Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2016 at 7:18 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default What's a girl to do?!
First here are my specs and storage intel. Afterwards, I will go into as much detail as possible with the situation.

General Specs:
Windows 10 64-bit
AMD A8-4555m APU with Radeon(tm) HD graphics

System Memory 6 gb
Memory Slot 1 4 gb A data technology 1333MHz
Memory Slot 2 2 gb Hyniv 1333MHz

System Board 193B 87.0C

BIOS F.1C

Graphic Device

AMD Radeon HD 7600G
Resoluton: 1366 X 768
Refresh Rate: 60
Version: 15.200.1055.0
Memory: 3,041 mb

Storage
Drive: Toshiba MQ01ABD07S SATA Disk Device 698.64 gb

2 partitions 1 for backup main partition : sector size 512
space 581.21 gb free

Ok time for the hard part.
I know more than the average joe about comps. Some verbage is new to me, but I can figure it out. I have searched the web on custom content before I ever downloaded anything starting with the Sims3 store. I felt that (1. I'm poor; 2. only computer I have; 3. it's better to research before doing) downloading content from the store first was easier and safer. (Yes, straight store stuff not exchange). I didn't notice any problems within the game. Then I was very choosy about exchange content. If content didn't look right, I uninstalled from the game. (Because, when I download nothing shows up in-game...duh. Then I install, shows up in-game, but don't like, I uninstall. What happens after that will come later.) So then, I roamed about on the web and came across TSR. I went through their forums and saw, and made note of issues with some content - mainly creating. I then got picky. So, I downloaded by instructions...yeah new content. In-game no issues. Content downloaded, mainly furniture very few build. Then I got into the hair, make-up clothing, etc. (NO skins; not yet anyway) No issues. A little lag starting up, but not a big deal because there was no lag in-game. For about a week now I've been playing with custom content from TSR and the actually sims3 store without headache and issue. Again, If I didn't like the content in game or it wasn't working properly.....It was uninstalled from the launcher. If I didn't like it and it was downloaded from TSR, I deleted it from the launcher or from the file itself depending on the instructions of the download. Most of TSR stuff is sims3pack. Now, we get into mts stuff. I scoured all over the web for reviews on the website. I had noticed things from members at tsr mentioning MODS. What are mods? and countless other questions. I looked...o cool! I would love to have more plants....ok don't have the ep...cool...i can still do the other and not worry about the recipe. O look more skin and from hysterical (no doubt). That's cool! O look....hair that is laying properly! (I can't stand hair that doesn't lay right......Check it from the sides please! If it's not laying right on the chest....it looks crappy in game and in CAS. Sorry, soapbox.) Ok anyway, I read up on proper installation of mods and custom content from MTS. More intense then the store and TSR, but....I did it and I know I moved things around PROPERLY! so there was the strawberry plant....chef mod, and gardener mod downloads. I couldn't tell if they worked at all because when I would click on the town I wanted to get into....my game would stop loading at 99%....and freeze. So, I thought, there is content I don't use that I've downloaded. I deleted all of that. Still....froze. I deleted all of the cache files and the other stuff to clean things up....nothing. same thing. Then, I went into the actual download file for the game. Well, because I delete the install content, it's not in the download file....duh! So, when I deleted some more stuff....checked the clean up files to delete (I call them clean up files) I restarted my comp and started the game. Major lag in CAS. BUT I noticed that even the content I know I uninstalled in the launcher....was still in-game. What's a girl to do?
I checked everywhere for this issue. How do you get rid of those freaking fracking files? Because I know for a fact.....they were helping with the lag and loading times. After spending countless hours reading and going to links and reading some more....I thought...I did everything. I deleted the mod folder; therefore, everything I downloaded from MtS disappeared. I went to game....everything worked. No lag...no loading issues. huh I thought, but the freaking content from TSR that I uninstalled...was still there. I searched my comp over for the "actual" ea file....you know the one...in your program file (i have two program files....reg and X86) No EA folder in either one.

I DO NOT HAVE A CD ROM DRIVE! My HP Sleekbook does not have one! It makes the laptop lighter....I have back problems and when I was going to school...laptop and 30 lbs books was just too much. Anyway, I had to do the digital download.

Now, it would be very helpful...if all mods went through and checked their stuff to make sure tutorials incorporate those of us who have to do the digital download. WHY? Because when we uninstall, we don't go into the control panel and uninstall the program....it's not there. It's in origin! AWWWWWW! The death be all. There are things that will have to be considered for that...I think. Because i couldn't find those actual files that I downloaded from TSR.....they are gone! poof! Please tell me if I am wrong. I need a computer whiz over here.

Anyway, what I ended up having to do was to uninstall from origin. delete the EA folder in my document area.
Then, I restarted my comp and went into origin and re-installed the game and did the mod folder with the uh...frameworksetup file. So, I am ready for new content. I miss some of the TSR stuff, but at least I know what I can get back from there. Now for the gardener and chef mod....I won't use them.
But I want to use the plant mods...I am very confused. From what I read I don't need the eps those are needed for the recipes. And when the file downloads....i unzip then cut and paste into the mods\package folder. But I am worried about lag again. I have redownloaded and installed my store content (not exchange stuff). I want to download the other custom content I had before and found a nifty gadget that will allow me to group alike content so that the game doesn't lag and loading time is shorter. I have yet to download that file to get the software ready.

Question
Where are my program files? In origin? (Besides of course being in my documents folder)
What is the path and the thinking of the game\launcher when the player downloads - installs - then uninstalls the content? Why did it not leave the game? The CAS stuff I uninstalled (like hair) was still in CAS, and yes after i took care of the cache and restarting my comp. Yes, the game was not running when I made sure the content was gone from the folder.
Also, because of origin and me having to digitally download the game and future packs, will this cause an issue with the mods?
Because you would think that the coding for the cd version would be the same for the dd version. Because gaming for the platforms are different...even the mac! i.e. mobile sim game vs xbox....some coding the same, but the gaming experience is way way different because some stuff the coding is different. (I understand a bit of coding from designing websites....yes I know, it's slightly different but i can understand the process.) I don't want to go through the same thing again. It was an easy fix because I don't have to remember where I put the product code-origin has that for me. But It's a pain in the arse. I know from reading the forums there are fixes, BUT some fixes.....are beyond my intelligence level at o'dark hundred!
Any suggestions?

Any intel on whatever I have stated even if it's....You put this in the wrong thread and.....read this in this...would be greatly appreciated.

from....an old woman living in a shoe and brain fried from not knowing what to do but throw away the computer!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 31st May 2016 at 11:38 AM
I'm not sure if I can understand your main question for the answer you're looking for, but here is what I can get from your story;

You have TS3 ver 1.69 from Origin, that's a bit different from most of the players who have 1.67 version from installation perspective, you won't find any EA folder for your TS3 installation, but you will find it in C:\ProgramFiles(X86)\OriginGames\TheSims3 if this is what you looking for.

If you're trying to uninstall something but it isn't there in Control Panel under Programs and Features, you can do it manually with 2 steps, (WARNING: only do this if you are familiar with using windows registry editor), 1st, find the related stuff you're looking for in the windows registry editor, delete them from the windows registry, close to save it when you're done, 2nd, then go delete the actual folder of the program you wanted to delete, restart your laptop.

Anything you've downloaded from the internet, by Windows default it should be in your C:\Users\YourName\Downloads folder, your original TSR downloaded files should be there.

About the lags you're experiencing, I don't know much about TS3 1.69 but you could try to move your TS3 Documents folder to your desktop and try restart your game, TS3 will recreate a new clean TS3 Documents folder in your Documents folder, and you can try it without any CC and mods and see if the game would run without any trouble, then you can try to put back your mods to the mods folder, install your CC from the launcher. Repeat the steps until you find which mods or cc that causing trouble.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 31st May 2016 at 9:17 PM
This is awfully hard to read through and identify exactly what the problem actually is.
In addition to PapaEmy suggesting you try a Clean Folder here are a couple of links that might also help you out:
Information On Patch 1.69
Tips For Better Game Performance - This document has Tips and Links to applications, mods, system help, etc. that will help you to have/keep a healthy game. I think it also has suggestions for some of the issues I think were in your original post.

Once you've tried the clean folder and try suggestions from the Game Performance Tips Page it would be helpful if you could just identify one problem at a time with a brief description of what you already tried.

Hope some of this helps you out and you can get your game back to normal
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st May 2016 at 11:51 PM
If part of the question happened to be where does sims3pack content actually reside once it's installed, the answer is in bundles in the DCCache folder in your game folder in Documents. The dbc bundles will be your installed custom content, the ebc bundles will be your installed EA Store content. And there will be some useless temp files. You can't easily reach that content once it's in bundles, though, the Launcher has to traverse and report on them on its Installed tabs. And it does a mighty bad job of it, I might add. This is why, given a choice, many players prefer package based content, the kind that goes into Mods/Packages, because it's so much easier to work with.

None of this content would show up anywhere in the Program files, those have nothing to do with added content. As stated, all that should have been necessary for a clean break would have been to pull your TS3 game folder out of Documents, thus forcing the game to spawn a new one on its next launch.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 2:55 AM
So glad some of those questions were answered augold44. As igazor mentioned 3pack files installed via the launcher and are saved in the DCCache folder. Unfortunately uninstalling via the launcher does not always remove them from your game. Almost all of my CC is installed via 3pack, I have a ton of CC, much from TSR as well as many other sites I've frequented over the years as well as lots of store items and it's a real chore trying to clean out the DCCache files. TSRs creators have always uploaded their stuff via 3pack. It has been that way for years and not likely to change too much unless/until new creators start using .package files. 3pack files can be converted into package files but that is probably something you want to get in right now. In addition to MTS there are many good sites out there offering their creations via .package.

Don't worry, you are not alone. We've all been there done that and understanding the ins and outs of these things takes time and practice. From your response it seems igazor hit it right on some of your concerns and rather than cause confusion, I'll step back for a bit to give him time to respond.

In the meantime keep those tips I linked to handy. They are not just for when the game is in trouble...much of that document is focused around keeping the game healthy.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 2:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by augold44
Something else I could do, but just found out about Converting those cc files that are sims3packs...into .package files. That way I can still use the cc from TSR. Now, why didn't I think of that?! (because I'm too old.) Now, I just have to find a really good tutorial on conversions...ugh!

LOL, I was just typing the post I just posted and mentioned the very same thing...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 6:50 AM
One of the delightful challenges in dealing with large amounts of sims3pack content installed in dbc files in the DCCache is that, after a while, you might very well have multiple instances of the same content installed. Or, probably more likely, some very similar content. One of the Launcher's biggest shortcomings is that it can only display a limited number of items at a time under each tab, then it just gives up. So we might think an item is not installed or is no longer installed because we can't at the moment see it as installed through the Launcher, but an instance of it is really still there.

The only way I know of to see everything that is installed this way is to use the Launcher to examine one dbc file at a time. That requires removing all dbc and ebc files from DCCache and putting one dbc file back in at a time, temporarily renumbering to zero (dcdb0.dbc) for each single bundle examined this way. The ebc files are all store content so they don't need to be examined so meticulously, but I would remove them to just get their items out of the way. Then, when finished, put everything back the way it was numbered originally.

The other challenge is that, even when doing such a meticulous cleanup, if you have downloaded a sim or a lot with "bad" or "rogue" content attached to it (look up the Arezzo Bathroom Counter fiasco of a number of years ago for example, there have been others), then you can keep removing the unwanted content all you want but it will keep showing back up again as long as the sim or lot carrying it is in place.

So the answer to that part of the question is no, totally uninstalled content will no longer be in your game. But the real problem is knowing when it is totally uninstalled and when it only appears to be so.
Test Subject
#8 Old 4th Jun 2016 at 2:17 AM
I had this problem with my game for a long time. The game has a hard time loading with 200 or more files of CC. So if you repackage them with S3PE and get it as far below 200 as you can, it should load, if it loads when you remove the CC.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 4:42 PM
Good to hear you've made great progress with your game. Just one note though, re custom content causing lag in a game. It is not up to the creator to fix lag. Each player is playing on different type of system with different system/game settings and capabilities. However with things like patterns and some CAS items they can at times be problematic in that they have been incorrectly assigned or were flawed when created. 3Pack files can be checked before installing using Custard (except for worlds/lots). Delphy's Dashboard is a tool that is used to scan the Mods/Packages folder for conflicts.

Mods can be a different story though and there are discussion pages for most all mods allowing us to reach out for help with a particular mod. Often the problem is a player has another mod installed that is conflicting with what was just installed or is outdated so it might not be the new install that is broken.

MTS has over the years maintained a lot of documentation for all types of problems as well as help with modding and game play. Every mod in here has a Discussion forum. Very handy to check to see if someone else had the same problem and how it was fixed or to report a new issue with a mod that is not functioning. Other options in here can be found under Help at the top of the page on the tool bar.

NRaas also has extensive documentation for each mod as well as help with other game issues. For more detail see WCIF More Wiki Information and Help. There is also a document in there with Tips For Better Game Performance offering up several steps that can be taken to keep a game healthy including reducing lag.
Inventor
#10 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 5:13 PM
Your problems started because you trusted TS3 Launcher. Don't it! It wants you to trust it. You should only use the launcher to install worlds and some patterns. The rest can easily be converted to package files and merged in bundles (using Delphy's Sims3Pack Multi Installer and S3PE). You can search for tutorials to do this. Store content is also safe to install through the Laucher, provided you are never going to uninstall it. One of the biggest problems the Launcher has is that not every piece of content you have installed appears in Installed Content (and it's really hard to find anything because there aren't any search tools besides some categories).
You can also use CCMagic to install your content. I strongly recommend that you start from scratch with a clean My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder (just copy your savegames somewhere and delete the old one). Then you install content without using the launcher as much as possible.