Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 12:51 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Pets, Free Time
Default Universities Will Not Clean Up
Hello.

This is such a great website. I've been using it since TS2 was new, but never participated before. I don't know if this counts as "participating." I'm guessing no.

I am trying to create dormie-free universities, and then create the dormies myself using Oepu's face templates. I have Uni, Pets and FT installed, in that order, and patched.

What I've done:

Downloaded the templates, put them into the downloads folder. Oepu had them organized in subfolders, and they were not showing up in-game, so I moved them to their umbrella folder. They show up. Great. I also downloaded a set of default name replacements from this website, and put them in the appropriate folder.

Next, I got the templates for cleaned out neighborhoods -- no townies or NPCs, but including the Maxis-made and fleshed-out Sims. I followed the directions:
1) download appropriate files.
2) unzip, et c.
3) clean out neighborhood's "characters" folders and replace the n00x_neighborhood.packages with that of the downloads'

Then I replaced the neighborhoods I'd been playing with (Glad to see them go. I'd been killing all the dormies by hand. Surprisingly boring work) with the new townie-free neighborhood templates. When I went back into TS2, sure enough, Pleasantview was reset, with no attached Universities! I created a new university, and clicked "send sims to college"... no townies on the list! YES! (Ivy Copur[s], RIP.) But when I went into one of the Maxis lots, and had a sim check the college directory...sure enough, the dormies were as abundant as usual. With names varied enough that I knew they were using the default NAME replacements I had downloaded...but still the ugly Maxis faces.

NEXT, I downloaded nodormieregen.package, put it in the downloads folder of course. Reset the neighborhood again, recreated the University. Still a bunch of dormies -- different ones, but again, same Maxis faces.

I tried creating a bunch of townies with the townie creator boolprop object. Slow going, but they utilized the templates. But, without getting rid of all the other dormies, the new ones were just drops in a really ugly bucket.

I have also tried this with a different set of face templates.

Possible problems
1) Most likely: I'm doing something wrong or overlooking something. BUT WHAT???
2) Nodormieregen.package does not work for my set of EPs -- Uni, Pets, FT.
3) I didn't do the neighborhood template replacement for the Free Time neighborhood, as I'm not using that just yet. Logically, it shouldn't have anything to do with it. The university neighborhoods I'm creating aren't linked to it.
4) Something else I don't understand or am missing.

I would really appreciate any help people can give me. I did a search for "dormie" and "townie" and their plurals on the boards here before I wrote this, got no results, and assumed this wouldn't be a duplicate for that reason. If I am wrong, I apologize. Please direct me to the other post.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 4:01 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 16th Sep 2012 at 4:11 AM.
First, I'm concerned that you are cleaning out the Characters folder with a clean template. You can delete the Characters folder for empty templates, because the new neighborhood package has had all of the characters safely removed. However, clean templates should come with their own Characters folder and you mustn't delete any of those character files. I can't get the tutorial link to work right now, but you should be aware that there is a big difference between installing clean and empty templates; if you incorrectly delete characters which are still in a neighborhood package, you will corrupt your neighborhood.

Second, did you replace each of the university templates with their corresponding empty or clean template? If not, then you will get the dormies which ship with those universities. If you are creating your own custom university, you will still need the empty university templates to avoid excess dormies.

Which version of nodormieregen did you download? If FT is your latest EP, you should be downing the FT version. However, if you have the Store Edition or the Mansion and Garden Stuff Pack, then you'll probably need the AL version of the mod (depending upon whether your Store Edition is updated). Along with nodormieregen, you'll probably also want nossrespawn.