Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 7:14 AM
Default Weatherproofing Staggered Shed Gables
This is mostly a proof-of-concept I was knocking together as an experiment - I have no intention of sending anything with those edges out into the world, believe me! I got about halfway through it and was immensely pleased with myself for getting the shed roofs to work, as I can't count the number of times I've failed with them, but I still am not sure this house is weatherproof.

The rear parlor extends out one square below the rooms above it, and is covered by one shed; the lower bathroom extends out a little past that and is covered by the second shed; and the little sun porch extends out one square past that and is covered by the third shed. Though you can't see all of it in the upper floor plan, all of these sheds have been floored.

I'm concerned about the rooms below the sheds, and also about the rooms behind them - the tiny bedroom, the large rear bedroom, and the upstairs hall. I'm afraid that the overlap of the 3rd shed and the hipped roof will create problems for the rear bedroom, and that the front porch roof will create problems in the upper front rooms.

And while I'm at it - the three windows in the upstairs hall look as though they work, from inside, and like they were placed with move_objects (they were not) from the outside. What's up with that?

Obviously, there's no substitute for playtesting, but I thought perhaps someone here could tell at a glance whether everything was wrong, and possibly save me hours of fiddling.

And before you say it: This is in a through-Seasons AGS, so I can't alter the roof angle. (Would that change weatherproofing considerations?) And please ignore the obviously too-crowded rear bedroom. Since this is kinda-sorta-loosely based on the house we lived in when I was in first and second grade, I got a wild-hair to try to recreate the ambiance of my room, which was really a storage room, but which I claimed as my right so I wouldn't have to share space with my little sister. I'd never try to play it like that, or ask anybody else to, either. Anything like this I did for upload would be on a completely flat lot, and though I started to get carried away with furnishings and deco I haven't gotten to the fiddly bits like terrain paint. But feel free to point out any structural issues you spot. I can take it.
Screenshots

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 10:46 AM
I was going to mention roof angle but I understand what you're saying. As far as weather-proofing goes, I always cover the top of the top floor with a wooden floor (the Smitty distressed floorboards one) to make an attic. Flooring trumps roofs as far as weather-proofing goes. It has the additional advantage that you can see the ceilings properly if you have Freetime (is that the right EP for ceilings?). If you don't place a ceiling above the rooms on the top floor, you see the underside of the roof when you look up. It's something I exploit with buildings like churches but something I avoid with domestic buildings (usually anyway). I like your staggered roofs - makes the building look more interesting.

Windows behind roofs always behave like that unfortunately. It can be fixed from the user end but in the transfer between games, you will get blank windows there as the wall they are built into will show. You can't avoid that I think. You need to supply your downloaders with a warning or leave them out.

With the overlap roofs, they will stick into the rooms adjacent to them but people won't see them most of the time since they play with walls either fully or partly down. It's only when you level upwards and put the roof up that you'd notice it. They generally don't interfere with object placement and use-able-ness in my experience.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 10:49 AM
I do the same, put up flooring. I think it would be weatherproof without it anyway.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~