Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 10:50 PM Last edited by gwynne : 31st Jul 2014 at 2:25 AM.
Default New Graphics Rules maker at simsnetwork
I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like this should be a godsend for fixing some of the common graphics issues when playing TS2 on newer video hardware.

http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia...patibility-with

Edited to add: This poster is apparently the author (I say apparently because I don't know them, but it would be an odd thing to make up!):

http://www.modthesims.info/m/3

So they deserve the accolades.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 11:20 PM
It sounds like an awesome tool indeed! I managed to make Sims 2 recognize my new graphics cards by downloading the modified Graphics Rules celebkiriedhel uploaded, but according to the site you linked to they plan to create a similar Graphics Rules maker for SimCity 4 as well, which will be very helpful for me personally.
Theorist
#3 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 12:26 AM
I used celebkiriedhel's file also, and just applied the fixes to that to make it fit my widescreen monitor. Seems to work great! But this tool looks wonderful and should be very useful. Blessed be the modders!

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 2:36 PM
I did the entire thing manually. At the time, there were no files to download. It's not hard, but it does involve going into the game files (though presumably, one has made a backup first! ), and people are understandably and quite logically wary about that.

This utility makes things so much easier!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 6:55 PM
Looks like an excellent tool! Good to know things like this exist to help us out, especially for people who don't find messing around with the configuration files - literally the china in The Sims 2's cabinet - their cup of tea.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 7:12 PM
I used this graphics rules maker, and it worked flawlessly. I was using one of kiri's files, but it wasn't for my exact card, didn't go to 1920x1080 and disabled sim shadows. With this new tool, I was able to add my exact card, get 1920x1080, and since I'm still on catalyst 13.4 I didn't need the shadows removed, so now my sims have shadows, and this makes me bizarrely super happy.
Test Subject
#7 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 8:35 PM
Just got Ultimate collection and thought the game was running a bit oddly. This thing cleared it right up. Massive kudos for pointing this out!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 9:31 PM
I tried to use it, but it won't detect my NIVIDA card despite it being the default card for the game.
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ketsu_sama
I tried to use it, but it won't detect my NIVIDA card despite it being the default card for the game.

Would you mind sharing some screenshots of the settings tab and the device tab with me, plus maybe your config log of the Sims 2, through PM or e-mail? I created the tool and wonder what's wrong, maybe I can fix the bug
Field Researcher
#10 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChEeTaH
Would you mind sharing some screenshots of the settings tab and the device tab with me, plus maybe your config log of the Sims 2, through PM or e-mail? I created the tool and wonder what's wrong, maybe I can fix the bug

Sure. I PMed you the screens.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#11 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 10:53 PM
Leefish here - we just found the tool on simsnetwork and put the link up as it seemed half the Internet was coming to leefish.nl looking for help. We didnt make it.

We will of course continue to try and help in edge cases where the tool does not work, but sometimes a computer just cant handle a FULL sims2.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 11:32 PM
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 1:49 AM
When I click save files I get the error message "Could not open Graphic Rules file for writing".
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
Leefish here - we just found the tool on simsnetwork and put the link up as it seemed half the Internet was coming to leefish.nl looking for help. We didnt make it.

We will of course continue to try and help in edge cases where the tool does not work, but sometimes a computer just cant handle a FULL sims2.

Eep! I'm definitely responsible for both spreading the incorrect information about the origin of the program, and also steering lots of traffic to you.

That said...I've also bought a wishlist item for kiri.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:26 AM

Heya, I edited the subject line and gave you credit in the top post. Thanks for this tool, it's made life easier for a lot of us who are trying to help the huge flood of noobs.
Test Subject
#16 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babygirl4595
When I click save files I get the error message "Could not open Graphic Rules file for writing".

That error occurs when the directory the files are in is writable, but the files themselves are not (in particular the Graphics Rules.sgr file). The back-ups have already been made (or they already existed before you attempted to save them) in the same directory. You could try a few things:
  • Run the Graphics Rules Maker as Administrator.
  • Locate the files (in "TSData\Res\Config" inside the game directory) using Explorer, right click each of the two files (Graphics Rules.sgr and Video Cards.sgr) and choose properties. Make sure the "Read only" toggle is off. Then try again.
  • From the two preview tabs (Graphics Rules and Video Cards database), click the individual "Save" buttons. Then using explorer, put the files in the correct place.

I hope that'll help you out.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 4:19 AM Last edited by gazania : 6th Aug 2014 at 6:34 AM.
I'm not getting anywhere, either. The utility didn't recognize my card at first: maybe that's the reason why.

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 3:27 PM

The most vexing problem I am having with Windows 8 is that I cannot move items in place, i.e., beds, rugs, anything that you want placed in some particular area. Oddly, when I had Bon Voyage loaded, placements were o.k. (had to remove B.V. due to it totally disliking two mods I have available in game and love).
Do you know if your program will adjust this problem, and if so, which one should I use? Thank you so much!
Undead Molten Llama
#19 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 5:26 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say that I used this utility. I wasn't going to because I'd already fiddled around and gotten the widescreen issue sorted, but then I figured, what the heck, I'll see what it does. And...it made my game look really, really nice. Like, bye-bye blurry textures and hello super-bumpy bump map thingies. I don't know what did it -- perhaps it was matching the texture something-or-other to my card's exact number -- but...Whoa! Thank you very, very much for this, ChEeTaH! :lovestruc

@sarah's jones: You might want to check those mods you have and see if they've been updated for Bon Voyage. BV's game engine is very different from previous ones, lots of changes, and it required many modders to make many updates to many of their mods. And if you don't have the right version then...Yep! Your game will go all crazypants. But if you get the right version -- if one exists -- I'm betting you'll be right as rain. Unfortunately, not everything was ever updated. And if yours weren't...Well, then you have a decision to make. In any case, I doubt this utility will help you. It does graphic-y things, not game mechanics things. I suspect you'll be much better served by looking to see if there are updated versions of your mods.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 7:23 PM
OK. I found that for some reason, the utility's Graphics.sgr for my config was the culprit behind the nastygram messages. I was able to change the video card sgr manually, so that's good. At least I don't have jagged lines.

I have a new Windows 7 rebuild, graphics card GTX 650Ti. I do have a copy of the amended graphics.sgr file on my desktop, but for now, plan to go with the game's file. I think I might actually like to play the game for a bit.

Forum Resident
#21 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 1:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
OK. I found that for some reason, the utility's Graphics.sgr for my config was the culprit behind the nastygram messages. I was able to change the video card sgr manually, so that's good. At least I don't have jagged lines.

I have a new Windows 7 rebuild, graphics card GTX 650Ti. I do have a copy of the amended graphics.sgr file on my desktop, but for now, plan to go with the game's file. I think I might actually like to play the game for a bit.

How did you fix the directx problem? I'm sorry, im so confused.
Test Subject
#22 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 3:36 PM
Would it be possible, to make such a program for The Sims 3? I have tried everything but I can't get the game to recognize my graphics card -.-
Mad Poster
#23 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 3:55 PM
@DieSimse this may help you http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...zed_by_the_game

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158