Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 6:47 PM
Default Does anyone play without sound?
I seem to have found myself without any computer speakers, therefore no sound. But instead of wallowing in my misery, I decided to find out who actually likes playing without sound. Does such a person exist?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 7:00 PM Last edited by omglo : 16th Jul 2016 at 8:26 PM.
I play without sound about 90% of the time. I used to forget to turn on the speakers, then I became accustomed to playing that way. I don't dislike the sound, though, and it's a nice surprise when I start the game when the speakers are on.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 7:06 PM
I never play with sound! :-) I used to always have other stuff going on as well when I was playing TS2 - other people around, the TV on, listening to music - so I didn't like having the sound on. owadays I play by myself, in my studio flat which I don't share with anyone, and I don't have a working TV anymore - but I still play without the sound on!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 7:10 PM
Oh God no! Have to have sound on. Otherwise, how am I gonna figure out if a try for baby was successful or not? Not gonna bother to get them back to bed just to check if the option still comes up. :P

Plus, I like to hear certain sound effects, and some of the music (and stereo songs) are quite catchy.
Alchemist
#5 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M.M.A.A.
Oh God no! Have to have sound on. Otherwise, how am I gonna figure out if a try for baby was successful or not? Not gonna bother to get them back to bed just to check if the option still comes up.

Sim Blender.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 8:31 PM
It depends on my mood, generally it's on though. I like having the sound on but sometimes I just feel like putting my headphones on and listening to other music. When I do, I turn it off in the settings and put a playlist on in the background. Many surprise babies have happened because of it and ACR though which is always fun to play. I like the element of surprise! :D

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 8:31 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jul 2016 at 9:12 PM.
I usually play without sound. I often find the game sounds distracting or annoying (particuclarly the music), and don't want to disturb anyone else, so I've gotten used to a silent game. I also don't like it when the game is a bit slow and the sounds go all choppy or out of sync. My 'gaming computer' has speakers, but the last time I set up the computer I didn't bother with them, so now it only have sound on headphones. Sometimes I'll listen to music on headphones while playing, but most of the time I play in silence.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Sim Blender.

Lol! Of course, it's just much faster that way though.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 9:06 PM
I prefer having the sound on, both so I can catch game cues (chimes, ghost music, love harps, the boing of heartbreak) and so I can hear the music I've put on the different stations. I like hearing the footsteps and the different voices, too. My computer keeps disconnecting the speakers (I can't tell if it's an actual problem in the system or the cats and me bumping into the USB cable and unseating the connection) and I will go so far as to abort the game to get the sound back.

However, in the summer I can't really run the game without the air on, and the window unit in that room is so loud that, though I can hear the music most of the time, most of the subtle sounds are drowned out. Also, I keep getting auditory hallucinations - basically my ears, subconsciously tuned for certain sounds, will manufacture them out of the white noise of the air conditioner. So last night, for example, I kept being sure I'd heard ghost music and went looking all over the lot for Valentine Hart's ghost, but there was no visual sign of him anywhere. You'd expect somebody like him to be going around checking on people, popping out to scare them, fiddling with electronics, etc., but nothing. So I probably wasn't hearing the music. But I'll never be sure.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 9:08 PM
Many times. the only time I can play the Sims is in the early morning. At those times, I'll either play without sound or with the sound at a very low volume. I do not think my family would appreciate being roused out of a sound sleep by Go Betty Go.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 9:20 PM
I always play with the sound off-because I wear 2 hearing aids, it's difficult for me to use headphones for an extended period of time, so I've gotten used to not having any at all.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#12 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 9:31 PM
Sound on, music off. There are sliders in game and you can adjust what you want to hear.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 10:14 PM
Wow - y'all amaze me. I always have sound on and can't imagine playing without it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 10:18 PM
I frequently play without the games music because I have my own on, but talking, ambiance yes always.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 10:32 PM
When I start the game the sound is off, I don't want to hear the music while the game is loading. But when I play the sound is always on. I don't think I'd appreciate the game as much without all the sounds. Sometimes when I'm in buy or build mode for a long time I turn off the sound/music.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 10:52 PM
I normally play with sound off Not always, but normally.
I often listen to other music, and sometimes I just listen to other stuff, like internet radio. And I sometimes actually work as well
Undead Molten Llama
#17 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 11:10 PM
Yep, I'm another that turns the game's music off but not the other sounds. That way, the pixels can smustle to their damn salsa music all they want and I don't have to listen to it. But I like to hear crying babies/toddlers, ringing telephones, baby chimes, etc., plus ambient sounds like dogs barking and birds chirping and those creepy sounds that tombstones make. I turn off all the sounds if I'm building, though. Then I'll listen to my own music or have a movie or TV show playing in a media player while I build. (They're all ripped to and stored on a big networked external hard drive, so I can call up any movie/TV show we own to watch while building.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Alchemist
#18 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 11:15 PM
in some past time playing, the computer I had at the time did not have speakers. back then did not have any mods/hacks; and I think I did not know about testingcheatsenabled.

my current computer does have speakers. most of the time, sound is turned on.
in game, just the stereo stations and the neighborhood music is "turned off"; all other music/sound in the game is on.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#19 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 11:22 PM
I Love this question about if we play our Sims with or without "sound" try Looking at it this way we rarely understand what the Sims are saying in their Simlish language anyway.
So to me it make no different if the sound is off or on, just sat their and watch their actions you will get the messages of what they are doing. But yes I do play my Sims with the sound on.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Field Researcher
#20 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 11:30 PM
I play with sound on, it's a must! However, I do play without music - it wears on my nerves after awhile. But I need my cues to know what is going on.
Scholar
#21 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 11:56 PM
Only turn off the background music. But voices and special sounds I always on. I usually play the game with headphones rather than speakers and listening non-simmies music on youtube or some I downloaded.

Playing windows mode, the background music gets annoying when it shut off when going through my word notes, so I prefer to have "normal" non-game music in the background.
Scholar
#22 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 12:07 AM
I love the sounds in the game but cant always enjoy them. My playing time is always around other people that TALK to me CONSTANTLY.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Alchemist
#23 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 12:50 AM
about understanding simlish; I recall from long ago of some that do understand simlish.
of some that seem fluent in it. though am not sure if "fluent" is the right term; not sure what would be the right term.

recall from somewhere (do not remember where) that they used various real-world languages to create simlish.
one reason for that I take was to save computer memory.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 2:14 AM
I always play without sound. I prefer the quiet.
Theorist
#25 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Wow - y'all amaze me. I always have sound on and can't imagine playing without it.

This and...

Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I turn off all the sounds if I'm building, though.

This.
Page 1 of 3