Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#19251 Old 29th May 2019 at 2:57 AM
Can Sims (not playable) not use the All-In-One Bathroom by Veranka on Community Lots autonomously? A Sim just showed a red bubble of a toilet and left the lot. That's the whole reason why I made every lot have an All-In-One Bathroom. LOL.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19252 Old 29th May 2019 at 3:13 AM
^They can use it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#19253 Old 29th May 2019 at 3:31 AM
Hmmm.. I wonder why they're not using them. My playable Sim uses them just fine but I've yet to see any of the visiting Sims use them. If it continues, I'll check through my Mods folder. Thanks Jo! :D
Alchemist
#19254 Old 29th May 2019 at 7:33 PM
Is it possible to put up a fence and leave out the posts? For example, I put up a fence and had to remove a section of it, so the game automatically applied posts to the new edges, then the posts stayed when I replaced the missing part of the fence. Is there a way around that besides tearing down the entire fence?
Mad Poster
#19255 Old 29th May 2019 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Hmmm.. I wonder why they're not using them. My playable Sim uses them just fine but I've yet to see any of the visiting Sims use them. If it continues, I'll check through my Mods folder. Thanks Jo! :D

Maybe he's just bathroom shy

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#19256 Old 29th May 2019 at 10:18 PM
Okay, this is super frustrating. I remembered the Download Organizer is a thing. I know I have some orphan files so I wanted to use it to help me isolate them. The trouble is, it's claiming that over 4,000 of my CC files are orphans. I know I have some so how in the world am I supposed to find them in this mess?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19257 Old 29th May 2019 at 11:23 PM
Do you have a lot of defaults? That could be what it is seeing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#19258 Old 30th May 2019 at 12:02 AM
Do you mean default replacements? If that's it, then no. These are a lot of textures, mostly both of game and CC mesh objects and I know most of them work in my game. I'm trying to locate the textures I've ended up with from downloading things where sometimes not all meshes were included and I never managed to track them down.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19259 Old 30th May 2019 at 12:27 AM
That is a lot of files, so whatever it's reading it sounds wrong. You could move them all out to a folder on your desktop as a test and see what it thinks are orphans.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#19260 Old 30th May 2019 at 12:39 AM Last edited by Misty_2004 : 30th May 2019 at 12:50 AM.
My organizational system is pretty solid so I should be able to move out the game retextures and run it just with the new mesh stuff and see what happens. On the description of the program there was a blurb about how if it showed a really high number of orphans they probably really weren't orphans. This, of course, leads me to get all sarcastic and stuff with things like, "Ya think?" Naturally there wasn't any hint as to what to do about a problem like that Haha

Oh my goodness, I just thought of something. Is there any way to recategorize objects to put them into that new roof category that came with one of the expansion packs? SimCat apparently never got updated with that which would have made it super easy but I'm so tired of them cluttering my deco categories.
Forum Resident
#19261 Old 30th May 2019 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
Okay, this is super frustrating. I remembered the Download Organizer is a thing. I know I have some orphan files so I wanted to use it to help me isolate them. The trouble is, it's claiming that over 4,000 of my CC files are orphans. I know I have some so how in the world am I supposed to find them in this mess?

Simmergirl (now closed) had a program, Sims Explorer, which is the only Sims2 program I ever found which displays the used mesh name for clothing recolors. And if it doesn't find the mesh, it displays MISSING MESH. It also allows you to search your files for missing meshes as well. There are other functions it has but I use it primarily just to identify meshes.

I did a quick search for "Sims Explorer" and found it is still available here. https://windows.podnova.com/software/970999.htm . I downloaded, scanned (my Norton said it was safe), and ran the setup and it does appear to be a good install file.

It is about 10 years old so I don't know how well it works with Win10. It does run on my Win7, although if I do too much with it at one time or scan large folders, it tends to lock up and I have to restart it. So it can be a bit temperamental but it has allowed me to identify which meshes different items use. (See attached screenshot for an example.)
Screenshots

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Theorist
#19262 Old 30th May 2019 at 2:37 PM Last edited by Misty_2004 : 30th May 2019 at 3:43 PM.
@HobbesED bless your heart! I don't think I ever even heard of that one. I have Win7 so no worries there Thank you for going the extra miles and running it down and checking it. I'm pretty sure I have at least a couple of missing clothing meshes since I decided to toss some stuff the other day and plum forgot that getting rid of the textures in-game leaves the meshes behind. My Downloads folder isn't huge, about 4 gigs, and I'm liking that I can get the game loaded in the length of time it takes me to go to the bathroom and I want to keep it that way. Haha

Now for a REALLY stupid question: where does it install? I ran the installer, program is running as it should, CCleaner shows me it's installed, but for the life of me I can't figure out where. I'm no stranger to hunting down files but this one is eluding me.
Field Researcher
#19263 Old 30th May 2019 at 5:47 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong in editing an existing apartment. I've reread and tried these exact instructions several times now (https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_g...ting_apartment), but when I try to move in a sim. The second floor is out of bounds! I've tested it with just even removing one fireplace and the issue still occurs. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the lot itself, because when I download it fresh off of here as it is, it works fine. I just wanted to make small edits to it. Oh poo.
Mad Poster
#19264 Old 30th May 2019 at 6:01 PM
Show us a nice, clear, overhead picture of your edits (walls up, so we can see details of the portals and boundaries) and I bet somebody'll spot it. Sometimes it's something as simple as using a custom item that dates from before AL, or using the wrong Maxis fence.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#19265 Old 30th May 2019 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Show us a nice, clear, overhead picture of your edits (walls up, so we can see details of the portals and boundaries) and I bet somebody'll spot it. Sometimes it's something as simple as using a custom item that dates from before AL, or using the wrong Maxis fence.

I'll have to remake it since I didn't save after each failed attempt. But even just literally removing one fireplace that came with the lot already (literally no other edits), it still gave me the error

I'll work on redoing my full, ideal edits, though to show ya!
Alchemist
#19266 Old 30th May 2019 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheDraizeTrain
I'll have to remake it since I didn't save after each failed attempt. But even just literally removing one fireplace that came with the lot already (literally no other edits), it still gave me the error

I'll work on redoing my full, ideal edits, though to show ya!

Which lot is it? And how are you editing it?
Forum Resident
#19267 Old 30th May 2019 at 6:17 PM Last edited by HobbesED : 30th May 2019 at 6:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
@HobbesED bless your heart! I don't think I ever even heard of that one. I have Win7 so no worries there Thank you for going the extra miles and running it down and checking it. I'm pretty sure I have at least a couple of missing clothing meshes since I decided to toss some stuff the other day and plum forgot that getting rid of the textures in-game leaves the meshes behind. My Downloads folder isn't huge, about 4 gigs, and I'm liking that I can get the game loaded in the length of time it takes me to go to the bathroom and I want to keep it that way. Haha

Now for a REALLY stupid question: where does it install? I ran the installer, program is running as it should, CCleaner shows me it's installed, but for the life of me I can't figure out where. I'm no stranger to hunting down files but this one is eluding me.

It's a mystery to me as well.
For me, it installed a folder with just one xml file at C:\Users\HomeUser\Documents\EA Games\Simmergirl.
And the desktop shortcut it created is an application type I haven't seen before... "C:\Users\HomeUser\Desktop\Sims Explorer.appref-ms" which indicates under properties that it is a "ClickOnce Application Reference". I've searched high and low on my computer for an exe file or something for it but haven't discovered one. So I'm at a loss as to how it actually runs although I haven't tried investigating what an .appref-ms file extension is.

EDIT: So your question spurred me to do a quick search. appref-ms files are apparently used by an obscure Microsoft product called ClickOnce which might be Win7 unique. A couple of links I found.
https://www.solvusoft.com/en/file-e...sion-appref-ms/
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...ew?view=vs-2015

It looks way too complicated for me... LOL. I found where SimsExplorer is installed for me by running it, then starting Task Manager, finding the SimsExplorer process, right clicking on it and then selecting "Open File Location". It installed in C:\Users\HomeUser\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\ and then some seemingly random number and letter location.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Field Researcher
#19268 Old 30th May 2019 at 6:36 PM Last edited by TheDraizeTrain : 30th May 2019 at 6:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Which lot is it? And how are you editing it?

It's the Victoria Terrace Apartments (https://modthesims.info/d/472256/vi...apartments.html).

My exact steps are:

1. Place lot
2. Enter unoccupied lot
3. Ctrl+Shift+C
4. Type in changelotzoning residential
5. Save and exit
6 Re-enter lot (now residential)
7. Literally only delete one fireplace to test the issue (I would normally, yes, like to delete/add some walls)
8. Ctrl+Shift+C
9. Type in changelotzoning apartmentbase
10. Save and exit
11. Have a sim move into apartment.
12. Can immediately see furnished second floor in each apartment (not a good sign)
13. Proceed to have sim rent an apartment anyway
14. Try to place new item they bought on second floor
15. Fail as "location out of bounds" error appears
16. Double check that they can in fact place new object on first floor. (they can)
17. Die a little inside each time it fails.

I originally did my desired edits. Failed. Thought ok, maybe no add/removing walls? Still failed. Maybe too many edits and only delete stuff?? Nope. So yeah, eventually just tried to remove one thing only! IDK

edit: I must be doing something wrong with the cheat itself because I just changed the zoning again WITHOUT any edits at all and it still failed.
Theorist
#19269 Old 30th May 2019 at 6:54 PM Last edited by Misty_2004 : 30th May 2019 at 11:06 PM.
@HobbesED, oh my gosh, there it is! I never even thought to check there, was looking all over my main hard-drive for it. It didn't make a desktop shortcut for me which is why I was trying to find it. I'm sad it doesn't work for objects as well. Oh wait, it does--at least on some, and I can see floor and wall files too! (Oh, also, tip for anyone else who might not know: a meshless clothing texture shows its name in red text. Although it will show a lot of textures for other things it doesn't know when an object needs a custom mesh.) I think I need new glasses too. I don't believe I've ever seen an .xml as an executable file either. I'm familiar enough with that format in knowing that's the file type that are put into mods for TS3 but other than that I'm clueless. But if it works....

I put everything outside the Downloads folder except for the fashion stuff and ran the Downloads Organizer on just that. By using Sims Explorer I was able to find the false positives the Organizer was giving me, the few meshes with no textures, and the single texture with no mesh. Once I got what appears to have been the true orphans out of the way the false positives stopped. I always try to make good use of in-game meshes and I'm terribly picky about things, in that textures need to match EA's, etc. and some of the stuff in there I've had since the game was new and it hasn't been available for download anywhere since shortly thereafter.
Alchemist
#19270 Old 30th May 2019 at 7:30 PM
It's the Victoria Terrace Apartments (https://modthesims.info/d/472256/vi...apartments.html).

My exact steps are:

1. Place lot
2. Enter unoccupied lot
3. Ctrl+Shift+C
I originally did my desired edits. Failed. Thought ok, maybe no add/removing walls? Still failed. Maybe too many edits and only delete stuff?? Nope. So yeah, eventually just tried to remove one thing only! IDK

edit: I must be doing something wrong with the cheat itself because I just changed the zoning again WITHOUT any edits at all and it still failed.

Hmmm, I don't know, but I don't think it's you. I tested, cuz I was curious, and it acts weird. I can move a sim in and s/he can walk right up to the penthouse and start messing with the stereo, but if I try to put a new object there, right where the sim is, it won't show at all much less place, out of bounds, as you said. But even weirder, if I turn on apt tools and/or moveobjects, I can place objects sometimes, but not always, on some floors, but not consistently. I can move a plant, then not. Move a sim, then not. It'll let me for a while, then stop. And, doesn't seem to pay attention to those cheats being on or off. It's weird. There's a lot of CC. I would guess something is messing it up, but I turned on testing and it didn't throw an error, so IDK. Btw, I tested in an empty test hood with just the test sim and no other CC except the lot.
Field Researcher
#19271 Old 30th May 2019 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Hmmm, I don't know, but I don't think it's you. I tested, cuz I was curious, and it acts weird. I can move a sim in and s/he can walk right up to the penthouse and start messing with the stereo, but if I try to put a new object there, right where the sim is, it won't show at all much less place, out of bounds, as you said. But even weirder, if I turn on apt tools and/or moveobjects, I can place objects sometimes, but not always, on some floors, but not consistently. I can move a plant, then not. Move a sim, then not. It'll let me for a while, then stop. And, doesn't seem to pay attention to those cheats being on or off. It's weird. There's a lot of CC. I would guess something is messing it up, but I turned on testing and it didn't throw an error, so IDK. Btw, I tested in an empty test hood with just the test sim and no other CC except the lot.

Oh wow, I REALLY appreciate you doing that! Thanks so much for the bit of reassurance that I'm not totally crazy Yeah, I had just tested trying to edit another apartment and didn't have any issues with that one.

I guess I'd have to recreate it? (If I really wanted to, might just fine something else!) Or is it possible when I download it with the Sim2Pack Clean Installer that I uncheck all CC? And then, replace the missing pieces with other things?? Lol Idk also, just throwing it out there.
Theorist
#19272 Old 30th May 2019 at 7:51 PM
Does it snow on Beach Lots? And if so what parts of the lot get covered in snow?
I'm using a no-snow mod which I don't really wanna remove.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#19273 Old 30th May 2019 at 7:54 PM
Can outgoing sims actually use the bathroom without privacy even when somebody is them (excluding romantic partner)? If so, what's their points must be?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Alchemist
#19274 Old 30th May 2019 at 7:56 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 30th May 2019 at 8:40 PM.
Oh wow, I REALLY appreciate you doing that! Thanks so much for the bit of reassurance that I'm not totally crazy Yeah, I had just tested trying to edit another apartment and didn't have any issues with that one.

I guess I'd have to recreate it? (If I really wanted to, might just fine something else!) Or is it possible when I download it with the Sim2Pack Clean Installer that I uncheck all CC? And then, replace the missing pieces with other things?? Lol Idk also, just throwing it out there.

If I really wanted it, that's what I'd try, a test with no CC. You could then do a little 50/50 with the install, unchecking some of it, if none works. EDIT: I tested without CC and it still did the same thing. Maybe without any furniture at all? IDK. Smart people will be along soon with better ideas.
Theorist
#19275 Old 30th May 2019 at 8:58 PM Last edited by CaliBrat : 30th May 2019 at 11:57 PM.
It's the Victoria Terrace Apartments (https://modthesims.info/d/472256/vi...apartments.html)

Maybe talk w/ @Karen Lorraine and see if she might know. Since she built it she might have a better idea of what's goin on and how to help ya:D
Page 771 of 1345