Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:25 PM
Default Having problem with Gunmod's lightning mod and Clean Installer
This is making me so tired, I've tried installing Gunmod's lightning mod to the Complete Collection but launching the game I don't really find anything different (installed with Scriptorium).
Making it manually is so hard, I hardly get anything and I've re-read the instructions many times but I hardly get it and I'm afraid I will mess up big time.

Also, how do I make the Clean Installer install stuff where it should go?
Advertisement
Alchemist
Original Poster
#2 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:39 PM
Also, this from the '' how to install '' in the CEP:

'' In a standard installation, the exact path is C:\PROGRAM FILES\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Sims3D ''

I don't even have a map called Sims3D ..
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:46 PM
If you have a folder named "3D" in the Res folder, then that's the right folder. Only the one for the basegame is named "Sims3D". Should be a lot of SimsXX and ObjectsXX files in there.

Not sure how the UC is set up, but if there are folders for each EP/SP, you'll want the basegame folder.

For the Clean Installer, see post # 457 on pg.19 in the download topic (Mootilda's version).
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:04 AM
Well, as far as Clean Installer, where does it think it's default location is? Mine figured it out all by itself. Otherwise, after you decide what you want to install, click install, and on the pop-up uncheck the default, then pick browse from the drop-down menu and put your files where you want them.

For CEP, you've got to know where you've got the game installed at. Mine is something like c programfiles x86 origin Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. Once you've found the installation files everything goes forward the same way--you're wanting the base game, I think it is, which is under Double Deluxe, or you're wanting M&G, which is SP9 under Fun With Pets, or wherever what you're installing calls for.

Take a deep breath, poke around your program files, and remember that if you don't do anything but look you won't change anything and nothing will get hurt. Reinstalling Windows (absolute worst case scenario, if you simply must change things) is not that hard. I promise. (In fact, running our computer repair business, my eldest got the job of reinstalling Windows on customers' computers when he was 6. Basically, if you can read, you can reinstall Windows.)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:19 AM
I hardly think reinstalling Windows would be needed for any of this. Worst-case scenario would be reinstalling the game, but as long as you don't remove files, and remember to take backups of the files that the Scriptorium changes, you'll be fine. Make sure the Scriptorium paths lead to the proper folders, and make sure that the files that were supposed to be changed really are changed. Different file paths can confuse the auto installer.

Mootilda's post explains how to manually set the default location for the Clean Installer, so you don't have to choose the folders every time.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 12:28 PM
Default Installing Gunmod's lightning mod
I'm trying to install GunMod's lightning mod but it's really hard, since it can't be done through the scriptorium I've tried doing it manually but the bad grammar is making me confused not really sure what to do and it tells me to replace files in a way that sounds wicked.

First of all:

'' If you have Deluxe you don't install "Nightlife" and the "The Sims 2" folders as they are already included the deluxe folder. As With Double Deluxe you don't install "Nightlife", "Celebration" and "The Sims 2" folders. Continue install your other EP and SP if you have them following Manual Install. ''

I don't get this, what!?? I should install all the new Lights maps in every EP map, but not in Nightlife and the Base?!!?!?

Also, it is telling me to replace the Lights file with Gunmod's lights file, but when you enter GunMod's (example) EP3lights.nlo file you find it empty, while the regular file has a lot of texts and commandos in it (the EA file).

And this:

'' You have The Sims 2, Freetime, OFB, Family Fun Stuff

Open the .zip
Drag The Sims 2, Freetime, OFB folders from the zip into C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
Yes to replace
''

He/she is telling me to replace the whole EA game file!?!?!?!?!

I need to back-up everything...
Forum Resident
#7 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 1:21 PM
I am also trying to figure this out, I looked at it last night and couldn't make sense of it. I'm going to take another look later to see if I can work it out. Good luck!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 1:54 PM
I did it manually, really carefully too, launched the game, it crashed.

I had to reset everything with back-ups...
Mad Poster
#9 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 2:16 PM
Pretty sure you're supposed to put the files into the Program Files location, but in the same folders they point to, and let the files overwrite those that aready are there. You're not supposed to replace the folders entirely.

As an example, if it says to replace the files in the AL folder, you let the files overwrite in this folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSData\Res\Lights
(and the files to replace there are the "downtown_lot.txt", "EP8Lights.nlo" and "Lighting.txt")

And so forth, with all the folders.

But again, I'm unsure of the setup for the UC, so I can't say for sure which folders are different.

Don't let folders overwrite folders. That sometimes creates more troubles than it's worth.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 2:29 PM
Threads merged.

And config files that were instructed to be installed in the Program Files location is understood to be for the most-recently-released pack you have installed. Unless otherwise specified by the modder explicitly. IF the modder is no longer active and has not returned to provide instructions for later packs, the first assumption there still applies.

Are you still tying to install this mod to the Ultimate Collection? TS2_UC: How do I install CC?

Or is UC uninstalled and you're attempting to restore CC to your old pre-UC install? What then, is the most-recently-released pack you have installed?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 4:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

As an example, if it says to replace the files in the AL folder, you let the files overwrite in this folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSData\Res\Lights
(and the files to replace there are the "downtown_lot.txt", "EP8Lights.nlo" and "Lighting.txt")

And so forth, with all the folders.

That was exactly what I did but my game crashed when I launched it, so I restored everything and finally, the scriptorium managed to install it the right way.

No, I am no longer struggeling to install CC and I think I managed to install CEP correct.
I only have The Sims 2 UC installed and I have no other version.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
That was exactly what I did but my game crashed when I launched it, so I restored everything and finally, the scriptorium managed to install it the right way.

No, I am no longer struggeling to install CC and I think I managed to install CEP correct.
I only have The Sims 2 UC installed and I have no other version.

You managed to get the scriptorium to install on the UC?

Would you mind explaining how please?
Forum Resident
#13 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 7:17 PM
Is the EA Games folder still supposed to be in the program files if it's uninstalled? From what I saw the UC is in Origin Games so shouldn't require the EA Games folder at all should it?