Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 9:24 AM
Default Poly count
What are the obstacles of increasing the Poly count of the Sims 3's base models? I've done so in Skyrim with no problems, other than the obvious higher demand during gameplay, but I've noticed no one has ever increased the poly count in the Sims 3, or at least to my knowledge. If I was going to hazard a guess, I'd assume the sliders might be a problem. Anyone know specifics, spill the beans! Thanks.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 9:36 AM
Yes, the sliders will be an issue, and if you're talking about doing it to the faces.... Well, I won't call it impossible because it would technically be within the realm of remote possibility, for a skilled modder who knew their way around TS3 meshes and their foibles and had a good 6 months or a year to dedicate to redoing each and every one of the base sliders for every single age group.

Same story with the bodies, but with fewer sliders but you still have to deal with fat/thin/pregnant morphs for each one, and for allllll the clothes.

Dunno how it'd work with any premade sims that don't use the higher-detail faces though - both ones living in worlds already, as well as any downloaded. Imma guess they'd be completely incompatible and cause the game to crash, as that's usually what TS3 does when it gets confused about something.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 2:41 PM
For faces - the exclusively bone-based sliders would be unaffected as long as you did the bone assignments correctly, but the GEOM sliders would have to be redone. I really don't know how many are GEOM-based or have a GEOM component. Probably quite a few. With the amount of work involved in making ONE geom-based facial slider (6 ages, 2 genders for teen and up, 2 or 3 lods depending on the slider = 12 to 36 meshes for each direction of the slider) I'd say HP's estimate of six months + for a complete job is realistic.

Body sliders are almost all bone-based and should be okay, with the exception of the few made specifically for one body mesh.

Another complication would be if higher-poly meshes and EA or current custom meshes are used together, they're not going to match at the neck, waist, and ankle seams.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 1:29 AM
Interesting. Well, when Cmar and HP says 'it's hard' that equates to impossible for me. Oh, and retextures.....for everything. I'm sure Sims 4 will have super high poly models, they just hid all the poly's on the inside!