Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#276 Old 11th Nov 2009 at 7:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Modding Glossarywiki

It should probably be more prominently linked to, though.
I`d like to suggest that the terms defined there be autolinks to the definitions when present in someone`s post. .

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Advertisement
Site Helper
#277 Old 12th Nov 2009 at 9:26 PM
The problem there would be keeping up with it as the wiki gets expanded.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mother Function
retired moderator
#278 Old 12th Nov 2009 at 9:53 PM
That modding glossary thing should probably be updated to include TS3 terms as well.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#279 Old 12th Nov 2009 at 11:22 PM
We can't integrate it, as PayPal won't allow us to take donations if we do (last time they closed our account without warning and we lost a load of money). An overhaul of SXS is in the works, but it's looking like it'll be quite complex, so it may take some time.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#280 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 6:30 PM
Ah! I just remembered something! Can you make it to where we can edit a comment that we made on a Journal/Guestbook entry? Because I hate having to air my typos for the world to see.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Lab Assistant
#281 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 7:53 PM
I would like to see the format of files standardised. i cannot download rar files and so have to search through every file till i find a zip one. is WinZIP not an easier programme to obtain and use than winrar? perhaps its just a personal preferance.
Lab Assistant
#282 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 8:18 PM
Default Content Theme List
A content theme list for Sims 3.

I haven't bought Sims 3 yet, as I only play historically themed Sims games, and there isn't enough victorian or medieval content out yet... but when I DO get it, the theme list would be very helpful.

I noticed there sin't a Sims 3 Content List the way there is for Sims 2 on the wiki.

Also, on the Sims 2, it would be nice to be able to add themes... for example, under historical, there is medieval/renaissance, and victorian. Baroque and Rococo kind of get lost between the two, they should be their own category.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#283 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 8:42 PM
There is a Content List started for TS3 stuff - and as far as all that goes, it's user-editible. While staff does tend to work on it more than users, if you would like to see changes or additions made, that's really something that's best to jump in and start doing yourself. That's the beauty of wiki-based editing: anyone can contribute.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#284 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 8:47 PM
Sherbrooke - You absolutely CAN use rar files and WinRAR is just as easy to get and use as Winzip. rar is a bit of a better compression format: it compresses files smaller so they're quicker to upload by creators and quicker to download for users. Heck, we've even considered adding 7z support - again, similar, but better compression than either zip or rar. Just get WinRAR, seriously, it works fine. Or one of the dozens of other utilities that open rar files if you have issues for whatever reason with WinRAR

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
The other one
#285 Old 15th Nov 2009 at 10:18 PM
Thanks for the opportunity to request.

Contest Advertising. I only discovered the contests and social forums recently because I always thought this site was just about sharing CC and 'talking shop'.

I noticed that it always seems to be the same people on the contests and a lot of them have to get cancelled due to lack of interest. Maybe if they were advertised on the home page in an 'anybody can join' kinda way more people would sign up? I know it's unreasonable to advertise every single one but maybe just a general reminder every month or two with a list of current and upcoming contests?

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#286 Old 16th Nov 2009 at 12:19 AM
Well, we did have a "come join our contests!!" news post a few months ago. But yes, adding some more social stuff to the front page might not be a bad idea. We'll have a look.

Test Subject
#287 Old 16th Nov 2009 at 5:51 AM
This was mentioned on the first page of this thread, but no-one replied to it, and I also seached overall and didn't find anything, but I was wondering what happened to the Downloaded Items page, and if it was returning? My sister and I play on separate computers, but share the same account, so it was really handy to download content on one computer, then move to the other, visit that page, and download the content again on the second computer. I'd really love it if it were to return, or a similar function to be made, as it really was quite useful. >.<
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#288 Old 16th Nov 2009 at 6:34 AM
A tiny issue with page titles: Subscribed threads are titled "Subscription", and the paid subscriptions page is titled "Subscriptions", which is still confusing me every now and then (like with URL autocompletion, bookmarks etc). I think it would be clearer if the subscribed threads were called "Subscribed threads" (and perhaps the subscriptions "Paid subscriptions" for addidional disambiguation goodness).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#289 Old 16th Nov 2009 at 1:47 PM
SerenityRose, the database queries involved in this feature were bloody massive, and they slowed things down significantly. It's possible that it may come back in the future, if Delphy has a brainwave regarding how to make it more efficient, but otherwise I'm afraid it's been shelved.

Test Subject
#290 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 7:03 AM
Ah, that's fair enough. Thanks anyway, whiterider.
Banned
#291 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 8:31 PM
I think it would be helpful for both creators and downloaders if you divided the build mode walls and floors into all possible categories. Such as brick, siding, tile, e.c.t.
#292 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 9:11 PM
SerenityRose, there is a *very easy* manual work-around available.

Subscribe to the download thread. If necessary, subscribe in a special "Downloads" subscription folder set up just for this. Then use the subscription to find the same download from the other computer, after which you may either (a) delete the subscription, (b) move the subscription to a different folder, or (c) just leave it be.

I hope this helps.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#293 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 10:05 PM
joninmobile: Sure, lets recategorise some 3,349 threads for Sims 2 alone just to add individual categories... shouldn't take too long, surely?

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#294 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 12:20 PM
Add a The Sims 3 World Adventures tickbox to the 'Edit Profile' 'Sims 3 Games' section.
I just bought WA.

Check my creations! http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=2248130
The Portuguese simmers group! Clicky!
Banned
#295 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
joninmobile: Sure, lets recategorise some 3,349 threads for Sims 2 alone just to add individual categories... shouldn't take too long, surely?

Well you don't have to recatogorize the existing downloads, just have it as an option for future downloads, and if anyone would like to edit thier uploads so that they can include which part of the wall or floor it is they can. Much like what happend with new search terms for downloads. When the new search terms were issued all the older downloads without the search terms still were just plain vanillia with no search terms, and it was up to the creator to edit their post to reflect the new search terms.

Edit:

Also auto links are annoying, except for SimPE and Creator Guidelines I think they are a bit too excessive.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#296 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 9:19 PM
joninmobile: If you add a brand new search / filter functionality that ONLY works on new downloads, and that does NOT work on any old ones, how do you expect to be able to find old downloads using that search? Simple: You can't. This is why we make sure that old downloads have the correct search and filtering categories so that it DOES work. In actual fact, when the new search terms where added WE as staff (and the helpers) had to go through and edit pretty much every single download on the entire site. I even added special coding to make that as painless as possible. It may have seemed like nothing was done, but it was.

I'm not going to add a feature that causes headaches and work for all the staff without first checking with them first and allocating resources to it. The site has survived for 5 years without having those search terms... I think it can wait a bit longer.

ABC: I'll be updating for WA when I get around to it.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Forum Resident
#297 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 2:13 AM
Could an RSS feed be created for the front page?
Alchemist
#298 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 4:05 AM
Teach you to make a valid inquiry again, joninmobile, won't he!
Test Subject
#299 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 11:43 AM
the help menus are all specific to sims 3, and not sims 3 world adventures... im new to this site but thats the reason i joined and i cant find anything. such as how to install .package files once you have the expansion.
Site Helper
#300 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 1:27 PM
They haven't finished working that out yet.

Some things need to be in the WA folder, some things don't need to be moved, some things should not be moved, and some things should be completely removed until they are updated. Testing is still in progress, results will be in soon.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Page 12 of 15