
#17 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pygsmyemm
There is no way to click it

So they aren't broken

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 10:39 PM
Noop they are supposed to act on their own but they aren't. maybe what i planted needs to be super dry until it comes on but i haven't seen it come on once during a sim day.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 10:42 PM
They wouldn't be broken if they were just placed and if they are near to flowers or season produce plants (not fruit trees) they should be automatically triggered, there is no pie menu or turn on function, they just are. I would wait another sim day. Did you say you pulled your cc? I am at a lose if you have done those things.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 11:03 PM
I only just installed a few of my expansions last week so i never had any custom content to beguin with, i haven't played my sims 2 games in a while but i don't have space to download objects and stuff from this website so i'm just placing all the objects my games give me, i only use the boolprop cheat but not that much i've got it mostly covered looking after my sims as i make them shower every time they pee lol.
Undead Molten Llama
#21 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 11:29 PM
I haven't used the sprinklers in ages. All they did was frustrate the hell out of me because they break so often. They do that in real life, too, which is why we ripped out all the ones on our property (and there were a lot of them) and switched to a vast network of soaker hoses. They're bulkier and not as pretty but they don't break just because you look at them funny. And then eventually we ripped all the landscaping out, anyway and changed to xeriscaping. Muuuuuuch better. Especially when you live in the near-desert.

Anyway, as I recall when I did use the game's sprinkler, my harvestables got pretty far into the "sickly" category before the sprinklers said, "Hey, you know what we should do? We should, like, turn on!" So between that and the breaking, I said "Screw it," and made my pixels garden the hard way. No gardeners for them, even.

So, to the OP: If you're using a gardener I suspect the plants' water levels are being kept just above the threshold where the sprinklers will kick on. At the same time, if you're using a gardener and intend to keep using one, you really don't need the sprinklers. I mean, that's what you're paying the gardener for. So, if you intend to keep the gardener, ditch the sprinklers. Hell, I say ditch them period because they're largely worthless, IMO. Unless there's a mod out there that makes them work better, that is. But I've generally found that you get the best results in a garden when the pixels do a bit of manual labor themselves rather than being lazy and letting other pixels or automated equipment do the work that they ought to be doing themselves.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 29th Apr 2014 at 11:41 PM
Lol not just me then they are terrible for, i don't have a gardener yet as i thought id see how the sprinker went, i remember at 1 point though they did work more frequently but that was a couple years ago lol, i might of put them near the flowers instead of the fruit and veg i was growing actually, i will put some near the flowers and let you know what happens.
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 12:36 AM
Yes! i was right! i have a good memory me hehe see it works when you put them on your flowers but not on things your growing, soon as you put your sprinklers on your flowers they turn on. So i don't think they are for the purpose of your fruit and veg but for your flowers. Mystery solved! :D.
Instructor
#24 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 12:47 AM
For me when I first used the sprinklers I thought they were not working either but after about the second day my sim used it I saw it turn on for a short while... So they work its just hard to catch them..

But for me I use it for sims who are too busy to water or gold gardening badgers, I rather the other sims gain badges through it

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 1:00 AM
You can use sprinkler on your veg. (as said before they don't water the fruit trees) But I don't normally use them there as icad said they aren't too smart around the veg.

Icad, I just posted a wcif for non breakable sprinklers and found it myself. https://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=524355 I was only using them in large gardens but was so annoyed not only with the breaking but trying to find them and click on them to fix them.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 3