Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 7:07 PM
Default How to make children equal to adults?
Hello,
I'm new to modding sims and have a few questions. In the end I want to achieve a game state where children are equal to adults, so they can use all object- and social interactions. There is no need for actual adults to be able to use kid interactions, just one sided.

I'm experienced with python and I started decompiling the .pyo files. Now I have an huge amount of .py files and no idea where to start. I'm not even sure I got all of the important ones. The program had a few errors like it said before. But it didn't say what needed to be there in the end.

1) Are there diagrams which show how the game is structured and how every file interacts with others?
2) How do I recompile the files again to test them in the game? Do I just move over the changed .py file and delete the .pyo?
3) I'm running the latest version of the game I think. 1.13.something. Is there a way to downgrade to another version? Do I even need to due to modding resources I would have to use (libs, or tools, etc.)?

Also to my idea itself: I thought I would delete the children class entirely and then add a new one which inherits from the adult class. Then I would change the default model for that class and be done. In theory this should work great, but I don't know about the limitations of modding at this point.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction, thanks.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Jan 2016 at 11:12 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 1st Jan 2016 at 11:25 PM.
Age limitations are usually in the object tuning, so what you'd need to do is override that with the age test removed. However, usually when children cannot use an object, there is no animation for it either that would fit a child's body, so they will stretch to fit the adult-size animation .. not sure if that is what you want.

A short overview on XML tuning is posted in the Tutorials forum. The age part is easy to see in the XML, it has a list that goes

<V t="specified" n="ages">
<L n="specified">
<E>YOUNGADULT</E>
<E>ADULT</E>
<E>ELDER</E>
</L>
</V>

so you'd just add TEEN and CHILD to this, or remove the test.

An alternative to overriding the object tuning would be to create custom animations just for children, and add them to the object's super_affordances list via scripting. See the sticky in this forum for how that works. This has the advantage of being much less collision-proof, and not requiring an update for nearly every patch.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 13th Mar 2017 at 8:23 PM
this would not be all about _XML tuning if you want the kids to do every thing that adults do
for some interactions this must also be done in UNKN files

and those can also use the 'minimum age' setting in which case you need to replace the called age-group with the one you want

remove me from your history, I'm not interrested in this site anymore