Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 6:43 PM
Default Your nursery is not big enough!
Why do all and every cc house artist think I must have no nursery or, at best, a tiny little square room with crib only?? Everything in a nursery takes much room! Every toy in a nursery is taking up so much squares on the floor. It is silly to make a nursery small. A house I downloaded recent I had to remove the pool so I could make extra house for the nursery! I don't understand why you people hate the babies.

This is the smallest I could accept (click image):

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:56 PM
A little off topic, but I looooooooove those nurseries in the pictures. They're beautiful.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 8:59 PM
Not everyone likes playing families with babies, I'm sure it's mostly an oversight of the people who create custom lots.

I just make it a habit of putting homes down on a slightly larger lot than needed in case I need to build up on the houses.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:18 PM
That is one massive nursery. I make my nurseries the size of a normal, small bedroom, so 4x4, 4x5, even 4x3 for really tiny houses. I don't think it's difficult to raise even quads in a nursery of that size! It helps to outsource some of the activities you associate with nurseries, like eating and playing, to other rooms. High chairs can live in the kitchen, toys can be scattered throughout the house (I like to have my babies and toddlers out with the rest of the family anyway, instead of keeping them locked away in their room), and potty chairs can go in the bathroom.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:21 PM
Totally agree with you, Avis!

My highchairs are stationed by where the adults eat / can keep an eye on them while they prepare dinner, and their toys are in the living room while the adults watch TV or have the chance to play with them. The baby potties are in the bathroom with the big people toilets.

My nurseries are usually pretty small with the exception of maybe having a rocking chair / comfy chair for the adult to sit in for appearances. Like they've had a long night, haha.

Edit: Is that nursery separated from the main house??
Scholar
#6 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:49 PM
I don't put nurseries in houses because, in my game, the crib(s) stay in the parental bedroom until the offspring is no longer crib-aged. I tried having a separate nusery in the first family I played, but it annoyed me that no one heard the baby crying.

The high chairs -- which are optional -- get put in the kitchen when they get bought (though there is the "decorative" highchair in the corner of the living room in the main Subject household). The changing table is put wherever it fits and the potty chairs get scattered throughout the house. Heck, there's a potty chair sitting outside the Mint family house like a particularly-trashy lawn ornament (though, to put it in perspective, the Mints also have an outhouse).

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Field Researcher
#7 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 9:50 PM
I think the issue of not finding a nice nursery in downloadable houses is a common one, but it's part of a larger issue--a lot of the (what I consider) midrange downloadable houses are for single sims. I'm talking about houses that cost about 40k to 60k. The point my sims reach that price range is usually the point where they have a baby and a bun in the oven, and moving to a more expensive house that still only has one bedroom seems so silly. If you consider 20k a starter, than twice that ought to have some room for kids, and I know it's not impossible price-wise, either. It just seems builders don't build for kids as often as they do for single sims.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 10:12 PM
In real life your baby if in a separate room they will normally have a crib, change table a box of toys and possibly a built in cupboard. Sometimes people will have the change table in a bathroom or hallway and often babies are right beside their bed. By the toddler years toys tend to be scattered,highchairs are for kitchens and potties often live in bathrooms. Houses don't normally come with nurseries large enough for triplets. I love babies and toddlers and don't want them locked away to one room. I like mine to go outside by toddlerhood as well but sometimes I even take a portable type crib and place a baby in the garden for awhile. I think the largest nursery on a house I have uploaded here is 6 by 5 which includes it's own bathroom because that is an 'upper class' nursery.https://www.modthesims.info/d/523196 otherwise I normalcy fit in crib, change table and fridge.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:14 AM
People upload houses of the type they like to build. If you can't find builders with tastes similar to yours, the only option is to learn to build the houses you like. I'm afraid that's just life; much as, if I want clothes that fit, I have to make my own. It's hard work being on the skinny part of the bell curve. If you find yourself getting good at building houses with big nurseries, be sure to start uploading them.

Personally I like large open spaces that don't cut off my lines of sight, and often have no interior walls downstairs except those necessary to delineate the powder room. Such a house is likely to have the cribs downstairs and any noisemakers upstairs; or to get a new, largish room tacked onto the side when a nursery becomes necessary. If the parents are young and spry I may have the nursery upstairs in an ordinary-sized bedroom, a potty chair in each bathroom, and toys on each floor, so that the baby is hauled up and down a few times a day. A toddler blanket is a great thing in such a house. I also routinely build on as needed, including adding second or even third stories, since raising the roof isn't that big a deal for sim construction workers.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:41 AM
I always make big nurseries. Usually at least 6x6 or thereabout. Actually, I make most rooms big. Otherwise I can't get in a camera sideways, and I hate having to use the zoom buttons because it distorts the picture.
#11 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 2:28 AM
Most of the time I make houses without a nursery in mind. Really fancy big houses with room to spare or houses that are meant for a family with many expected pregnancies may have a nursery. Usually a family expecting their first child(ren) will turn the first empty bedroom into a nursery. Crib goes in the room with perhaps a few toys and the changing table if it can fit. Baby swing, high chair, potty, and toys go elsewhere depending on the house. But if I only have one bedroom for kids and say there's an older kid but a baby, then the crib would have to go in the parents room. Or the hallway. It all depends on space. And then for weird things like the crib in the hallway, I have to ask myself, "Would the parents do this and be okay with it?"
My two Sims Adam and Ashley Piccolo moved into their one bedroom apartment as boyfriend and girlfriend. On one of their dates I had a random moment: I would make their woohoo a Try For Baby and if they conceived, it was meant to be. If they didn't, I wouldn't bother trying again. But she got pregnant. So Adam did the right thing by marrying her, and I had to find space in their already stuffed apartment for just a crib and changing table. They didn't have the baby yet (don't know if I'll ever get to continue playing that hood sadly) but if/when they do things will be hectic. I might have no choice but to make them move.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:31 AM
I have a couple, Dagma the mail lady and David Ottomus who had a one night fling and she ended up pregnant with twins. I probably should have let her give them up for adoption, but I wasn't thinking and married them right away and they raised the babies/toddlers in a one room unit at my Down on your luck hostel. They had to go all the way downstairs for bottles (although I bought them a fridge after a couple of days of that) They squeezed in two, one tile cribs into their room and when they turned toddler they played with the activity table in the communal lounge and they had to take them upstairs to a communal bath tub to give them a wash. Not that I would want to play that way all the time, but it gave me a bit of a challenge. It makes families more interesting if they have different set-ups.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#13 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 7:21 AM
My Sims rarely get nurseries. Maybe the really rich ones, otherwise the crib just gets stuck in the hallway, or in the parents' bedroom, or crammed up next to the computer desk, or in a corner of the kitchen. Kind of like real life, really... Downloadable one-tile cribs/change tables also make it easier to utilise existing space.
Also, nobody gets toys till they're a toddler, at which point they also get a toddler bed (one tile!). They don't all get the same toys, either - I like to mix it up, because having a hood full of toddlers skilling identically isn't much fun. Some families get ALL THE TOYS, others just one or two. If they have room for the drawing table, they get it - if not, tough luck, kid, you'll have to wait till you're old enough for an easel.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 7:37 AM
High chairs go into the kitchen, as does my dining table (preventing Sims from eating everywhere but at the dining table). Toys are scattered throughout the house (because that's the way the head master likes it). Potty goes into the bathroom because I can't imagine leaving a baby sleeping with a stinking potty in the room. Having said that, I also like space for the bed/cot, the nappy changing station and a chair for the parent to sit on, enough space to move without bumping into each other all the time. I normally don't have a separate nursery, but use one of the spare bed rooms (there has to be at least 2 bedrooms in any house before I'd donwload it ).
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 8:38 AM
I always put the potty in the bathroom unless there isn't enough room and even then I try to shift stuff around to accommodate it. I deleted the bath in favour of a shower once (and then had nowhere to bathe the toddler XD) so I'd have enough room for it, because the only other place with room was right next to the dog's bowl and even though the dog didn't care I kept imagining trying to eat with a smelly potty right beside you. DX

I also put the highchair in the kitchen/dining room. Noone I know eats dinner in their bedroom.

Only my richest houses would have a separate nursery. Usually the room I appropriate for the nursery is then converted into the child's room once they grow up. So, a baby has a crib and changing table and maybe a Danglemonster and a toddler gets a teddy and a skilling toy, then I ditch the crib and changing table for a bed and toybox.
Undead Molten Llama
#16 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:37 AM
To me, dedicated nurseries are for rich folks who have no interest in raising their kids themselves. So, there's a dedicated room for the trophy crotchfruit that get dressed up and trotted out occasionally to be shown off to/compared with other similar families with trophy children. Such nurseries will have a studio apartment for the live-in nanny right next door in an otherwise disused wing of the house so that no one has to be bothered by toddler noise/silliness/smelliness/appalling dirtiness/annoying-ness. Then, when the kid gets to be kindergarten-aged, off they go to boarding school. And I'll have a family like that maybe once in a blue moon.

More generally, my playing, for whatever reason, tends to favor large families housed in teeny-tiny houses, and I like it that way because...I don't know...because I'm nuts. So, it's always a game of "cram 'em in there!" Babies and toddlers generally have cribs in their parents' room. If it's a single kid, I'll use Honeywell's "Haffa" nursery furniture so that a crib and a change table fits on two tiles and doesn't look stupid. If it's twins, it'll be two one-tile cribs and there may not be a changing table anywhere on the lot. The parents just change the kid(s) without a table and then compost the dirty diapers that litter the floor. Oftentimes, a closet has to be sacrificed to make room for the crib(s)/changing table because often the parents' bedroom is 4x4 (big enough for a double bed with two night stands; that's all they get) with a little extra 2x1 niche for a closet/dresser. So, for the duration of the baby/toddlerhood, no one gets to change their clothes unless there's another closet/dresser/hacked coat rack somewhere in the house...and there often isn't because of no room.

Potty chairs go wherever I can fit them, as close to the kid's crib as possible so that the kid doesn't have to be schlepped far when it wakes up with an exploding bladder. Usually this means it's in the same room as the crib, which means in the parents' bedroom, if there's room. I consider it good incentive to keep the damned thing clean. There's never any room in bathrooms because those all tend to be 2x3 in my small houses, which fits a sink, a toilet, and a tub/shower, with no room left over. Plus, in the really large families with only one bathroom (like, 8 or 12 people; one of my households in one of my current neighborhoods is like that. Two parents, eight kids all child-age and under. It's age-modded, so childhood lasts a long time. Three (small) bedrooms, one bathroom, lotsa bunk beds), that one bathroom is rigorously scheduled, so there's no time for someone to stand in there for an hour pulling faces while the toddler decides whether or not it's actually going to excrete. Just...no. So sometimes potties will go in a hallway, if there is one and space is available. If all else fails...it goes outside. HAH! Just imagine the "When I was your age, son..." stories they can tell their grandkids! ("When I was your age, son, I had to crawl half a mile uphill both ways in chin-deep snow just to pee, so don't you whine to me about not having a cell phone!") High chairs are always in kitchen/dining rooms...if there is a high chair. There isn't always. Some pixel kids don't get a meal consisting of solid food until they're ready for kindergarten. Toys go wherever. Every household does get the basic three, even if one or more of them has to be put outside. And, like others have said, I prefer them to be scattered around the house so that the toddler isn't sequestered away like something that needs to be hidden.

And then, when the kid hits child age...It's time to move into a bunkroom with siblings. I've been known to cram four kids into a 3x3 bedroom. (Two sets of bunkbeds fit just fine.) Pixel kids aren't like real kids. They don't live their entire lives in their bedroom. I'd rather them be in the house's public rooms, being, you know, social creatures interacting with other family members and guests so that they don't grow up to be socially-stunted internet-addicted iPod-wearing cellphone-texting hermits.

So, um...Yeah, nurseries? Ain't happening. But, you know, that's just my play style. OTOH, I build to suit that playstyle, as I imagine most people do, and I occasionally share what I build. Such lots wouldn't be compatible with people with different playstyles, of course. And that's OK. The trick is to either A) Find folks who build for the way you play, too, or B) Build your own lots, so that they can be exactly what you want them to be. Don't be demanding that people build what you (General "you" here, not addressed to anyone in particular) want. If you want something specific, then you need to make it yourself. And then, indeed, share, because I'm sure there are other folks who have the same wants/requirements that you have.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 10:04 AM
You can easily put a one tile dresser instead of a night stand beside the bed, iCad. I currently play a hood with everybody living in tiny apartments and there are no bedrooms bigger than 4x4. This one started out as a test hood and I used downloaded apartments, that have very tiny bedrooms.

I usually built my own houses and apartments and make the bedrooms bigger, but I still put the highchair in the kitchen or dining room and scatter toys everywhere, even when there are already a lot of them in the child's bedroom or nursery. I also put the baby toys everywhere, so the baby can be put close to where the parents are.

The activity table placed at a 45 degree angle only has a one tile footprint instead of the usually four tile one and can still be used perfectly fine. So I usually cram that in somewhere. Sims sometimes walk through it, but that doesn't really bother me.
Scholar
#18 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 10:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
To me, dedicated nurseries are for rich folks who have no interest in raising their kids themselves.

Same here.
Because I assume wealthy peple may have a dedicated room for everything

Seems kind of realistic, I guess.
I've never ever seen any house IRL which has a dedicated nursery. If the house is roomy enough, a bedroom can be used as nursery while the kid is a baby. And as he grows, it gets converted into a proper bedroom again.
Gosh, as a child I did not have a bedroom myself, only a folding bed in our tiny sitting room

Not that I always play realistic, but some little details as families having room problems and sharing and arguing because they want a place of their own fit in my gameplay.

And, as others said, that's why I ended up building to suit my own tastes. And even sharing my creations.
I must admit the whole building&sharing concept has engaged me much more in the Sims 2 world! :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#19 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 12:22 PM
Usually when I build houses without any specific family in mind for moving in, I have a 6x6 bedroom for the parent(s) with 1 or 2 4x4 smaller bedrooms for any children that move in/are born. 4x4 is fine sized for my nurseries because I only really put in a crib, occasionally a changing table, a toy box and another toddler toy. I don't always use changing tables because in real life, everyone I know has always used changing mats or just changed their baby on the floor so I often forget. There's usually a potty in the hallway upstairs (or bathroom if it's a thin hallway) and in the livingroom downstairs (seeing as that's where sims spend a lot of their time) - but to be honest, in my game I have a habit of never teaching toddlers to potty train because it distracts me too much from playing the other sims in the household. I also don't tend to use high-chairs much, just because my Sims annoy the crap out of me when they put the baby in, feed it, and then take it out before they even got a chance to eat... then they just leave it on the floor and feed it a bottle

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#20 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 1:37 PM
One tile dressers are seriously sanity savers; especially the ones that look like end tables.

When I download a house with a nursery I usually denursery it. My sims don't have endless babies and there are more useful things I could use the room for. If you download a house without a nursery and want one then it shouldn't be hard to redesignate a room as a nursery.

Only my one currently uber rich family has a nursery and it's exactly as iCad described. The butler has the room next door and is expected to do all the childcare duties, so the parents aren't bothered during their moneymaking and serial shagging pursuits (Fortune and Romance).
Mad Poster
#21 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 3:05 PM Last edited by simsfreq : 22nd Jul 2014 at 10:30 AM.
Ooh, I didn't know the activity table could be used on the diagonal. Great tip!

I just have the child's future bedroom as a nursery. Is that not what people usually do? If there's a bed in there stick it in the attic or inventory for now (although inventory sometimes breaks beds). Sim couples without children often use the spare bedrooms as an office, exercise room, art studio, etc.

The only houses I have with nurseries like that are the Curious household, who currently have a total of 5 alien toddlers, and the Aspirs, who had triplets (poor Elizabeth!)
#22 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 4:55 AM
Aww, even though that nursery isn't even connected to the house, it's so cute! Also where'd you get the transparent UI thingy?

Staying on task though, I usually have bland nurseries in a basic bedroom. Even though it would be fun to give my babies/toddlers adorable huge nurseries, I tend to not really care about that sort of thing all that much. Besides, they aren't babies/toddlers for very long, so...
Scholar
#23 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 6:38 AM
I have babies in with the parents, toddlers share with older siblings. Lots of cute bonding that way. Oh, and the toddlers and pets are so adorable!

IRL, my 'baby' (he's five, almost six...) still sleeps in our room in a separate bed. Lots of tickles and hugs and rough-housing before bed. I wish sims could rough-house with their kids.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Undead Molten Llama
#24 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 8:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by abel1980
You can easily put a one tile dresser instead of a night stand beside the bed, iCad.

Oh, I know I could. I choose not to. In my little Sim world, kids = sacrifice on many levels. For instance, the NPC nannies aren't allowed in my game, ever. The only "nannies" allowed are ones that the family moves in and feeds and pays, and to do that they have to have a large-enough house and be at certain levels in their careers and have a certain amount of cash on hand, etc. The requirements are pretty exorbitant, by my rules, so it's very rare that any of my families meet them. So, if my little pixels have a kid, then someone's giving up their job until the youngest kid goes to school, which can be a long time if they keep poppin' 'em out. And it makes it tough on single parents. Also, no expanding the house is allowed unless they happen to have enough cash on hand to do so. And since I tend to keep my pixels poor, not many do. And, it might mean that they have to give up their wardrobe for a while, too, not to mention having to share their room with a stinky, crying baby/toddler.

Basically, it's just how I like to play, even though it drives ME insane sometimes. Like I said, I'm nuts.

That said, I didn't realize that the activity table would work on the diagonal, so thanks for that tip. Now some of my pixel anklebiters might actually get one. Because it's rare that I have a four-tile space available for...Well, anything, actually. There's a reason why I make my pixels skill on community lots.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 9:02 AM
I guess it's realistic, that the parents might not have time to wash their clothes and have to run around in underwear or pjs, if they don't manage time for a shower.
Managing to put as many babies/toddlers/kids as possible can be fun. My current sims can't really expand their lodgings anyway, as they are all in apartments, and there definitely aren't any unused 4 floor tiles around anywhere.
Page 1 of 3