Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2016 at 5:13 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Remove Roads and Alter Neighbourhood Terrain Help Needed
I decided to make a custom university using the Alpinloch (base game) terrain. That has proven to be a challenge, if not an absolute mistake. The hood has 404 road tiles, yet with less actual buildable area than Twikkii Island (heh...404. Lots not found... Yes, well). While I realise I can use boolProp displayNeighborhoodRoads, I do want an appropriate number visible, leading to the few lots large enough to be reasonably playable. Is there a way to delete some of the extraneous roads? I've googled and wikied repeatedly, but can't find anything germane.

Second, I've never tried to use modifyneighborhoodterrain, but it looks like I'm going to need to give it a go, and any advice would be appreciated. I've built several buildings near the mountaintop. Most are on very small and flat-ish lots, but one has a walk-in basement that required no terrain modification whatsoever--the lot slopes that much (and more) from one side to the other. Past that, the terrain plummets almost straight down; I'd like to make the slope more gradual without screwing up my existing lots.

Finally, whenever I try to use the water tool I wind up with sheer banks that require staircases to descend and almost no water (or none) at the bottom. This happened even at the lowest elevation (near the loch part of Alpinloch). I'd really like a park with a nice, large, fishable pond. Is there a way to manage that?

Thanks for any and all help!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 30th May 2016 at 5:35 AM
SimCity 4 is required to add or remove the roads and modify the terrain on a large scale. Hood Replace copies over the SC4 terrain to the hood. Hood Replace will not copy roads,bridges or trees over unless the terrain has been generated in a Sims 2 game.

More information is on the Hood Replace Page.

Hood Replace page below https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&s...2VWoXhFj-FidoVw

The modifyneighborhoodterrain cheat cannot affect lot ground or the surrounding tiles it affects non lot locations. So you would have to move the lot to modify the ground where it was and place it back after you have made changes that you are happy with.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th May 2016 at 6:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain
SimCity 4 is required to add or remove the roads and modify the terrain on a large scale.

So...basically find someone who plays SC4 and ask for help. Or learn to do it myself. I wish there was a cheap, stripped-down utility version of that game with only the capability to build, edit, and export terrains enabled. I have no interest in macromanaging a city, I just want to micromanage some sims.
Scholar
#4 Old 30th May 2016 at 8:48 AM
It's not necessary to build a city aside from the roads. Perhaps someone could created a modified version of Alpinloch for you. I have SC4 so maybe I could though I have never uploaded anything nor do I know which roads you would want removed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st May 2016 at 4:13 PM
It's not necessary to build a city aside from the roads. Perhaps someone could created a modified version of Alpinloch for you. I have SC4 so maybe I could though I have never uploaded anything nor do I know which roads you would want removed.

That would be GREATLY appreciated; I could then replace the terrain using Mootilda's HoodReplacer. I have only built on the topmost roads, at the flattish crest of the mountain. I'd like that to stay unaltered. The rest is editable as you (and the SC4 game engine) see fit. However, if possible, I'd love some flat space at the edge of the loch, suitable for lots that slope down (these lots), so that a lake is feasible and plausible. I'd like switchbacks going up the mountain instead of an impossible climb that makes me cringe (I live near mountains; our 6 to 10 degree grades have runaway truck ramps...) with perhaps some terracing alongside the lower slope side. (Or to quote Arlo Guthrie, who explains it better than I can, "On one side of the mountain road there was a mountain, And on the other side, there was nothin’, There was just a cliff in the air..."; I'd like the flat areas on the cliff-in-the-air side, not carved unrealistically out of the massif.) Not everywhere; not along all the roads, just scattered here and there, spaces wide enough for a 1x3 lot where I can put a rest stop or gas station or some mountain man's old, weathered cabin. I'd like a number of roads reasonable for an isolated mountainous area. Perfect would be the switchback roads up to the crests and building space for a small town in the (currently non-existent) valley. I've always wanted a 2x2 or 3x3 square for a town square lot with roads for shops and houses coming off from the centre, but I realise this wishlist is getting very long.

Anyway, if you feel like giving it a go, I'm sure whatever you come up with will be an improvement, and thank you very, very much for trying.
Scholar
#6 Old 31st May 2016 at 9:49 PM Last edited by Sims2Christain : 1st Jun 2016 at 1:07 AM.
The image and SC4 terrain attached in a rar is what the modified loch area looks like at the moment. Please tell me what you think.

SC4 translates differently into Sims 2 in terms of tiles
eg 2 roads side by side in SimCity4 ends up with a gap in the centre of the two roads in Sims 2, much like the Strangetown's Road to Nowhere.
possible explaination as to why in spoiler

also Sims 2 flips the Sim City 4 terrain which is why the Sim City 4 image appears different to the Alpinloch terrain in Sims 2.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  City - Alpinloch.rar (1.65 MB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
Description: modification of Alpinloch terrain
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 2:58 AM
The image and SC4 terrain attached in a rar is what the modified loch area looks like at the moment. Please tell me what you think.

SC4 translates differently into Sims 2 in terms of tiles
eg 2 roads side by side in SimCity4 ends up with a gap in the centre of the two roads in Sims 2, much like the Strangetown's Road to Nowhere.
possible explaination as to why in spoiler

also Sims 2 flips the Sim City 4 terrain which is why the Sim City 4 image appears different to the Alpinloch terrain in Sims 2.

OMG!!! That looks amazing! Just perfect, and realistic. Below is a screenshot of the only place I've actually built lots I care about. The red line is where I would love to see a road added, basically running across the ridge. Elsewhere add or delete (especially delete) as you wish. Having seen a sample, I totally trust your artistic judgement.
Screenshots
Scholar
#8 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 3:42 AM Last edited by Sims2Christain : 1st Jun 2016 at 7:58 AM.
here is the revised edition of Alpinloch. I have a feeling that you would prefer the stretch of road to be flat though.

Hope you enjoy it.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  City - Alpinloch.rar (1.67 MB, 10 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 1:28 AM Last edited by croiduire : 3rd Jun 2016 at 1:53 AM.
here is the revised edition of Alpinloch. I have a feeling that you would prefer the stretch of road to be flat though.

Hope you enjoy it.

I'm LOVING your changes! Much more realistic, and with so many excellent details included, I am just amazed. Thank you so very very much, and if you ever need a favour, just ask; I'll do my best (I can't mesh though). You are very, very talented! :lovestruc

(Sorry it took me so long to reply. I had no time yesterday to playtest.)
Scholar
#10 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 2:18 AM
No problem. You got what you wanted and I was able to deliver. I am not sure what you create though. You have the golden colour of a uploader yet I cannot find your uploads.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 8:01 AM
No problem. You got what you wanted and I was able to deliver. I am not sure what you create though. You have the golden colour of a uploader yet I cannot find your uploads.

Is that what gold means? I don't deserve it! I've never uploaded to MtS (at least, I can't recall doing so). I can do some recolours, sims, paintings, lots...simple things like that.
Scholar
#12 Old 3rd Jun 2016 at 9:33 AM
I think that's what gold means anyway. Do you know how to do pet skin and eye colours. I'd like the Alien skin tone and black eyes as green fur and black pet eyes if you can as I've been unable to find any.

Thanks.