Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#19226 Old 27th May 2019 at 12:55 AM Last edited by Fyren5 : 27th May 2019 at 1:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I didn't "adopt" mine. I just merged the adult in (yes, with the Summerdream) and then had her move out again, leaving behind the baby. I could pretend she's a social worker or something.

Btw, it's also ridiculously easy to kidnap babies the same way. Move in and move out taking them with you. Yikes, right?! But, useful.

Okay, but what of the family tree? How do I make it so the child is Titania's and Oberon's adopted child? I can set the relations with Sim Blender and others but does that also set the family tree too? I have no idea how it works, never done it before. Thanks again! :D

New question: I don't know if I can actually do this but, if another household (playable) has a shop with a Servo for sale, can I send my Sim to their shop and buy it? Very dumb question, probably. :D
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#19227 Old 27th May 2019 at 1:14 AM
If you make an adult with a child in CAS, move them into a lot, then remove the adult (turn them into a townie, kill them,whatever) the social worker comes to take the child away.
When a playable child is taken, that child will sit in the adoption pool until someone wants to adopt, at which point, it will be adopted. It's last in, first out, so if you have two children on the lot, the one taken second will be adopted first and the one taken first will be adopted second.

At the time of adoption, family ties with the original parent will be severed, and the adoptive family will be added to the family tree.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#19228 Old 27th May 2019 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
If you make an adult with a child in CAS, move them into a lot, then remove the adult (turn them into a townie, kill them,whatever) the social worker comes to take the child away.
When a playable child is taken, that child will sit in the adoption pool until someone wants to adopt, at which point, it will be adopted. It's last in, first out, so if you have two children on the lot, the one taken second will be adopted first and the one taken first will be adopted second.

At the time of adoption, family ties with the original parent will be severed, and the adoptive family will be added to the family tree.

That was so sad! I just made the CAS adult into a townie and he was autonomously playing with the toddler. The Social Worker showed up and took the toddler away and the father got the negative memory! Luckily I'm only doing this once!!
Field Researcher
#19229 Old 27th May 2019 at 2:26 AM
Is there a mod to force the game to move in existing townies into empty apartments as opposed to creating new townies and moving them in?
Theorist
#19230 Old 27th May 2019 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zeroboys008
Is there a mod to force the game to move in existing townies into empty apartments as opposed to creating new townies and moving them in?

I think this mod by cyjon is supposed to do that. DESCRIPTION: Apartment neighbors and roommates will be chosen from the townie pool rather than social groups.

Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
New question: I don't know if I can actually do this but, if another household (playable) has a shop with a Servo for sale, can I send my Sim to their shop and buy it? Very dumb question, probably. :D

You should be able to purchase anything they have marked for sale.
Alchemist
#19231 Old 27th May 2019 at 11:44 AM

Okay, but what of the family tree? How do I make it so the child is Titania's and Oberon's adopted child? I can set the relations with Sim Blender and others but does that also set the family tree too? I have no idea how it works, never done it before. Thanks again! :D

I use Inge's cat to adopt them, because I usually want to keep the "real" family tie. If I wanted them to be part of the family tree, I'd probably change that in SimPE. I use BO's Kids Unattended so I don't have a real social worker come, so none of this happens in my game.

That was so sad! I just made the CAS adult into a townie and he was autonomously playing with the toddler. The Social Worker showed up and took the toddler away and the father got the negative memory! Luckily I'm only doing this once!!

Awwwww, that is too sad! At least I guess you can now have them adopt the kid that was abandoned on their doorstep. Probably even more realistic.
Test Subject
#19232 Old 27th May 2019 at 2:25 PM
If a sim with a broken face template has kids, does that mean their face templates will also be broken? Can that be fixed?
Theorist
#19233 Old 27th May 2019 at 4:04 PM
Is there some kind of grudge match between Sims of the social types? There's a Sim who just walks up to others and starts fighting. I thought maybe she was a mean Sim so I upped her niceness points to five in SimPE. Then I fixed the relationship with SimBlender with her and the other Sim to 100. She still walked up to her and started picking on her. Is there a way I can stop this nonsense?

Oh, and why in a neighborhood I created completely empty is it making all social-type Sims instead of regular old Townies? I thought the mod I linked above was supposed to stop them from generating but it's not.
Mad Poster
#19234 Old 27th May 2019 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SayLegendary
If a sim with a broken face template has kids, does that mean their face templates will also be broken? Can that be fixed?

Yes; and yes.

The first thing you need is a fix for the broken templates, found here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,9028.0.html

This will not fix existing sims or any children they have in the future, but sims made with the broken templates in future will be okay.

Now that your CAS templates are fixed, you'll need to apply them to the sim with the broken template and make the fix work in SimPE. Applying the fix to a sim whose face isn't much altered from the original template is fairly simple. You clone them into Bodyshop, choose the same template over again (age them up and down to prove to yourself that the fix is applied), and tweak the features till they look like themselves again. If you're fixing someone who's been substantially sculpted, or someone who inherited the broken template, however, this could be pretty fiddly. The only way I was able to get a proper fixed clone of a child of Joshua Ruben, for instance, was to breed FixedJoshua with a clone of his wife in CAS until I replicated the offspring I wanted. Obviously if you have to do anything like that you should do it in a throwaway neighborhood.

Once you have a Saved Sim who looks right at all ages, you need to copy their appearance onto the original. I understand you can do this with the plastic surgery career reward, but I have never tried it. I've never tried Alt Sim Surgery, either, but you'd need to download the SimPEplug-in, here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=3563.0

Neither of these actions makes the change genetic, so you still need SimPE, and you can follow this tutorial:
https://sleepytabby.tumblr.com/post...lly-change-your

And then the genes for the broken features should work properly.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#19235 Old 27th May 2019 at 4:52 PM
@Peni Griffin, thank you so much for explaining. Really appreciate it
The first thing you need is a fix for the broken templates, found here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,9028.0.html

Do I just put those files in the Downloads folder?
Mad Poster
#19236 Old 27th May 2019 at 5:40 PM
Yup, just like any mod. I'd put them in the same folder as the corruption-fixers like Nounlinkondelete.

Inventor
#19237 Old 27th May 2019 at 8:43 PM
It's been a while since I have done this, but I believe there is a more simple method of fixing broken template sims. I used this method to fix a couple of the Tricou teens from Downtown. Along with the template fixes, you'll need Christianlov's CPack Editor with DNA Fixer: https://app.box.com/s/7edv06dwut2z3tlv2mf6 (thanks to @RoxEllen1965 for keeping it linked in their sig).

To quote RoxEllen's poste here on how to use it: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...686#post5111686

Quote:
I put the files for this program in My Documents > EA Games. It seems to work well for me there. As always when trying out a new tool, test it on a disposable testing neighborhood first to get the hang of it. I recently got rid of some perma-frowns and a perma-smile in my Megahood and needed to fix them, so I used those sims in my example.

1. Use your favorite method of doing plastic surgery on one or more sims in a neighborhood. Save the game. Exit the game and run the Cpackeditor.

2. Click the "Tool" button in the upper left corner of the program under the menu to display all the tools.

3. Click the "DNA Fixer" tab on the far right to select it.

4. You'll see a button on the right side of the screen with three dots. Click that and browse to your chosen neighborhood. Select the Characters folder and click the "OK" button.

5. Click the "Fix Facial Structure" button on the lower left. The tool will now scan the chosen Characters file for discrepancies and will display a progress meter. When it's finished, the tool will display a dialog box that tells you how many character files it fixed and reminds you to keep a backup for awhile. The main program window will show a list of all the sims whose DNA was fixed, showing their names and package numbers.

If you need, the post I linked above has screenshots of the program. The change you make doesn't have to be very big at all. I got a successful result with just a one click difference on one facial feature using the Dr. Vu's Automated Cosmetic Surgeon career reward. As long as there is even a small difference, the program will pick up on it and work. In the case of the Tricou teens, they aged up into faces that matched their teen ones. Unfortunately, I never got around to them having kids, but I believe this achieves basically the same thing as Peni's method.
Mad Poster
#19238 Old 27th May 2019 at 11:40 PM
Do I need to download something special for custom fur colours to appear in my game? I downloaded this fur colour for cats but when I open the game, I end up with a cat with black fur and a bright yellow face.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Alchemist
#19239 Old 28th May 2019 at 12:47 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 28th May 2019 at 1:43 AM.

Can you explain this a bit more, at least which files in that thread are needed? There are quite a few files in that thread, and since I'm not sure what's broken, I don't understand the thread very well.
Mad Poster
#19240 Old 28th May 2019 at 1:00 AM
You just need argonarchfix.
The problem being addressed is that a couple of the templates weren't created with all ages in mind. This is why Goth Boy Tricou's nose suddenly blooms into a lumpy excrescence in the middle of his face when you send him to college, why Joshua and Martin Ruben's children are sometimes born with elf ears, and so on. When the game can't find the proper features, either on aging to elder or a baby turning toddler, it grabs features from other templates - frequently the "elf" template - and carries on with them.
Argonarchfix (Argon's Archetype fix) replaces the broken templates, but only for new sims. The genes for existing sims will remain confused, unless steps are undertaken to fix them as discussed above.

Mad Poster
#19241 Old 28th May 2019 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Can you explain this a bit more, at least which files in that thread are needed? There are quite a few files in that thread, and since I'm not sure what's broken, I don't understand the thread, very well.

argon_archfix.rar fixes the broken face templates for any future sims you make with those templates (existing sims and their offspring would need to be fixed via SimPE)
argon_alienarch.rar just makes the alien face (the one on the default PT) unhidden in CAS - doesn't actually fix anything.
That's my understanding of them, anyway.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#19242 Old 28th May 2019 at 1:09 AM
If you use default replacement face templates for 21 and 25, you don't need to worry about any of this because the game will no longer use the broken Maxis face templates.

If you DO use the Maxis face templates - there are two broken face templates (21 and 25) that come with the game. The ages are not linked properly, so when a sim made with one of those two templates ages up, they may get a different face or face parts. Jessica Picaso gets elf ears when she ages to elder. Hal Capp gets a whole different face when he ages to adult.

To fix this, you need Argon's patches for the unlinked templates. This is file argon_archfix.rar

Other files in the thread are:

Argon's stuff:
argon_alienarch.rar - unhides the Maxis alien face template so you can use that to make your own sims. This will NOT show up randomly on townies unless you use Terrakosmos's Randomize_AlienArch.rar file below.
AlienGMCD.rar - "Here are the extracted GMDCs for the Alien template for all you face replacers out there." (I don't know what this means.)
argon_arch.rar - this appears to be a new face template. This was a big deal back then because they were just learning how to make new face templates and that's what some of the discussion in this thread is about.

Terrakosmos's stuff:
Complete2125.rar - "... when I started fooling around with face replacements (Nov 05) I made full base templates (minus the absent toddler files, of course) for these two faces." Possibly default replacements for the two broken templates?
Randomize_26EelfArch.rar - townifies the elf face template so that townies can spawn with it
Randomize_AlienArch.rar - townifies the alien face template so that townies can spawn with it
Alchemist
#19243 Old 28th May 2019 at 1:48 AM
Thank you, guys! That was super helpful. I've read that thread a couple times, but there was just too much going on for me to get it without a synopsis. Thanks!
Mad Poster
#19244 Old 28th May 2019 at 5:05 PM
Where do I ask for feedback for lot design? And a vague one, what can help me with improving building skills?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#19245 Old 28th May 2019 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Where do I ask for feedback for lot design? And a vague one, what can help me with improving building skills?

Try the Creator Feedback Forum. https://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=611
Undead Molten Llama
#19246 Old 28th May 2019 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
And a vague one, what can help me with improving building skills?

The piece of advice I give most often is to recreate real buildings as practice. Your own house, your friends' houses, houses you can find on the sites online that sell architectural drawings for real houses that people can build. Such sites all have at least floor plan drawings and a render of the front of the house; often there are elevation drawings and more pictures of both the interior and exterior, too. Start with easy houses with simple roofs (since roofs are the hardest thing to build in the game) and no split levels, which require the use of the constrainfloorelevation (CFE) cheat to build in-game, and that has a bit of a learning curve to it. Gradually try to reproduce designs of more complexity. Build a house on foundation with an attached garage -- the most basic of "split levels" -- to start to learn how to use CFE. (I did a detailed written tute with pics here , but if video tutes are better for you, I'm sure there are plenty on Youtube.) Play test what you build so that you come to better understand how the game routes Sims, which isn't always the way you think it will, and it can mess up the "flow" of your house.

If you do that for a while, you not only get a better handle on the game's building tools and how Sims interact with their house, but you get a feel for how real buildings are put together. There's a logic to it that, when you understand it, makes it much easier to make your own designs in the game that look good AND that play well.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#19247 Old 28th May 2019 at 5:39 PM
You can also read up on principles of design and architectural styles, and see how you can translate that into the game. Getting useful feedback in anything is always a crap shoot, because you can't force people to have opinions or to share them and nobody else is as interested in your learning curve as you are, but nobody's very fussy about enforcing the "intended for upload" criterion in the "creator feedback" forum (after all, even people who were intending to upload sometimes never get to it, or scrap the project as hopeless or redundant in favor of a Better Idea; that's the nature of the beast). When you get stuck on a specific problem there's always this thread and the Help section. The most useful feedback, however, will come from your sims. They're the final word on whether a lot is playable.

As always, the primary way to improve your skill is just to exercise it a lot. Just build. Experiment. Make a completely flat neighborhood with lots of roads and build entire subdivisions worth of castles, Roman villas, prehistoric roundhouses, Craftsman bungalows, McMansions, Swiss chalets, Moomin houses, Pueblo cliff dwellings, starter houses designed for expansion, "homeless" lots, businesses, dormitories, functional schools, anything and everything that crosses your mind or that you can find plans for, and just fill it up. You won't turn into Zarathustra, but you'll discover unsuspected strengths, figure out your own techniques, and be able to see yourself improve.

Mad Poster
#19248 Old 28th May 2019 at 5:47 PM
The forum Charity links to has been very helpful to me when I started building and I still use it from time to time.

I learned most of what I know by taking part in building contests - it may be worth going over the closed contests and try to build some of the rounds there as well.

Enjoy it, that is the most important part!
Theorist
#19249 Old 28th May 2019 at 6:41 PM
When it comes to building I totally stay away from CFE and it's not because I don't want to get all fiddly (there are so many things I wish I could do without it). It's because something built with it can't be easily modified when necessary. But yeah, start small with places you know well and see how those translate into playing within the game. Once I built the house my aunt and uncle lived in when I was a child and it made a wonderful Sim house, probably because it was a post-war design with a great floor plan. My own house is great turned into a Sim dwelling but it's a manufactured home with a simple floor plan and those always work well. On the other hand a lot of the houses I've seen built over the past quarter of a century don't translate well to Sim homes because the floor plans are fairly cobbled up so in those cases I prefer to keep the outside more like it would be in real life but revamp what the inside would be to make it more playable.

Ultimately one of the best things about a Sim house will be the roof and those can be a pain. I would recommend learning a few things about real roof design. I've built them differently for the climate of the neighborhoods the houses would be in. A cold climate with snow usually has steeper roof pitches. Generally roofs don't have many valleys because of water getting trapped in those places. Architecture is a fascinating subject because the creative aspect has to be paired with sensibility.
Lab Assistant
#19250 Old 28th May 2019 at 8:38 PM Last edited by bulbash : 29th May 2019 at 2:49 AM.
Who could help with such a stupid question? I've found a version of Sunset Valley for TS2 and downloaded an empty version. I used Mootilda's tutorial to copy the neighborhood and LotCompressor to compress all the lots and remove all Sim references. I realized that one of the lots (Summer Hill Springs) still had them after running LotCompressor, so I would have to open the file and remove them myself. Later, I figured why LotCompressor didn't work: in fact, there is another lot file for the same lot, and apparently they use the same lot definition when looking in the neighborhood file. So, is it safe to delete that copy (It seems like the file is inactive, and I don't know what it's doing in the neighborhood)?
Page 770 of 1346