Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 7:00 PM
Default creating neighborhoods - help needed!
Hello all!

I have just begun with creating worlds using simcity 4. I'm not good at it yet, and my first attempts in making a neighbourhood turned out disasterous.
There is something else i'd like to do though

Currently i'm playing in this neighborhood: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=573659 and i love it, say for 1 thing: i like more roads! So is there a way to upload the sc4 file from this mod to simcity 4, to slightly edit it? I will not re-upload it but just use at for my own purpose. But am i allowed to do this? I don't want to give the impression that i'm stealing someone elses work. But i love this neighborhood and just want to extend it a bit.

Any help is appreciated!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 7:24 PM
95MMAA is an active member and can be contacted directly via PM or in the comments section. He goes off for long stretches due to real life considerations, but I've seen him around recently so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

He's very nice and may well be able to help you figure out what went wrong with your first attempt, too, if you ask him nicely.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 8:05 PM
You can edit the terrain quite easily by importing it into SC4.
Drop the .sc4 file into Documents\SimCity 4\Regions\Downloads.
Choose an existing region which has a small sized city, for example Maxisland, and click on the city:

Click the import button, which is the icon on the left which looks like an arrow on a computer. This dialog pops up, click continue:

The file browser window opens, click the downloads folder:

And choose the city to import:

And the existing city will be replaced.

Now you can enter that city and modify it for your own use, and then copy the file to Sims 2 to play.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 8:57 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 29th Jun 2016 at 9:27 PM.
@Lindarctica It's nice to see you're interested in one of my terrains. Thanks!

As Peni kindly said, I'm not that hard to reach. And feel free to make use of my terrain; don't worry, you're not stealing it (you could always read a creator's policy to see what they allow and disallow, it's located in the profile page of the creator) and I'm really interested in seeing what modifications you will be doing to the terrain, so be sure to post pictures! :D

And let us know if you need any further help!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 9:31 PM
@ simsample. YES that was what i was looking for! thanks!

@ M.M.A.A, Oh hi! XD Yes, Oceantide County is near perfect for me! Love the squares at near the water. Make for a great little town park. But i like smaller lots so they are stuck with lots of grass nothingness in between.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 3:51 PM
Okay the topic title is quite an open for interpretation one, so i just post along here.

Thanks for the tips everyone! i succeeded in uploading M.M.A.A's map into simcity 4 and add some roads. Also on the hills. At first it didn't pose a problem in sims 2 as the roads on the hills had a nice, gentle slope. But then i started placing pre-build lots and everything went to hell. For the past 3 hour's i've been fiddling to get the roads right, as some were twisted to an 80 degree angle, So far i have some - slightly sloping roads, that suddenly drop down in a sharp angle, and some stupid looking mountains. I wish i could post a screenshot but my compuer isn't working with me at all... but you get the general idea.

Does anybody know a trick for this? maybe a cheat?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 4:16 PM
If you have Freetime installed, then you can use the 'modifyNeighborhoodTerrain' cheat to edit the neighborhood terrain in neighborhood view. Here: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_...ims_2:_FreeTime
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 2:19 PM
Here I am again! I have questions, you might have answers Stil using this neighbordhood and loving it btw! I only keep running into the following problem: I've been moving around buildings in my neighborhood. A lot of times, i can't place a lot/building on a place where it should fit with ease. There are no obstructions such as landscaping or elevation, and even if i have placed buildings on this particular spot earlier, i still get a red square. Does anyone know a solution? Sort of a moveobjectson for buildings or something?
Field Researcher
#9 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 2:44 PM
One thing that often helps is exiting the neighborhood and coming back - it resets whatever it is that says you can't place a building here.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lindarctica
Here I am again! I have questions, you might have answers Stil using this neighbordhood and loving it btw! I only keep running into the following problem: I've been moving around buildings in my neighborhood. A lot of times, i can't place a lot/building on a place where it should fit with ease. There are no obstructions such as landscaping or elevation, and even if i have placed buildings on this particular spot earlier, i still get a red square. Does anyone know a solution? Sort of a moveobjectson for buildings or something?

The problem here is either the lot or the terrain was not flat when the lot was made or both.

To make sure lots will go anywhere then you must start out with flat terrain and flat lot around the edges, you can have dips and mounds in your lot but the edge must be flat.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 3:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
The problem here is either the lot or the terrain was not flat when the lot was made or both.

To make sure lots will go anywhere then you must start out with flat terrain and flat lot around the edges, you can have dips and mounds in your lot but the edge must be flat.

That was the problem I think! Anyway, restarted the game and now i can place them all thanks again guys!