Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 8:09 PM
Default Build a Virtual Family! Definitely not TS2!
So as I was scrolling through my unimpressive Sunday afternoon news feed, I stumbled upon this beauty.

...Y'know, personally, I don't think this resembles TS2 at all.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 8:11 PM
Test Subject
#3 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 8:11 PM
EA will have a field day with this I'm sure.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 8:16 PM
Then again, EAxis has officially stopped supporting TS2.
Every time I see an ad like this I have to chuckle.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 9:14 PM
Kaiko, you should put a spoiler tag on that so that people don't have to load all those images just to view this thread. You write [] with "SPOILER" inside it (no "), then repeat it with a / before spoiler at the end.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 10:08 PM
As for EA "having a field day with this", I have to not only agree, but am waiting for them to sue the ever-loving potatoes out of them.

EA sued Zygna for daring to go a bit too far with a program EA believed resembled the sims series a bit too much:
EA/Maxis Sue Zynga for Copyright Infringement

The statement on that page was written by (or for her) Lucy Bradshaw, General Manager of the Maxis label.

They take infringement very seriously:

Quote:
The core legal issue is our belief that Zynga infringed copyrights to our game, The Sims Social. In legal terms, our claim is that Zynga copied the original and distinctive expressive elements of The Sims Social in a clear violation of the U.S. copyright laws.

I wouldn't want to be the lawyer for the other company. EA has very deep pockets.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 10:22 PM
Wow, Zygna must be really stupid, that's like sticking your finger into a lion's mouth and saying "Dare to bite me". Of course EA will jump all over them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#9 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 10:43 PM
Stuff like this is all over the apple app store. Is there some sort of loophole allowing app makers to use stuff from other games?
Scholar
#10 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 11:15 PM
Hey, doesn't that Sim woman have CC hair? It really doesn't look like any Maxis hair I've seen... That would mean it's from someone's actual game, not a promo pic, which means they probably swiped a picture someone posted online -- and I'm sure they didn't bother telling the original poster they were using it either! I heard about a diet-pill company doing that with someone's photo that she had posted on her fat-pride blog, putting in a caption ridiculing her size and claiming she had used their pill to get skinny...to her outrage when she found out, of course!
I think I'll just go check on the permissions for my pictures on Flikr...
Field Researcher
#11 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 12:29 AM
I know this isn't a popular opinion, but this is one of the few times I actually support corporate rights. In this case, EA/Maxis hired the developers, created what might be the best game ever, as well as marketed and published it. They have every right to say 'this is ours you can't use it.'

The sad thing here is this is just like sites illegally taking things from around the web and charging for them.

I'm no lawyer, but since there's businesses involved it's likely the violator will just pay a fine or face some other ramification (like finding a new server or whatever) that's less than the revenue generated from the copyright infringement.

Either that or this is something set up in a country where copyrights aren't enforced too well and they want unsuspecting people to visit their site only to find they've been infected by driveby malware.
Scholar
#12 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 12:37 AM
It'll come back to bite them when their players realize they've been had
Field Researcher
#13 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 1:45 AM
I used to see things like this all the time before I put in adblocker- on sims CC sites, no less! I never understood the point of them. The only people who click on them are the wee ones and older folks if they are unaware of what the Sims 2 is. Once they find out that the game isn't what was advertised, they're not going to stick around. Plus, if you're the type that's interested in simulation games you are practically guaranteed to have a Sims game.

Also, is that hair a raon hair? The texture looks like one. *gasps, turns on heel* The gall!
Test Subject
#14 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 4:10 AM
Does "No longer supporting TS2" really mean copyright no longer applies?

I don't care enough personally as it is EA's problem, not mine.

I do agree that using ANOTHER game to advertise your own is a really bad idea. Silly Virtual Family people.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 4:20 AM
Copyrights have no real hard ending date, and EA still owns the copyrights to all of the Sims games:

How Long Does Copyright Protection Last?

Quote:
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.
Alchemist
#16 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 8:13 AM
Meh, I feel sorry for those who actually click it
Field Researcher
#17 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 8:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Midnight ADR
Does "No longer supporting TS2" really mean copyright no longer applies?
No, support and copyright are two different things.

"Support" means maintaining the product and making sure it still works. End of support means: "so Sims 2 doesn't work on your new computer? Sorry, we no longer support that."

"Copyright" means they created it and own the rights to what others can do with it. All of us that have copies of Sims 2 just have a license to run it on our computers. I can't place a disc image online and let people download it (and for good reason). I can't claim that I made it or that I "own" it, because I don't. Technically speaking, they also have the right to tell people they cannot use it at all and/or cannot resell their copies. Not terribly popular however it's true.
Instructor
#18 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 5:58 PM
Gosh, I've seen those adverts on facebook and other sites for YEARS using images from TS2 and then it just winds up being for IMVU and other baloney like that.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 2:27 AM
It's probably because of these silly ads that some people think The Sims series is absolute rubbish. And it's not those that think simulation games are weird - it's those that love simulation games but think The Sims is just silly because they fell into the wrong hole and wound up playing one of these awful spin-offs. If only... they could get a free copy of a REAL, QUALITY Sims game, then all would be well. For the Simming community, at least.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 12:04 PM
I really wish that there was a study by some important psychological group to prove that playing 'our' game will relieve mental and emotional stress..I bet it would make the whole idea more appealing than 'everyone else' thinks it is.

Because I think it does. How many times has anyone gone to play any of our game editions and felt better afterwards? It's far better (IMO) to play this game than to watch TV and see people murdering each other in cold blood.
Instructor
#22 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I really wish that there was a study by some important psychological group to prove that playing 'our' game will relieve mental and emotional stress..I bet it would make the whole idea more appealing than 'everyone else' thinks it is.

Because I think it does. How many times has anyone gone to play any of our game editions and felt better afterwards? It's far better (IMO) to play this game than to watch TV and see people murdering each other in cold blood.

Well, if you don't like violence on television, that is your preference. On the other hand, seeing as we have control of our Sims (those of us who have learned to handle our Sims anyway) I would say that the game might be beneficial to those of us who have difficulty with control in our lives. Also, there is the matter of the fact that we learn to cater to our Sims needs, and we also have a creative outlet in the storytelling side of things and building/decorating as well. We can also explore relationships with a Sim. In my own personal life, I have recently had an issue with someone who does not understand the boundaries of friendship and that saying something flirtatious can be disastrous if it's said to the wrong person. I honestly think the person I know IRL would benefit from seeing just how badly a poorly chosen "flirt" with a "friend" in game would affect a romantic relationship with another Sim. There is also the matter of time management to be considered too.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 10:28 PM
I don't like violence on TV, or in the movies.

It desensitizes people to keep watching murder and mayhem without consequences, or those that are solved in 60 minutes. Real life is far harsher, and I'd rather not spend it watching gratuitous violence for amusement purposes.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 11:43 PM
I always found the game jealousy to be based on a rather unhealthy relationship. Being flirted with is not your fault, and not something anyone should get mad about. And if they do get mad, I'd say that's cause for some concern. Having been in abusive relationship for a long time, you realize that kind of jealousy is not normal. If you flirt back and that's not okay with how your relationship is agreed, then fine, but you can't control what other people do and getting blamed for it (as you are indirectly being if there is anger directed at you or affecting you), is not healthy.

That said, friends should know better than to flirt if they know you aren't interested.

I hear you FranH. I have a very low tolerance for violence, and don't enjoy movies of that kind, much to the annoyance of many friends when deciding movie at cinema/movie nights. I don't see the enjoyment, and to me it's much too easy to connect to reality. I also don't read newspapers, because I already know the world sucks. Don't need exact details of how it is sucking right at this moment
Mad Poster
#25 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH

*is a Psychology student looking for ideas for a dissertation*
I did once consider looking at the affects of playing Sims in relation to 'controlling' personalities

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Page 1 of 2