Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 6:40 PM Last edited by leefish : 20th Oct 2014 at 7:24 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 4577752, 4577755
Default Neighbourhood Themes
Does anyone mind if I post something here regarding The Sims2?

Well here it goes: I have a blank new neighborhood in the Sims 2 waiting to be filled with lots, and culture! Trouble is I can't decide what I want the theme to be. I have a list here of the themes to choose from, and some examples. Any Ideas?

Far East (China,Japan,etc.)
Southwest(Texas, Mexico, etc.)
European modern(southern Europe like Itay, and France. Nothing north of Germany)
European Medieval
Russian
Southern (New Orleans, Florida, etc.)
New England
Middle East
Urban City
Futuristic
Advertisement
Inventor
Original Poster
#2 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 7:11 PM
Can people please just tell me what they'd choose?
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#3 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 7:26 PM
David, I moved your posts regarding themes for Sims2 Neighbourhoods from the Sims4 forum to the Sims2 forum as it is a bit more suited to this area.....

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 8:07 PM
Why do you need a theme? What do you find fun to play? What kind of mods can you find to support it?

Here's one for you: The Alien Zoo! The aliens have abducted sims, houses and all, from many eras and locations. Now the March Girls live next door to Holmes, Watson, and Mrs. Hudson; Fagin, Nancy, Sykes, the Dodger, and Oliver Twist wake up in a tenement across the street from Tara, where Scarlett, Rhett, Ashley, and Melanie have to cope with a Mammy and Prissy who realize they don't have to take these white folks' crap anymore! Long John Silver and Hiawatha are learning new skills, the Bennet girls are discovering the joys of women's liberation, Frankenstein and his monster must share an apartment to survive, the Bobbsey Twins go to school with the Brady Bunch, and seven castaways find that getting off Gilligan's Island doesn't mean they return home!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#6 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 8:58 PM
David, my Simasota County, which will include all of the Maxis neighborhoods, a couple of military bases, and possibly Peni's Widespot if she's okay with it being reused and I decide that I like it included, will be loosely based on Charlotte, Sarasota, Manatee, and Desoto Counties in Florida, in terms of government and climate. I've already begun to work on a Sheriff uniform and patrol car (based on the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office) and a high school cheerleading uniform (based on Port Charlotte High School) to simulate the area. SimNation I would consider to be a state (shaped like Florida) within the United States of Imagination.

Capital City and Nook University (both accessible as a subhood in the same megahood) will incorporate some elements from Washington, DC and New York City, which may be somewhat of a challenge being I've never been to either one, but I'm up for it. Captial City, however, is not merely a city for Sims; it is the capital of most of the imaginary world to include the Mushroom Kingdom of Super Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong Island, San Andreas and Liberty State of Grand Theft Auto (I imagine Liberty City is just a train ride away from Capital City), etc etc etc. I haven't decided whether Mickey Mouse is a resident of Anaheim, San Andreas or Orlando, SimNation. :-)

I haven't done much with it lately because I've always either been busy with real life things, or busy procrastinating.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 9:05 PM
I made WIdespot and Widespot RFD, the Subhood, just so people could use and reuse them! Go wild. Laura made a prehistoric version of it; I've seen them genderswapped; it's all good.

To OP: Don't be too annoyed at teasing. For one thing, the Alien Zoo is something I've always wanted to do myself, and is therefore a serious suggestion. Also, many of your themes could also be combined - a futuristic New England, highly urbanized Far East, etc.You're asking other people to decide what would be fun for you - and we can't. Only you can do that.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#9 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 4:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I made WIdespot and Widespot RFD, the Subhood, just so people could use and reuse them! Go wild. Laura made a prehistoric version of it; I've seen them genderswapped; it's all good.

Good to know, thanks Peni!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 4:23 AM
My two main themes are medieval and beach.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 10:46 AM
From those, I'd choose Urban City, or Southern European.

My current hood themes are:
American suburbia with a slight comic book feel (Maxis - Uberhood)
English village, town, and run down area all in close proximity
Post apocalyptic wasteland
Woodland rural-ish, small town kind of feel.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Inventor
#12 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 11:23 AM
One theme I'd like to play is the idealised American 1950's middle class suburbs. Right out of Leave it to Beaver.
Only I'd have sims of all colours, not just white sims :P

I've always loved the 50's aesthetic but I don't much care for this "modern" take on it.

The cool thing is I wont need much CC. I don't know why I haven't started a hood like that already, honestly. I just haven't gotten around to it...
Alchemist
#13 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 4:17 PM
It would be cool to see something like Sunlit Tides/Isla Paradiso
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 5:26 PM
I can't tell you what neighborhood theme that fit for you, you can choose and play whatever you like. You want to create a sim town on the moon, or the wooden cottages village above the green swamp in Louisiana, you can do it !

I have a huge neighborhood with a mixed-theme. This city has 32 districts (Main nbh.), and 9 Special administrative area (Downtown and Shopping nbh.), each district has a different theme, like a beach district, old town district, downtown district, mafia district, jail district, infected district, Thai-style country district, etc. Anyway, beware of an application crashed pop-up, sometimes a huge neighborhood can create serious havoc on your PC.

You can create your own neighborhood with a mixed-theme like me or one themed neighborhood, and again, choose a theme whatever you like to create, because this is The Sims 2

♒ Aquarius Sun, ♈ Aries Moon, ♈ Aries Rising

Sorry for my English :)
Field Researcher
#16 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 3:53 PM
I don't worry much about a design theme. Crazy-looking futuristic house next to southwest abode house next to Cape Cod saltbox? Sure, why not.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 4:35 PM Last edited by gazania : 3rd Nov 2014 at 4:45 PM.
I once did a "Land of the Mud People" subhood.

Scenario ... I downloaded an interesting skin that while I really liked the features, the coloration looked like .... mud. So my mud people colony moved to a dirt terrain, using adobe and wood houses. Outsiders would come and go (I didn't know about custom townies, and even now, would probably simply create many mud people townies, rather than do all Sims in the main hood and all the subhoods). They lived fairly normally ... had all the latest appliances and all that ... but preferred earth tones. A couple married outside their kind, but most tended to marry other mud people. There were no measures taken against those who married non-mud-people. They lived in the subhood, and everyone got along and socialized just fine.

Think of something along many ethnic communities today ... the hood does not have to be segregated. The residents can be proud of their heritage, and fully incorporate aspects of their culture into their daily lives, but embrace and incorporate other cultures as well. Easier to play, too, IMO.

Recently, I've done commune enclaves. Those hippies sure know how to have fun! Again, while their community takes up a large portion of a subhood, they interact with others. They prefer "greener" decor and clothing .... and grow their own veggies and herbal remedies. They sell their veggies and homemade crafts to the local folk, and if they like certain people outside the commune, have no qualms about inviting them over for some herbal remedies as well.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 7:59 PM
Hm, I would be interested in a Sims 2 version of Midnight Hollow that isn't as dark lighting wise as the Sims 3 version. I like the Sims in Midnight Hollow but can't play it for very long because it literally gives me a migraine. (The lighting of the world combined with the terrain make me need to strain my eyes to see a damn thing, and that eye strain sets off migraines.)

How would a Sims 2 neighborhood like that be set up? I have never created a new Sims 2 neighbor hood, I've only played the pre-existing ones.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
Hm, I would be interested in a Sims 2 version of Midnight Hollow that isn't as dark lighting wise as the Sims 3 version. I like the Sims in Midnight Hollow but can't play it for very long because it literally gives me a migraine. (The lighting of the world combined with the terrain make me need to strain my eyes to see a damn thing, and that eye strain sets off migraines.)

How would a Sims 2 neighborhood like that be set up? I have never created a new Sims 2 neighbor hood, I've only played the pre-existing ones.

You'd need Simcity I think (?!?), to create new 'hood templates. A third part game/program anyways.
Otherwise, you'd need to edit as much as possible, one of the existing templates..but then, you'd have to deal with the roads already there, no editing.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Banned
#20 Old 3rd Nov 2014 at 8:42 PM
#neworleans

I would love for someone to create a New Orleans hood in this game.
Inventor
#21 Old 4th Nov 2014 at 12:13 AM
I'm sitting on the fence again.

On one hand, half of the time I play Pleasantview, which is pretty cosmopolitan; along with the stock Pleasantview and Bluewater Village Sims, I have the dog-loving mountain folk and their Bigfoot friend--who have a werewolf daughter going through college--living just up the road from the witchy coven and the bachelor warlock and right next door to the treehouse where the green-skinned nature girl used to live, with the vampire/witch living across town in her creepy hilltop manor, and two more vampires living Downtown in a church with a crypt under it, and the green-skinned nature girl now lives with three Nature-loving farmgirls with a huge greenhouse and an organic produce store, and the two homely countryfolk sisters are still running their arts and crafts shop after moving to a house on the beach in Bluewater Village, and the robotician man just got engaged to the robotician woman, joined their families and moved to Richville (the rich people's Downtown subhood), and the robotician man's half-alien daughter just started going to college...et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

On the other hand, the other half of the time I play Moku Lahahana, my custom neighborhood which is a tropical archipelago; the main neighborhood's an island, the shopping subhood's another island, and the downtown and university subhoods are both islands too. Seasons are Summer-Summer-Summer-Spring, and most of the playable families are native islanders living in grass huts and a mud hut or two (with one family of brothers living in a primitive stone pyramid). The rest of the playables (as well as the randomized townies, of course) are First World settlers, and the main island (Moku Lahahana) is pretty well divided between the native culture and the "intruding" culture, with the natives taking up most of the beaches, mainland, and deep jungle to what I think is the east and south sides of the island, and the settlers taking up the rest. And rather than go into all-out war or violence, each side is more or less trying to befriend, win over and assimilate people from the other side. And the islanders seem to be winning; one of the settler girls "went native" after befriending a few islander girls while she was attending Moku Wainani College, and the widowed, elderly patriarch of the Mahao tribe (or family) fell in love with Dora Ottomas, married her and welcomed her into the tribe and their village.

WooHoo may or may not have greased the axles. :D

And Peni thinks that I hate the "Ottomai". Ha ha! :P

The safari-hunting Fletcher family is still picking fights with a few of the natives, though.

Maybe I should bring back Brutus McChunk (my bygone neighborhood bully) just to mix things up a bit more. I'm curious to see where this neighborhood goes from here. I think it's a pretty good theme myself