Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 10:54 PM
Default Undocumented Features in Pescado's mods
Pescado's mods have a tendency to slip in undocumented features that haven't been mentioned in the readme. I'm curious as to how many have been discovered, though. I like to know what exactly I'm sticking into my game and I'm guessing some other people do too.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 12:37 AM
I thought there was a thread on this already? Didn't Jo start it?

Edit: to say I've just been looking for it but can't find it. Maybe whoever it was started the thread could link it. You might find some useful information on it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 12:56 AM
I think Charity started it maybe? It wasn't me.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 1:09 AM Last edited by ihatemandatoryregister : 26th Oct 2016 at 1:23 AM.
I did a search (both with the forum search and google search) before posting and didn't come up with anything.

EDIT: I checked Charity's started threads and found this. It lists the 'clean' mods. http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=551002

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 7:30 AM
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 10:09 AM
Having only started using mods around 2011 or there, I am going to speak up for Pescado His mods, for a new mod using player, were far easier to find and to understand than many others. Many creators are gone, and other modders refer to tons of mods the new mod using player has never heard of. Some archives are empty or broken, Pescado's are not.

I am a fan of Pescado's mods myself and use a large number of them.

Personally, I think the belief that his mods are hiding things inside is a tad unfair to him. Some mods do incorporate an object needed (yellowpee comes to mind), but that does not mean it is going to change your game into a game from some dark place. There is a manual and it is easy enough to understand what his mods do.

In my own game, I have not seen anything happening that I cannot explain due to using Pescado's mods.

I will divide his mods into three parts then:

a. Essential mods to keep the game safe. They are mentioned above, and I will not play without them myself.
b. Mods taking care of irritating stuff (obviously stuff that irritated Pescado ) - but one does not have to use all of them. That pink rabbit spinning comes to mind here, as well as (essential to me) no route fail.Also the one keeping each and every Sim getting bladder failure at the same time - parties are much nicer without all the guests clogging up the bathroom.
c. Game changing mods (romance mod, no instant love, no 20k handout (for students after graduation) etc).

Some mods seem to be misunderstood - like the hug when a kid comes back from school. This works as normal - except that, with Pescado's mod, you can (not have too) cancel it.

Obviously, not all of us want/need the same mods - but they are all available in the Director's Cut if you do.

Some of the mods - as Charity pointed out - seem to be no longer needed due to having been fixed in patches.

Mods clashing with Pescado mods are (almost?) always mods by other modders who have incorporated all the features of the original Pescado mod into the new mod. So technically, those mods also may do things you are not aware of then.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Having only started using mods around 2011 or there, I am going to speak up for Pescado His mods, for a new mod using player, were far easier to find and to understand than many others. Many creators are gone, and other modders refer to tons of mods the new mod using player has never heard of. Some archives are empty or broken, Pescado's are not.

I am a fan of Pescado's mods myself and use a large number of them.

Personally, I think the belief that his mods are hiding things inside is a tad unfair to him. Some mods do incorporate an object needed (yellowpee comes to mind), but that does not mean it is going to change your game into a game from some dark place. There is a manual and it is easy enough to understand what his mods do.

In my own game, I have not seen anything happening that I cannot explain due to using Pescado's mods.

Same here.
I love his mods and truly appreciate all the work he has done for TS2. Even when he changes things he doesn't like, as a matter of personal preference, he never fails to mention it.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 7:46 PM
I agree. I wish he were still involved with sims 2, but I know he has moved on. Does he work with sims 4 now?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#9 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 8:23 PM
Yes - last time I looked on MATY he started fiddling with it. (I admit to enjoying his sense of humour as well )
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 8:39 PM
I just hope that nothing bad happens to the game if you give a servo a secondary aspiration with creaturefixes installed. I wonder what kind of glitch it causes.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 10:36 PM
I do it all the time. I don't think it does anything bad.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#12 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 11:05 PM
Ok. I was wondering because Cyjon mentioned something about Creaturefixes in his servo mod.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 11:13 PM
Cyjon also says his mod should load after Pescado's - he probably has some of the same things in his mod, and they will conflict if his loads first.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 12:14 AM
I see. He was mentioning that he does the same thing pescado does - he avoids giving servos secondary aspirations. Though I will try. Hopefully it won't break anything.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 12:33 AM
backup your hood then if something happens you can switch to your backup.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 6:28 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 30th Oct 2016 at 8:55 PM. Reason: Clarified Bigfoot-thing
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
Even when he changes things he doesn't like, as a matter of personal preference, he never fails to mention it.

At what point though, does a known but unmentioned bug become a unmentioned feature? For example, dramafixes prevents Bigfoot-wants from filling. Alfixes says it prevents the apartment mailbox from becoming unusable if you receive love letters, but it doesn't clarify that it does so by simply nuking the letters. Not just on apartments, in all lots. Especially problematic since the bug it's intended to fix has been fixed by patches, making it nuke love letters for no reason. Which he knew, before retiring.

I agree Pescado gets a worse rep than he deserves, but there's no denying that his documentation stinks. As does the documentation of a lot of big modders.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 8:35 PM
Omigod... I HAVE dramafix! That's going OUT NOW! Any other mods that prevent stupid met-self memories and letcherous drama professors without making Bigfoot unbefriendable?

Edit: And any other side effects from Pescado's mods? 'Cause I've been getting some nasty jump bugs, and no, there seems to be no mod conflicts... though I will do another scan.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 8:50 PM
If there is another fix for self-met memories, I haven't heard about it. I realized I was unclear in my post. Your Sims can interact with Bigfoot, and I seem to recall the relationship panel reacting accordingly, but it won't register with the wants panel. For example, if your Sim rolls a want to meet Bigfoot, it won't get fulfilled. You could work around it by manually filling it (testingcheatsenabled true, then ctrl+click the want and it'll count as being filled), or take out dramafix before play sessions when you'll be interacting with bigfoot. Not too major, but a bummer if you like Bigfoot.

There are many other examples of things caused by Pescado-mods that aren't in the documentation, he got his reputation for a reason, but unfortunately I can't think of any other examples. But as I've stated elsewhere in the past, this is not unique for Pescado. Lots of modders have undocumented side-features of their mods. For example, Squinge's no autonomous sleep prevents pets from sleeping on Sim beds. It's the risk we take when we use things other people made, unfortunately.

That's not to say all mods have hidden unwanted features, there are lots of great mods that do exactly what they said, and many weird unexpected glitches that aren't the fault of the modder. It's just good to be aware of these things as a downloader, so you can keep an open skeptical mind when things act strangely.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
If there is another fix for self-met memories, I haven't heard about it.

BO made one last year. I took out drama fix because I actually wanted a return of the lecherous drama professor. My game doesn't see much of that kind of drama so having them and the cow around spices things up.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 10:42 PM
@joandsarah77 - look up Dizzy's hacks (I linked them on another thread) and check out slutty-cow. That one's great fun

Field Researcher
#21 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 11:45 PM
Here is BoilingOil's mod! A lifesaver, no? :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#22 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
If there is another fix for self-met memories, I haven't heard about it. I realized I was unclear in my post. Your Sims can interact with Bigfoot, and I seem to recall the relationship panel reacting accordingly, but it won't register with the wants panel. For example, if your Sim rolls a want to meet Bigfoot, it won't get fulfilled. You could work around it by manually filling it (testingcheatsenabled true, then ctrl+click the want and it'll count as being filled), or take out dramafix before play sessions when you'll be interacting with bigfoot. Not too major, but a bummer if you like Bigfoot.

Oh I see! Thank you for clarifying it. Don't worry... sometimes I can be unclear as well. I still took out the dramafix. Might just not interact much with the drama professors, or I'll use BO's mod instead. Most of Pescado's mods are good, but they can be quite unclear.

This is why, whenever I mention that I hacked certain occult-related want-trees, I always give a warning to back up the wanttrees package before you mess with it, and make SURE you know what you're doing. There is always a chance that you could corrupt the game when messing with certain files.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 12:39 AM
I'd love to learn more about hacking want trees. I've hacked out hobby wants, but I blindly followed instructions from a person who PMed me. I love not having them, but it did remove a few that I wouldn't mind keeping, so I'm hoping I can one day learn to fine-tune it a bit more and not just remove the entire branch of wants.

Mad Poster
#24 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 1:05 AM
Ok. Well, I have a blog in my signature, one that I haven't posted to in awhile, that has the locations of the creature wanttrees. Just be careful if you edit them.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 2:50 AM
If you already have BoilingOil's "No Trash Memories", you won't need his "No Met Self Memories". It's nice to have a choice.
Page 1 of 2