Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 6:20 PM
Default Government Services
Like many of you, I like to have an in-game government that collects taxes and provides services for my sims. I'd be very interested in hearing what government institutions other simmers have used in their hood so that I could steal those concepts for my own. Note, however, that I'm not especially interested in lots that just represent a service: i.e. a lot that just has a bunch of beds and represents the hospital doesn't really fit into how I play, while a clinic that dispenses grandma's comfort soup does Here's a list of the government services I've built in the past or intend to use in my current hood, once it develops:

The Ministry of Agriculture: This agency uses its budget to provide every family with a compost container which they are required to use for all their trash (on penalty of a fine). When the containers are full, the ministry rotates them out, providing the family with a new one and letting the old one sit and mature on the Ministry's own lot. Once a full load of compost is available, it is provided, free of charge, to agricultural enterprises in the Grand Duchy. This ministry also has jurisdiction over all the parks in the hood and is responsible for raking and collecting the fallen leaves there for additional compost. Since I don't allow bagged fertilizer in my hood, this is an absolutely critical service. I also give families a small tax break for each full load of compost they provide.

The Ministry of Finance: The dreaded tax collectors. This is a very small but very powerful ministry responsible for collecting taxes from those liable to them and managing the state budget, which is kept on this residential lot to be looked after and increased slightly through the income from record-keeping (novel-writing). This site is also home to Heimlichbourg's gold reserves (treasure chests, one treasure chest per 5000 simoleons of currency the government issues).

The Ministry of War: This ministry is home to Grand Duke's general, the ONLY sim in my hood allowed to have a Maxis career, as well as all the sims serving in the military .(employees on the General's lot paid from the military budget). The general's income will represent the takings from pillaging and extracting tribute from neighboring states, while his chance cards will represent battles. A successful chance card roll represents a major victory, nets a huge amount of plunder and leads to 0-2 soldiers dying. A failed roll represents a major defeat and leads to 4-all of the soldiers dying. At the end of the year, some of the plunder is divided between the soldiers, the general, and the state budget.

The Ministry of Culture and Education: This ministry owns all the community lots that have a cultural or educational function and manages their budget. I plan to have a residential boarding school lot to represent the educational system. They will also handle government subsidies for university students if those ever become available, and handle interactions with the Intercessionist Church of Heimlichbourg on behalf of the government.

The Ministry of Justice: This is another small but powerful ministry, responsible for maintaining a library of all the laws passed in Heimlichbourg, holding trials, collecting fines, and acting as judges in the event of disputes. They own the "law library and archives" lot, which contains all the novels representing laws, legal documents, records, and legal opinions. Lawyers in my hood don't follow the law career track (no maxis-jobs allowed). Instead, they collect fees for representing one of the parties to a dispute and gain income from novel writing- they write an argument for each case they take on, and are free to write legal opinions on all the high-profile cases in the hood. A sim has to have a college degree to be a lawyer, naturally.

Anything I've left out?

Check out my Simblr to follow the development of the Grand Duchy of Heimlichbourg!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 7:44 PM
Ministry of magic, controlling supply and amount of magical items and/or supernatural sims?

Ministry of trade, controlling any sim-owned businesses, holding unused deeds, deciding whether particular businesses should be allowed to run or not (e.g. loud dance clubs, gambling houses, etc)

Somewhere to register births, marriages and deaths, perhaps? To handle inheritance, etc.

What happens to families who are unable to pay taxes or support themselves? Are they provided for, left to starve, imprisoned?

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Instructor
#3 Old 16th Oct 2014 at 8:11 PM
As far as government goes, I'm still building things up in my hood. Not everything is implemented yet. But the plans are thus:

For the city, I will have a mayor (elected every 10 years in the '5' years (year 5, year 15, etc), campaigning to start the year before, including fundraisers). The mayor decides the spending of the city funds - he can add or remove tax benefits, add or remove laws, and decide on city planning (adding buildings/parks/etc., changing lot zoning, demolishing buildings). The mayor holds the purse strings for the city and thus also collects taces (every 10 years, just after his election. Then he has his budget for his elected term). In the city, the mayor decides the building code and permits. All buildings that are put up must be contracted out to (preferably local) architects for design and (local) builders.

The town also has a mayor (elected every 10 years in the '0' years (year 10, year 20, etc.), campaigning to start in the year before, including fundraisers). The mayor, once again, decides how to spend the funding, town planning, etc. There's two major differences between the city. First is that the town has agriculture (pretty big agriculture). So the mayor must have a plan to deal with them, but he's fairly free to decide a course. But, where the mayor of the city can pretty much do whatever he wants, the town's mayor has to deal with the RCPC (Riverside Character Preservation Council), which is a council that consists of three people: 1 artisan/business representative, 1 historical society representative, and 1 riverside agricultulture and green space representative (aka the 'garden club'). The RCPC is dedicated to retain Riverside as an agricultural hotbed on the outskirts and as a historical town renown for its lush green spaces and artisan & artist businesses. They're the ones that decide that trees can't be removed from properties, that main street must all have purple flowers and that starting farmers have tax relief in their first year in business. The mayor must have approval of his plans from this council and also must enforce rules they come up with. Unfortunately for the people of Riverside, the RCPC council members are elected for life. Don't like the one you elected? Though luck, you'll have to wait until they either step down (very few do this) or until they drop dead. Better pick some old folks just in case!

The city has the court system for the entire state, paid for by the city (in balance to the agriculture of the town). There has to be a minimum of one judge to take the bench for any court cases. Said judge will also preside over any city hall marriages. There is also at least one lawyer working for the state, representing the state in criminal trials and if needed working (pro-bono) in non-criminal trials (like divorces). But non-criminal trials are usually dealt with by law-firm lawyers.

Education services are state wide as well. The city has a high school and a primary school (sharing the same building) and a toddler group. The village has just a primary school. There's teachers, class outings, and extracurricular activities. Then there's the university, which has a university council - one administrator (head of the council) + 1 professor of every discipline (arts, sports, and science) + 1 student representative (must be at least in second year). The university council decides on campus looks, rules & educational programs. Up until high school education is free (although sims still pay for it through taxes). University costs 10,000 simoleons, to be paid upfront. Scholarships are available through the university and student loans are available through the banks.

Postal system is also state wide. I use a parcel service that allows you to send packages and the post card system that can be found here on MTS. Postal system is a bit weird, because while the postal offices are run as business, the rules concerning the postal system are governmental. (Prices are set state-wide to be the same).

Banks are businesses, like the postal system, but also governmentally controlled to a certain extent. There's rules on how much people may loan (no more than 50 % of salary) and who may loan (must have steady job, or a business with a minimum of 1500 profit a day on average, or be a student (who have 10k as max)). Mortages have slightly different rules, sims may not loan more than 50% of the house price and no more than 65 % of the salary. So far, these rules prevent a credit crunch, but I might change that up one day when I want to simulate some sort of banking collaps like in the 1930s.

Military is state wide. The state has a military base, part of which houses a classified project. Boot camp requires recruits to live in barracks. Once out of boot camp, they'll remain in the barracks until they either qualify for married housing (min. of 4 years of service and being legally married) or they qualify for officer housing (when they make officer grade). The general in charge of the base gets to decide the base rules (how much PT, how much guards, promotions, etc.). Overall military rules are made by all generals in consensus.

SCIA is a state wide branch as well. They deal with all the hush-hush stuff. Right now they're into...well, it's classified. Suffice to say they work with the military a lot.

Oh, and before I forget, the emergency services of course! The city has seperate police and fire departments, while the town has a smaller force for each who share a building. The police also operates a jail and enforce the law. The levy fines, etc. Because they use dogs (security, drug sniffers), I'm probably going to have them breed dogs for sale too. The fire department is less fleshed out still. I have a firefighter career and I might transport them to fires with the simblender to put them out. Oh, and I think they can give fire safety classes - I might have a hack that lets them lecture that. If not, they can 'lecture' a certain amount of hours and then use a hack I definitely have to give the students the fire safety knowledge.

Health care works a little bit differently. The highest in the medical career who lives in the city also owns the hospital, the highest in the medical career who lives in the town own the local clinic. Small cases can be dealth with in the clinic, otherwise they're flown to the hospital. Either way, the hospital/clinic is run as a venture (where people pay to spend time), with an added apothecary where medicines are sold. I'm using grandma's comfort soup as well as medicines I downloaded (from PC Sims, I think), they're pill bottles and each have a name (like sleeping pills) and an accompanying effect on the sim if they take them. I let sims autonomously buy these and if they've got 5 of one type of medicine in their inventory I take a look at all the medicines they have and 'diagnose' them with something. I also have a chair (kind of like the lie detector chair, or perhaps the surgical dummy?) where patients can actually be examined/have surgery. Of course, this will also cost money. Plastic surgery will not be provided by the hospital, you'll need to go to a privately owned clinic that does just plastic surgery,

Because there's a seperation of church and state, technically the church isn't part of the government. But, just to make this complete, I have the minister own the church (I've got a church in the city and one in the town). In the church you can have a baptism (the minister will bathe the child), wedding (with the wedding arch) or funeral (the minister will give a nice speech with Charisma podium thing while the urn/a photograph of the deceased & flowers are arranged on a memorial table). Of course, these services cost money. Every Sunday there's a service, where the minister will preach, these services are free. In the city there's a yearly rummage sale to raise money for the church (tables outside with stuff that costs 1-5 simolean, marked slightly up), while the town's church has a bake sale each year.

For now, that's the basics of what I want to implement. I might eventually go for a state senator as well. Then maybe have complete councils instead of having the mayor decide everything. Maybe some sort of building & greenery department that deals with the building code, public building and park upkeep. Maybe a fully fledged justice department with the judges, prosecutors, child protective services, adoption agency (which is now an orphanage that's not really government run, although they get tax breaks), and police all under one banner. But that's for far into the future. For now, I'm trying to get through year 3 and am slowly gearing up for the first ever election!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
What happens to families who are unable to pay taxes or support themselves? Are they provided for, left to starve, imprisoned?

Once the economy is sophisticated enough to include a bank, loans will be available for families that fall on hard times. In terms of punishments for families that are too poor to pay taxes and fines, I think the most likely solution is forced agricultural labor; the crops they grow can be exported to pay their debts. Military service is another option. I rarely use imprisonment as a punishment, I usually impose extra obligations or remove privileges. In my last version of Heimlichbourg a serf slapped a noble lady on a community lot, and the Grand Duke ruled that the victim now owned that serf and any future children she might have We don't take kindly to slapping well-connected people in this Very Homelike Land

Check out my Simblr to follow the development of the Grand Duchy of Heimlichbourg!
Inventor
#5 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 2:38 PM
Wow, this is all so in-depth! . The closest I've got to a government building is a library I made which doubles up as a job centre (it has the custom job noticeboard I found somewhere) and place to buy mobile phones. It's usually the first place I send any new sims to get a job and phone, and maybe skill up a bit and meet a few locals.

I also have a few youth and toddler clubs run by a playable sim that is purely in the game for running the clubs, nothing else. I also made an orphanage (which I've yet to use) and a bank - it looks great, but I still haven't used it yet. .

I've never gone so far as having a hospital or even proper school in my hood.
Instructor
#6 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq

In my hood, that depends on the mayor and what rules he implements. Once rules/laws/benefits/taxes are instated by a mayor, these remain in effect until another mayor decides to scrap them in favor of something else. So, say Mayor 1 is elected in year 5 and he decides that families get a 100 simoleon tax break per child, then that rule stays on the books. In year 15, Mayor 2 gets elected, but he manages the budget well enough that the rule is not a problem for him, so he lets it stand. Then, in year 25, Mayor 3 is elected, who wants to build a huge sports complex. So he scraps the tax benefit for having children to generate more income. (Of course, this will probably cost him the re-election if there are many families with children, or win him the re-election if the sports lovers out-number the families come voting time in the year 35).

Edited to add:

Quote: Originally posted by jodemilo
Wow, this is all so in-depth! . The closest I've got to a government building is a library I made which doubles up as a job centre (it has the custom job noticeboard I found somewhere) and place to buy mobile phones. It's usually the first place I send any new sims to get a job and phone, and maybe skill up a bit and meet a few locals.

I also have a few youth and toddler clubs run by a playable sim that is purely in the game for running the clubs, nothing else. I also made an orphanage (which I've yet to use) and a bank - it looks great, but I still haven't used it yet. .

I've never gone so far as having a hospital or even proper school in my hood.

It's all about building it gradually. I've got it all planned out, but most of it isn't in effect yet. I started playing my city with 8 sims, then added the village and 6 sims into rotation in year 2. Then I just add what I need. I needed a quicky-marriage, so a city hall marriage, so made a judge. He's added to rotation and can now marry the couple. I also needed a more romantic church wedding for a couple, so I added the minister who now owns the church (and lives next-door to the quicky-marry couple, if I recall correctly). I needed a hospital due to a paternity test as well as a flu epidemic that's driving me nuts (go comfort soup for sale!), so I made a couple who're both doctors, the husband is chief of staff and thus owns the hospital. Right now I'm using Maxis schools, but after the elections in year 5 (it's currently year 3) I'll build the school system. There's babies being born right now, and I plan to have all in-game born babies (not CAS-made children) go to the school's I've set up. I'm also slowly building my in-hood university, which will be ready when the first kids get to that age. So it's all about adding what you need, when you need it. That way, things grow organically and eventually you have everything the way you want it. For instance, year 3 will be the first year I add ROS events to the hood. That's gonna be fun :D.
Scholar
#8 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 8:11 PM
Well, as far my entire world goes, I imagine Sim Nation as a republic like the U.S. The president is Sancha Vernon (who I created). She replaced President Bryce Stonewall (the guy we see on on SBN doing a political speech) following a scandal. The government is in control of the military, public education, social services, and tax collection. My taxes and fees aren't that in-depth, just the ordinary bill collection and child support.

The military has a large influence and almost every town has a local military base.

Strangetown, in my game, is a strategic town, as it contains one of the country's top military bases and one of the country's top research facilities. For this reason, a lot of scientists and military families flock here.

There's a special government division that handles Alien Relations. They interact with an alien ambassador, currently Stella Terrano, to understand the presence of the aliens on Earth. Stella also works with prominent aliens, like PT Smith, to promote positive relations between the races. Several military leaders has distrust of aliens, and so the two groups come into conflict at some times

Besides the true government, the supernatural races each have their own leaders who handle affairs that concern their community. The Vampires have the Grand Vampires and the royal Tricou Clan; the Witches have their High Witches; Werewolves each submit to an individual pack leader, and fairies are under the reign of Titania Summrdream. There's also an occult council considering of representatives of each race to discuss supernatural threats
Test Subject
#9 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 8:15 PM
I'm sorry I'm completely clueless and haven't gotten everything to ts2 yet but is all this done through ofb?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 8:39 PM
In addition to the elected officials and Supreme Court, I have nine ministries:

Justice Minister
Education Minister
Intelligence Minister
Foreign Minister
Finance Minister
Interior Minister
Health Minister
Information (Propaganda) Minister
Defense Minister (also General Commanding the Armed Forces)

My little hood is just a bit bureaucratic Some of my ministers were private citizens (Editor of the Paper, City Planner, etc.) before power was centralized and concentrated. To be honest, most of the Ministries, etc. don't do much in game besides serving as props for my head canon and stories, but they do occasionally do things related to their various offices in-game.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 8:47 PM
Ministry of Sport and Recreation; Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; Ministry of International Relations; Ministry of Science and Technology; Minstry of Tourism (some of the names of ministries in South Africa, and I feel they might have potential in the Sim World) Oh, Yes - Ministry of Mineral Resources (for all the digging that can be done by Sims, they need one!)
Instructor
#12 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 9:03 PM
Wow, a lot of thought must have gone into implementing all of that in your game! I just began playing TS2 again after quite the hiatus since I've been at Job Corps, but I've begun playing recently since I'm now in college and was able to buy a laptop that had more than just integrated graphics and a lame sub - 2.0 GHz processor. I haven't gotten far, especially since one of the first things I did once I got my game set up was add an aging mod that significantly increases the lifespan of my Sims. So far, my first family has only just had their second child, and as far as I'm planning, I want to add a second family to the hood once their first child is closer to the end of his toddler years. As for things like having a hospital or school or some other government-type facility, I do plan to slowly add different buildings, and implement taxes and whatnot eventually. For the time being, Seaview is unincorporated land and if my Sims want to work, they pay whatever the "taxes" are in the game as is for now. I do plan to change that as it becomes more of it's own entity.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Scholar
#13 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by b1the1change
I'm sorry I'm completely clueless and haven't gotten everything to ts2 yet but is all this done through ofb?

Most of this is just story-telling
Instructor
#14 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 9:18 PM

Some of the things I do are done through OFB. Things like the minister owning the church and having a rummage sale or the doctor owning the hospital and selling grandma's comfort soup are done with OFB (and whatever ep grandma's comfort soup came with, was lifetime aspirations and unlocking it in the base game? I can't recall).

Some things are done with hacks and downloads. Taxes are done using Monique's computer or Christianlove's wallet controller, paid to the mayor who keeps it in the wallet controller (he can't spend it that way and there's no interest), and if he uses money he takes it out and donates it (which makes it disappear into the void) or actually pays sims with it.

For instance, if he wants to put up a new building, he has an architect design it. Said architect, when I play him, makes a drawing on the drawing table (this is all done with Maxis stuff, although don't ask me in which ep the architect career came with), then sells it to the mayor. I do this by having him place the drawing in the mayors inventory (by teleporting the mayor over and making him temporarily controlable with hacks). Once I'm in the mayor's household again, I have him pay the architect by writing him a cheque (using the wallet controller and the tax money, not his personal money). Then I build the building and deduct the lot value from the tax money by donating that amount.

I've got downloads like sendable post cards, medicine pills that actually do stuff, package service, prison and school stuff from simlogical so I can set up a prison and a school, the semester tester to have an in-hood university. Lots of stuff, really, to make this all possible. It's a combination of eps, hacks, downloads and a little creativity.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 10:22 PM
Grandmas comfort soup is FT, which is the EP that introduced lifetime aspiration meter and secondary aspirations, and as such, the aspiration perks.

I'll write out my system when I get back home, don't have all my files and stuff with me at the moment
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:09 AM
While I do run an integrated hood mine is more about free enterprise with the Government being very much in the background. I would not like to live under your rules Heimlichbourger, If someone came and took away my full compost bin I would have words with them!

Most of the services in my hood are publicly owned.

As far as Government goes I have two party's, the LP and the FB. (Shortenings for the Llama party and the Freezer Bunny party for my amusement)

The Government runs the court system, the public school, collect tax and offer a few services. The donation of free computers on move in (Rob Humble) They will now provide free compost bins on move in as well. (I hadn't thought of that, everyone had been paying for their own, although I might make this just a Llama party platform) There will in time be a Govt owned military base and possibly a historical society but there is none so far. I've also started thinking about a government run soap kitchen for the poor.

Certain services can get Govt funding like the hospital. Again this is privately owned , but people who cannot pay are covered by government health care. We have medicare over here so my sims have the same.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 12:21 AM

You've gotten two answers from our esteemed colleagues already, so here's one more One of the key rules of my playstyle is "nothing happens offstage." Many BACC hoods have lots that just "represent" a piece of infrastructure. I personally don't allow that- if something doesn't empirically happen in the game, it doesn't happen in my story. That means that OFB is the absolute lynchpin of having government services for me. To use one of my examples above, the Ministry of Agriculture can only manage the city's parks thanks to the ability to own community lots. I also use simwardrobe's checkbook quite extensively to pay taxes and handle business transactions. For example, townies are only allowed on special "export" lots that are introduced through story elements. When a craftsman produces a large load of goods (snapdragon bouquets, water wigglers, etc.), the sim who owns the trading company writes them a check, and the OFB sales interactions only enter into it on the port lot, where a sales sim pitches the goods to the foreign merchants

Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 2:28 AM
Ministry of the Plumbob and the Pie Menu - For our connection to the Almighty Watcher (that is, YOU, the player) must be forever protected and secure. For without their watchful eyes and helpful hands, we would all fall to the succumbs... of unpaid bills.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 4:30 AM
The ministry of commerce is a very useful idea! One of the main problems with my economic system thus far is that it doesn't create any possibilities for economic fluctuations. If I have a government agency dolling out expensive benefits and subsidizing the intellectual sector of the economy, there are sims whose lives would really be affected by budget decisions

Instructor
#22 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 8:05 PM
I make no means to understand the government, but seeing as this is my world I'm just going to make stuff up and if it sounds wrong then oppps. Anyways, I've sort of combined the US/UK goverment into a mix and they may be some overlaps but oh well. So be prepared for this long post (again sorry for any spelling mistakes)

System sort of works like this: Mayor/Prime Minister > Governor & Senator of State (1 each) > First Secretary & Leaders of their respective sectors (business, law, Health etc) > Individual Secretary of State Council members of different areas (Trade & Rural affairs, Communication & Skills, Education etc etc)

Secretary of State Council members & Senator of State & Mayor are voted by the Public.
Governor & First Secretaries are voted by council members.

There are also two conflicting parties underlying this government - this includes the S.S.D.P ( The Supernatural Sceptics Defence Police) and the S.F.P.T (The Supernatural Fan Protection Team).

Government Officials:

Mayor/ Prime Minister – First Lord of the Civil State Council & Treasury – is the Top Dog! Is the face of the government, as well as listening to his/her council men and women on the going ons of the hood and signing off on final legislations.

Governor of State – Is usually an ex-leader council member of one of the areas in government. So you see how we have representatives of each area such as business and science and technology. Well the only way to get to that position is if other members take a vote and put you in that position. Anyways, each hood can have a Governor of State – they can issue bills that could be turned into legislation which will then become a Law. Of course they need to work alongside the Senator of State to take into account public option as well.

Senator of State – Is elected by the public members to represent them, and therefore must work alongside the Governor of State to make sure that both the governments and the public’s opinions on matters are balanced when in ‘discussion’ at City hall. Is usually just an ordinary sim.

Business

Head of the Business Sector Title:

‘First Secretary of Business Affairs and Leader of the Business Council’ –is the representative of the below civil state council members.

Secretary of State for Trade & Rural Affairs – Deals with Sim owned businesses dealing with consumable goods such as fresh fruit and veg; fish. Also deals with Charities proving catering services to the less fortunate (e.g. Soup kitchens or introducing new Food care packages to homes and schools)

Secretary of State for Home Owners – Deals with Sims on a personal level with their Lot start-ups for Sims wanting to own their own business. This part of the government really believes in the idea of corporate mobility for individuals instead of being bogged down at a community lot. Therefore, helps homeowners start home businesses by providing financial aid and financial advice.

Secretary of State for Business Ventures & Innovation – Deals with Enterprise start-ups; providing financial aid and advice to those that would like to enter the corporate world of owning a business. Differs from the Ministry of Home Owners because this part of the government is more public, and in fact partly owned by the public through shares (as in members of the public can buy shares into their business) and other business investments. Whereas, the Ministry of Home Owners is a separate division and is more privately owned by a particular family.

Environment & Health:

Head of the Environmental & Health Sector title:

‘First Secretary of Resources & Public Health Affairs and Leader of the Health and Environmental Council’ –is the representative of the below civil state council members.

Secretary of State for Raw materials & Energy – Deals with the environmental factors of the country, is also known as ‘The Green Party’. This means keeping an eye on the number of raw materials that are used by the public and by the government; providing alternative ‘renewable’ resources that could be used. Big on recycling goods and providing Sims with compost bins to every home owner and come to pick up their compost and provide a replacement once every two weeks. Also, own the digging site where there are researching ways to produce ‘renewable’ energy.

Secretary of State for The Health Care System – Deals with the Sims health care system. Provide funding for hospitals and clinics, offer free health for those that are unable to pay for their health care package. This does mean that other Sims get increased tax due to this, and at times this causes conflict between those that can pay and those that cannot. This department are also the ones that pay doctors, nurses and other health officials.

Science & Technology:

Head of the Science & Technology Sector title:

‘First Secretary of Technology & Scientific Affairs and Head of the Science & Technology Council’ –is the representative of the below civil state council members.
Secretary of State for Technological Advancement – Robots! Mechanical limps! Designing space ships that can explore the planets!

Secretary of State for Alien Relations & Supernatural Affairs – Bringing together Aliens and Humans and finding a way to co-exists. Is usually a representative of the Alien race, and is a member of the S.F.P.T (The Supernatural Fan Protection Team)

Secretary of State for Scientific Discovery – Well we couldn’t have an Alien Relations representative without someone having discovered Aliens in the first place. This part of the government works strictly with the ‘Secretary of Defence’ and the ‘Secretary of Justice’, to finding out more discovers of not just aliens but also other supernatural beings. – It also means that this part of the government works with the SCIA & the Military; and is also member of the S.S.D.P. (The Supernatural Sceptics Defence Police) – It is in no relation to the normal State Police.

Public Services & Communication:

Head of the Public Services & Communication Sector title:

‘First Secretary of Communication, Transport and International Development and Head of the Public services & Communications Council’ –is the representative of the below civil state council members.

Secretary of State for Communication & skills: Deals with the media of the hood. This includes news broadcasters, radio stations and other media outlets. This person owns the postal system (including every post office in the hood) – monitoring parcels and letters and making sure everyone gets it delivered in a timely manner. In regards to skills – it is mainly to do with providing vocational courses on lifelong skills (differs from the Secretary of Education) this includes Public speaking (charisma), Writing courses (novels – helping sims with their writing skills by providing this with a safe haven where they can focus on finishing that novel they’ve been writing for the past 10 sim years.) and conversation skills (for shy awkward sims – not saying that all shy sims have problems when having conversations – but for those that do maybe they could do better if they had better communication skills).

Secretary of Transport – Owns the bus stations and taxi services (making sure taxi driver are ‘paid’ a reasonable fee for their services). Provides driving facilities so that people are able to ‘learn’ how to drive and so they issue driving licenses to any person who are at a driving age and have passed their tests. As well as being in charge of the airports so that Sims are able to go on their holidays without too much delay – they also own the travel agents that sims book their flights with.

Secretary of Culture & International Development – Deals with museums, libraries as well a member of the History Council in preserving ancient artefacts found at digging sites. This member of the council usually works closely with the ‘Secretary of State for Raw materials & Energy’ – in regards to if their team discovering something that could be an artefact of historical meaning. They also deal with the international relations between the hoods, and provide a council meeting which is held every new term (So every autumn – 3rd season of that year) to allow Senators in particular to discuss any conflicting affairs between two nations. Usually the ‘Secretary of Justice’, ‘Secretary of Defence’ and ‘Secretary of Communication and Skills’ are encouraged to attend such meetings to help with such developments between nations.

I do have more like the usual 'Secretary of State of Financial Control', 'Secretary of State for Justice', 'Secretary of State for Defence' etc etc. But I've not totally fleshed out all of the different council members roles in my head yet, so that is why these are just the few that I could remember off the top of my head.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 2:17 AM
I love the idea of corporate funded research! The Church could also fund scientists they like and shout down those who might discover something contrary to their doctrine. I definitely want to have a complex academic hierarchy. Rather than using the education career, I plan to use the Residential Graduates mod for the inteenimator, that way academically-minded sims can stay at the university lots and do research