Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 11:47 PM
Default Has Anybody already started making Custom Traits yet?
Just a curious thought...

Seeing as the game will no longer be developed by EA, has any modder already started delving into making custom traits for the game yet?

I'm just wondering seeing as the game does have very few traits we can choose from, even if you do have all EPs installed.

I'd really want to add these kinds of traits to a SIM if it would become possible someday...

"Redneck" or "Hick"
"Gangsta"
"Manchild"
"Jackass" - as in an a*hole.
"Twat"
"Licentious" - hornball from "SIMs Medieval"
"Jew or as Eric Cartman would write it, Joo"
"Stoner"
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 11:56 PM
Scholar
#3 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 1:53 AM
I would LOVE it if some someone who is better at modding than me (example: almost everyone) would make the following traits:

Redneck
Manchild (has anyone made a Chris-Chan Sim yet? I DEMAND SONICHU CC)
Weeaboo (always wants to talk about anime, has the option to play anime styled dating games on the computer/game system, reads manga)
Gangsta
Goth (loves cemeteries, happily talks about death and morbid things with a big smile on their faces, wants to meet the Grim Reaper, might not get along well with "preps")
Emo (always sort of sad, longingly talks about death and despair)
Prep (OMG PINK. LETS TALK ABOUT MAKEUP AND GUYS AND ACCUSE PEOPLE OF HAVING CRAPPY FASHION SENSE)

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Forum Resident
#4 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 2:47 AM
Goths and Preps? Enoby Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way, is that you?

In all seriousness, I feel like a lot of the stuff people have suggested as traits are more like social identities than character traits. Putting them in the game as traits wouldn't work, in my opinion. I know the social groups from UL weren't well-integrated, but it would make more sense to have those be groups that characters could join, and then have traits that would make it easier/harder to gain influence with those groups. For example, instead of having a 'Goth,' trait, you could have a 'Morbid' trait that enables some of those same interactions.

There's already a Childish trait and a Brooding trait which sort of cover the Manchild and Emo traits. Not sure how you'd integrate a lot of the other stuff, to be honest. Like, I don't associate specific behaviors with being a redneck, it's more lifestyle stuff, like having a car up on blocks in your yard or having a bunch of half-wild dogs to terrorize the neighborhood children.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Scholar
#5 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mammal
Goths and Preps? Enoby Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way, is that you?

No, but I did make a Sim of her once.

I really didn't think it through all that well, but yes, 'Morbid' trait makes more sense than 'Goth'.

As someone who has grown up around rednecks and currently lives with a self proclaimed "redneck" (he's really a poser and copies everything he heard and saw on Blue Collar Comedy,) I can confirm that 'Redneck' is both a lifestyle and an entire trait on its own. I suppose for 'Redneck' they'd have interactions like "Talk about hunting," "Impersonate Larry The Cable Guy," "Challenge sim to spitting contest," "Let out a rebel yell," etc. If you were to make a redneck sim using multiple traits, you'd need more than the five trait limit. Hence the 'Redneck' trait. Takes care of everything in one little trait. :D

Forum Resident
#6 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:06 AM
Ha, makes sense. I live too far north to have more than a passing familiarity with rednecks. I mean, I have an uncle who spits his chaw into Mountain Dew cans, but I see him maybe once a year.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Space Pony
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 2:36 PM
If anyone got offended with my "Jew" crack, I apologize. I don't have anything against Jews, it's just I'm a huge "South Park" fan & we all know how much "Eric Cartman" hates Jews

By calling "Jew" as a trait, what I meant is how Cartman sees what Jews are, always thinking of money and being a no good back stabber like Judas who sells his friends out for money. Cartman also cites Jews as having no rhythm (on the Rain Forest episode). As well as being such a goodie two shoes in "Kyle".

BTW, being "Childish" is totally different from being a "man child". For example, are "Bronies" childish just because they are into a TV show for little girls?

Even the in game description for the "Childish" trait doesn't sound like it fits the bill for a "man child":

"Childish Sims find it difficult to 'act their age'. They love playing with children's toys, see things through the eyes of a child and need to be constantly entertained."

Again as an example Bronies definitely don't see things in the eyes of a child.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CRV13
Again as an example Bronies definitely don't see things in the eyes of a child.

Clopping.

Space Pony
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:15 PM
Some "Bronies" even go as far as fantasizing of making out with ponies, do children do that? I mean grown men wanting to "woohoo" with fictional ponies. Beastiality aside, but wanting to do it with non existent animals is too much.

And don't even get me started with "Weeaboos" and "Furries".
Scholar
#10 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 4:06 PM
My friends consider me a "female Brony" (guess I'm not girly enough to be a Pegasister?) and while I wear the title with pride, I can't help but be absolutely disgusted with 95% of the bro Bronies I've run into. My dad thinks Trekkies (which I am) are bad but Jesus, hardcore Bronies... *shudders*

Playing as a 'Weeaboo' 'Manchild' would be funny as fuck, but 'Furry' is just downright disturbing. I don't want a "yiff" interaction in place of "woohoo."

Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 4:56 PM
If anyone got offended with my "Jew" crack, I apologize. I don't have anything against Jews, it's just I'm a huge "South Park" fan & we all know how much "Eric Cartman" hates Jews

By calling "Jew" as a trait, what I meant is how Cartman sees what Jews are, always thinking of money and being a no good back stabber like Judas who sells his friends out for money. Cartman also cites Jews as having no rhythm (on the Rain Forest episode). As well as being such a goodie two shoes in "Kyle".

Great apology /s I'm sorry I read this thread because now I feel like puking.
dodgy builder
#12 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 5:25 PM
All these names! ... oh I think I see stars, and so many of them ... bump ... oh I think I fainted
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IAmDeath
No, but I did make a Sim of her once.

So did I. Which traits did you use?

I don't want a "yiff" interaction in place of "woohoo."

Actually, only a small part of furry culture is interested in that. The vast majority are people who just like the concept, draw humanoid animals for fun, etc.

Not sure how that would work as a sims trait, though. You get a positive moodlet whenever the animals glitch?
Space Pony
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 7:17 PM
Playing as a 'Weeaboo' 'Manchild' would be funny as fuck, but 'Furry' is just downright disturbing. I don't want a "yiff" interaction in place of "woohoo."

For a weeaboo "woohoo" would be replaced by "Hentai" or for the subtle approach "Let's Gattai~!" :D
Space Pony
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 11:11 PM
"Pervert", "Bigot" & "Racist" are three other negative traits that fall under the "I don't like that" or "keep that crap away from my game" category that the people who disliked my posts would hate me for but I absolutely would want to be a part of my game experience. I mean I get my fair share of haters for being gay and differently abled IRL already (for being a citizen of a back water country) and not having that kind of treatment in game is great and all but I do want my game to be realistic and as bigotry & hatred is a fact of "real life" so too would I want it to be a part of the game
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 11:18 PM
On the one hand, I don't want perverts, bigots, and racists in my game. On the other, I can kill sims in a variety of nasty ways. I'll have to think about it.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#17 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 11:45 PM
I think racism in The SIMs would be more like "Occult State hatred" in that Race how it is perceived in The SIMs world would be based on occult life state instead of based on ethnicity.

So things like "Hates Vampires" &/or "Hates Werewolves" ala "Twilight" would make sense

Incidentally on this video I did for my SIMs' gay wedding, everyone seems to be player hating on the green skinned fairy, so yeah SIMs Racism FTW~!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYA08Ksvf1M
Test Subject
#18 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 4:04 AM
I wish there was a mischievous trait. I know there's Evil and Mean-Spirited. But with evil I can't choose the Good trait and I don't want my sim to pick fights and accuse other sims' mothers of being llamas. I just want a sim that likes to play pranks haha. I guess the closest I have right now though is Evil + Friendly combo. Meh :lol.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 7:34 AM
If anyone got offended with my "Jew" crack, I apologize. I don't have anything against Jews...

I would like for my self-Sim to be able to be Jewish. But that's not a "trait". In fact, it would be quite a difficult thing to qualify for, even if she were entirely human.

One day, when the successors or descendents of Sims can plausibly claim to be people rather than golems, they might invite re-consideration of this question. But I do not think the question will need to be taken up by any rabbi who's alive today.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
I would like for my self-Sim to be able to be Jewish. But that's not a "trait".

If you read my post in its entirety you'd know that I based my idea of a Jewish trait from what Eric Cartman from "South Park" believes is what being Jewish is about.

You folks are aware of what "South Park" is right? If not, here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_park
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 8:27 AM
Thank you. I actually did know that you were drawing from someone else's offensive caricature. I just wondered whether, having proposed a Jewish "trait" for Sims, you'd be open to considering Jews in any role other than an offensive caricature.
Alchemist
#22 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 8:47 AM
Not many people are familiar to South Park reference. It would be more understandable if the trait name would be like "Kyle Broflovski-like" or something.

Just call me Nikel
Space Pony
Original Poster
#23 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
Thank you. I actually did know that you were drawing from someone else's offensive caricature. I just wondered whether, having proposed a Jewish "trait" for Sims, you'd be open to considering Jews in any role other than an offensive caricature.

In my own experience I find that people who get offended by "South Park" don't have the maturity to enjoy what the show is actually about. A satirical insight to "middle America". I'm not American & there are episodes I do not get for example the episode that talked about "Honey Boo Boo" or the one about "Snooky" but a lot of it I do get because most of the time the show talks about Socio-Political issues like for example the episode that talked about the recession in America or the episode where it talked about why Religion should be discussed in cartoons and other media. I may not be American but I get these issues because they are relevant issues as well in my country. I really wished South Park was aired here because it deals with mature issues but people here are still immature to admit that cartoons are not just for kids anymore. They allow Dragon Ball to be aired here despite the fact that the show is too violent, but they ban South Park because of the language & adult subject matter it tackles.

Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
Not many people are familiar to South Park reference. It would be more understandable if the trait name would be like "Kyle Broflovski-like" or something.

If I only knew how to make mods I'd rename the "Unlucky" trait to the "Kenny McCormick" trait, just for some laughs :D
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 11:15 AM
In my own experience I find that people who get offended by "South Park" don't have the maturity to enjoy what the show is actually about. A satirical insight to "middle America". I'm not American & there are episodes I do not get for example the episode that talked about "Honey Boo Boo" or the one about "Snooky" but a lot of it I do get because most of the time the show talks about Socio-Political issues like for example the episode that talked about the recession in America or the episode where it talked about why Religion should be discussed in cartoons and other media. I may not be American but I get these issues because they are relevant issues as well in my country. I really wished South Park was aired here because it deals with mature issues but people here are still immature to admit that cartoons are not just for kids anymore. They allow Dragon Ball to be aired here despite the fact that the show is too violent, but they ban South Park because of the language & adult subject matter it tackles.

Let's.... not. I love South Park and am not offended by it because it's clearly satire. Whatever reason you have for wanting a "Jewish trait" in your game is irrelevant. The fact is that no single Jew, Christian, Muslim or Hindu is the same. They don't act the same, they don't look the same, they don't practice their faith the same. I'm not sure exactly how Judaism is constructed (not being Jewish myself) but within Christianity alone you've got Catholics, Lutherans, Calvinists, Baptists and Orthodox to name a few. And even they don't all have the same views. There's no Christian trait and no Baptist trait, just like there's not Muslim trait or a Jewish trait. Implying that there is such a thing (and trying to define what such a trait might contain) is offensive. Maturity or 'sense of humor' has nothing to do with it.

Also, double offensive points for saying others aren't mature enough to understand your "sense of humor", when that's really just masking some very distorted views on Judaism.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#25 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 2:12 PM
@summerstruck: As I said, I have nothing against Jews and Judaism as a whole and in fact I don't even know any Jews IRL as there are no Jews here in my country (that I know of). We do have a lot of Muslims here as Islam is the 2nd biggest religion here. And I do know of several Muslims who are very much into South Park as well.

Okay just for the sake of ending a nasty argument let me just rephrase my Jew Trait idea to a Kyle Broflovsky trait idea.
Page 1 of 3