Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 6:50 AM
Default Ultimate Collection - Changing Game Language?
Is it possible to change the language of the game after the installation? (in my case from German to English - the translation is really awful)
thank you :D
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 7:35 AM Last edited by LoonehWannabe : 14th Aug 2014 at 4:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by furballvie
Is it possible to change the language of the game after the installation? (in my case from German to English - the translation is really awful)
thank you :D

EDIT: It's a bit different now.
let me write something up.

1. Type regedit into your Windows search bar.
2. Expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and then "SOFTWARE"
3. Expand "WOW6432NODE" (if on 64 bit, if not, skip this step)
4. Expand "Origin Games"
5. You should see some weirdly numbered entries. Click on the Entries until you see that it's "Sims 2 Ultimate Edition" in the right-hand pane under "Display Name"
6. find you locale code here. I changed the link so the ones there should be perfect the way they are.
7. Double-click on "Locale" in the Registry Editor and input the code under "Value Data"
8. Hit "OK"
You should be good to go.

EDIT : Follow the above tutorial thing to step 3 and then follow this:
Quote:
Let's assume that you followed all the steps I posted above. Well now you're in Regedit and "SOFTWARE"
You need to scroll up a ways and find ea games.
You will now see The Sims 2 and The Sims 2 Fun with Pets Collection.
Click on TS2: Fun with Pets Collection. Then go to "1.0" and then double click on "Language"
Since you're playing a German game, there should be a 3 in the editable box. Put a 1 in that box for US English or a 13 for UK English (which is what you'll probably want, as US English is ridiculous). Hit OK and you're good.

You can change LanguageName if you desire. Might be best to keep things nice and tidy, but it doesn't affect anything.

I just tried and my game's in the French language now, so wooo.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 6:15 PM
The German translation is indeed broken, filled with silly mistakes, like duplicate pie menu options because EA used the ellipsis character instead of the three periods they originally used. This mod fixes almost all, if not all, issues with this in just about every language the game was translated in, and even if you have the English version, I'd still recommend this mod. It fixed a few issues that I didn't even realize existed in my game.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
The German translation is indeed broken, filled with silly mistakes, like duplicate pie menu options because EA used the ellipsis character instead of the three periods they originally used. This mod fixes almost all, if not all, issues with this in just about every language the game was translated in, and even if you have the English version, I'd still recommend this mod. It fixed a few issues that I didn't even realize existed in my game.

That's an awesome find.
I wonder if the mod affects the French language. Being a student who is learning French as a language other than English, I'm kind of tempted to do a personal mod like this. For practice and giggles, you know?
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 9:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LoonehWannabe
That's an awesome find.
I wonder if the mod affects the French language. Being a student who is learning French as a language other than English, I'm kind of tempted to do a personal mod like this. For practice and giggles, you know?

Yes, it says so in the mod description that it does fix the French translation as well. You're in good hands.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:20 PM
EDIT: It's a bit different now.
let me write something up ...

thank you so much for taking the time to answer and write such a detailed instruction.
I did as you said, found everything at first try and changed the value from "de_DE" to "en_US" (assuming it wouldn't be any of the others - "Belgian English" anyone?).
I rebooted my computer and checked back if the edited value was still there (it was) but alas - as you can probably imagine by now - it did not work

Do you think I might need to delete some cached files from the game directory? (I'd hate to loose my saved games, but if thats what it takes ...)

Anyhow, thank you for all your help
Forum Resident
#7 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:36 PM Last edited by LoonehWannabe : 14th Aug 2014 at 4:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by furballvie
thank you so much for taking the time to answer and write such a detailed instruction.
I did as you said, found everything at first try and changed the value from "de_DE" to "en_US" (assuming it wouldn't be any of the others - "Belgian English" anyone?).
I rebooted my computer and checked back if the edited value was still there (it was) but alas - as you can probably imagine by now - it did not work

Do you think I might need to delete some cached files from the game directory? (I'd hate to loose my saved games, but if thats what it takes ...)

Anyhow, thank you for all your help

I'm looking into it.
When I wrote that I had adapted the old tutorial for the new system. A couple of hours after writing it, I tried to change the language to French with no luck. I'm going to poke around the registry some more to see if I can find anything else TS2 related.

EDIT: Figured it out... doof.

Let's assume that you followed all the steps I posted above. Well now you're in Regedit and "SOFTWARE"
You need to scroll up a ways and find ea games.
You will now see The Sims 2 and The Sims 2 Fun with Pets Collection.
Click on TS2: Fun with Pets Collection. Then go to "1.0" and then double click on "Language"
Since you're playing a German game, there should be a 3 in the editable box. Put a 1 in that box for US English or a 13 for UK English (which is what you'll probably want, as US English is ridiculous). Hit OK and you're good.

You can change LanguageName if you desire. Might be best to keep things nice and tidy, but it doesn't affect anything.

I just tried and my game's in the French language now, so wooo.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 8:27 PM
I'm looking into it.

Awesome - worked like a charm!

thank you so much for your help :D
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 9:00 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me, I'm stuck. After I click on SOFTWARE -> Wow64332Node -> EA GAMES -> The Sims 2 Fun with Pets I only have one thing there called (Standard). No options to change language or anything else. However, if I click on The Sims 2 folder instead I get more items, one called Language (with my current lanuage set as Data).

Should I try and do the steps here instead as there is nothing else in the The Sims 2 Fun with Pets folder besides (Standard) for me?
I have a 64bit windows 8 pc if that might make a difference (think not though). I don't want to try it before asking as I don't want anything to get fucked up.

Thanks,
JackOnYourBack