Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:40 AM
Default BodyShop not opening?
I'm opening the one that came with Mansion and Garden Stuff, and every time I try, it says "Please make sure that The Sims 2 and any of its tools are not running before starting this application." As you could probably infer, I don't have The Sims 2 (or its tools) running when I try to start the program.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening? It's really frustrating.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 2:52 AM
Have you used task manager to check that no processes are running? Also, have you tried deleting your caches?
Test Subject
#3 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:47 AM
I had this issue earlier, and when I opened and closed my task manager, it seemed to fix it. Silly question but, have you tried restarting your PC, perhaps? If all else fails, that's what I do, haha!

- Autumn
Field Researcher
#4 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 4:25 AM Last edited by klapaucius : 31st Jul 2014 at 8:19 AM.
I know that Bodyshop takes an absolute eternity to open, I swear I've seen continents drift faster. Whenever I've had problems I usually check Task manager, chances are there's something running that Bodyshop takes exception to.

Also, if in doubt, delete caches, that seems to fix every other issue the game has, might as well give it a crack for this problem too.
Scholar
#5 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 8:25 AM
you might need to try opening it from AL. I the think the body shop opens from EPs not SPs.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 8:50 AM
No it should be M&G since it's really an EP that they called an SP.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 8:59 AM
No - M&G was a mini-EP really and if you have that, that's where it runs from. (eh, ninja'd by Jo)

Is this an UC installation?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
I'm opening the one that came with Mansion and Garden Stuff, and every time I try, it says "Please make sure that The Sims 2 and any of its tools are not running before starting this application." As you could probably infer, I don't have The Sims 2 (or its tools) running when I try to start the program.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening? It's really frustrating.

If it is not the UC you are talking about, in which case I haven't the faintest idea what's wrong, then you might want to try and delete all the *.cache files from My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 and give it another try.
Scholar
#9 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 9:55 AM
I get that message and I wait a bit then try again.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 10:20 AM
You'll also get that message if you've started Bodyshop, got impatient waiting for it to show up, and then started it again.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#11 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 10:22 AM
I get that message after trying to load TS2 after I been through the My Documents folder installing mods, so yep, it's normal and you need to make yourself a cuppa whilst you're waiting.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
If it is not the UC you are talking about, in which case I haven't the faintest idea what's wrong, then you might want to try and delete all the *.cache files from My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 and give it another try.

No, I'm opening the one that came with the UC.

My Claim to Fame
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
You'll also get that message if you've started Bodyshop, got impatient waiting for it to show up, and then started it again.

That's probably it. I have a bad habit of clicking it like 50 times because it takes so long. The funny thing is, I wait for like 45 minutes, and THEN the message pops up. It feels like I'm just wasting my time.

My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#14 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 11:05 PM
You'll also sometimes get that message if you have SimPE running in the background, particularly if SimPE is using a file from the Downloads/Savedsims folders or the game files.

You can have both up at the same time, but open SimPE first, make sure it's not using a file, and then open Bodyshop.

If you try to open SimPE after you've opened Bodyshop, you'll usually get an error message because they're trying to access the same files.

A good idea for a faster Bodyshop is to move out all the downloads you're not planning to use, and only keep those you know you'll use. Works best for recolor/meshing projects, but can be worth to have in mind when making sims.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:58 PM
@simmer22
No, I don't have SimPE, so I don't know what the problem is. I tried clicking the icon only once, but it went 3 hours without ever opening, so I eventually clicked it again and then got so pissed off that I went back to furiously repeatedly clicking it. Then, 1 hour later: "Please make sure The Sims 2 or any of its tools are not running before starting this application."

God, this is getting annoying. I just want to get back to making sims!

My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 4:03 PM
You haven't answered if you tried clearing out caches. I assume you did, but one can never be too careful. Also, have you tried it without any downloads?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 4:14 PM
@gummilutt
If you mean the caches for BodyShop, I don't know how to.

My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 4:23 PM
Bodyshop caches are called cigen.package and contentregistry.package, and are in the same place as regular caches. But you should delete groups.package and accessory.package as well.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 2:17 AM
@gummilutt I tried, but it's still not opening

My Claim to Fame
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 2:50 AM
Did you try removing your downloads? Did you right click and run as admin? My Body Shop runs like molasses. I click open and have to leave it for a good half an hour.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 3:11 AM
@joandsarah77
I don't want to try removing the downloads because the last time I tried something like that I almost lost all my files. I did try running as an administrator but the message still popped up.

My Claim to Fame
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 3:33 PM
Anyone have any other ideas?

My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#23 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 3:49 PM
The first basic step of testing is to remove your downloads. There's no reason why moving them to your desktop should mean you lose them. Make double copies if you want to be really sure. But in the end, if it's not starting, it's most likely either caches or downloads. It could be that it takes insanely long to open, which would be fixed with downloads moved temporarily. Or it could be that something in there keeps it from starting, which would also be fixed.

Rule that out, and if doesn't work, do the game help FAQ. If none of that works, post a thread in help forum since this is a technical problem
Test Subject
#24 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 7:22 PM
This happened to me too what i did was open( My Documents > EA Games > The Sims 2 ) then I deleted the cigen and cache files and it opened faster then normal but i dont know whether it would work but it did for me
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#25 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 7:33 PM
@gummilutt
I took the Downloads out and the message still came up >.<

My Claim to Fame
Page 1 of 2