Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 5:33 AM
Default Main Beach
This beach lot has lots of fun things for your Sims to do. The lot has a clothing shop (surf shop), basketball, playground, log rolling, food stand, BBQ area, campfire, game room and fire dancer.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 1:22 PM
The log roller looks a little out of place there.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 2:10 PM
I like your landscaping and building shapes but the same two problems with this lot that were in the others is the huge size of the bathrooms and clothing store. I think you just need to start thinking in sim scale and making these types of area in all of your lots smaller. If 50 sims were in that shop at once it would be okay, but anyone using this probably wont have more than 6 and they will look lost. bathrooms don't need any more than say 3 stalls each and 1 or 2 showers. One on the beach would be handier. Think about how long it takes them to walk to each item and what they really need.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 3:46 PM
I agree with all the Jo has said.

Why do you need a clothes shop on a beach lot? I would change the ground floor of the building into a cafe. You could pop an indoor play area into it as well. I like the games area. You could add in another snooker/pool table. You have arcade machines in front of windows - not a good idea.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 9:45 PM
It's a shame Sims 2 doesn't have separate clothing racks for swimsuits, like Sims 1 did. A small surf shop that sold swimsuits, cover-ups, souvenir t-shirts, and sundries like sunscreen and hats would not be out of place on a commercial beach like this one; but a single clothesrack and some deco would cover that.

I get the impression that you prefer one-stop community lots where sims can do everything without an extra loading screen, which is a legitimate taste; and there's legitimate reasons to have largish lots. And you're not the only person who prefers those. One-stop-shop lots will have a market.

But do think in terms of the time it takes sims to do things; the way large lots eat up resources and generate fewer sims; and how much space is actually needed for the activities you want to cover. Large lots have as much need for an efficient floorplan as small ones do. You won't have as many bottlenecks on a large lot, but you'll have more instances of sims' actions timing out before they reach the thing they're aiming for; of sims missing each other because of the distances involved; of players losing track of members of groups because they can't take in the whole lot.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
It's a shame Sims 2 doesn't have separate clothing racks for swimsuits, like Sims 1 did. A small surf shop that sold swimsuits, cover-ups, souvenir t-shirts, and sundries like sunscreen and hats would not be out of place on a commercial beach like this one; but a single clothesrack and some deco would cover that.

Ain't that the truth - I had some lovely speciality clothes racks for TS1. I made an airport once - that was fun. Beach clothes, holiday stuff, ski shop, duty free and a nice little sound mod that made the sound of aircraft taking off and landing in the corner with the flight boarding doors. Then there was another mod on lot - a booking desk which your sims could use to book a flight and then go straight from the airport lot to their holiday destination. That was great.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 10:16 PM
I've often bemoaned the lack of variety in the clothing racks. I tend to use the cheap racks with light colours in my beach shops to try and pretend they are beach clothes. I agree with Peni, for function you only need a couple of racks.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 11:04 PM
First, the building and the landscaping - pretty. I agree with the other posters about too big rooms here, and, trust me, I have built lots myself once and tried to put everything on in (once upon a time I would have added all the musical instruments to your lot as well ) - but keep in mind that large lots can cause lag on many computers, and Sims can only do so much while on a outing to the beach.
Perhaps you should think about what Sims actually do on a beach - they swim, build sandcastles, dig for souvenirs, tan on towels, play catch or toss football - they really don't need a log roll and a soccer thing (soccer makes them drop dead tired, they won't be able to do anything else).
Also - how many of anything do they actually need? It is nice to have some things to do if it rains, but nobody goes to the beach to play pool?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 2:34 AM
Version 2.

I made the bathrooms and clothing shop smaller. Added a cafe. Removed the log roll and moved around the game room.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#10 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 8:17 AM
The games room looks great! The bathrooms and the clothing store are still too big. The clothing store doesn't need to be any bigger than the coffee shop that you have! It's only gonna be selling swimwear and beachwear. As I said before I would give it a proper inside cafe.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
The games room looks great! The bathrooms and the clothing store are still too big. The clothing store doesn't need to be any bigger than the coffee shop that you have! It's only gonna be selling swimwear and beachwear. As I said before I would give it a proper inside cafe.

Thanks for the feedback. How should I build the cafe? Should I swap the cafe and clothing store around and make a restaurant?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 10:12 AM
Some ideas for a cafe are to add chiller cases with game cakes and some counters and a till, like you get as a sit down coffee shop. Add a couple of snack food dispensers/ a food stand built in on another wall/ or a buffet table or two of those. More seating with some in the middle, you don't want every table to hug the wall. You can give food without it being a restaurant, but a restaurant is nice too. I would also change the floor in the clothes shop

You could split that space into three, a coffee shop, clothes shop and something else, perhaps some other kind of retail shop. Unless a lot has to be large always go smaller.

~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#13 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 10:41 PM
Jo has some good ideas.

Or just make it a regular restaurant with the host's podium, kitchen and table and chairs.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 6:49 AM
Added a restaurant. Made bathrooms smaller. Smaller clothing store.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 8:01 AM
That's better.

~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#16 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 9:08 AM
That's much better

Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 10:57 AM
And it is much more Sim-friendly