Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 1:36 PM
Replacing audio cues and/or music?
So, here's what's up.

Basically, what I've been trying to do ever since The Sims 3 came out is replace the music in the game (Most notably the base game build and buy music which is annoying as crap). I realized this was a little far fetched and gave up on it, but just last night I thought of something.

Is it even possible to replace such files? For example, the cue that plays when a wish is fulfilled is annoying. VERY annoying. And way too dramatic. I don't need to hear angelic, positive, heavenly choirs when I take out the trash. That's just dumb.

What I want is basically the Sims 2 audio cue that plays when you fulfill a wish, but for The Sims 3.
I'm not asking for someone to make a mod of this (feel free to do so), but I want to know how to do this myself. Unfortunately I don't really know that much about modding when it comes to TS2 and TS3. But if there are tools available to extract stuff like audio files and music, and then decode and repack them to use in TS3 as a default replacement, I'd love to use those.

I'm probably being a little vague, but I'm sure you get the idea.
Does anyone even know if this is possible?

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 6:17 PM
There's been work done on it, for sure. TL,DR version of the outcome: extracting audio from the game is possible, and it can be converted to conventional, playable formats using known tools. Inserting audio into the game hasn't been shown to be possible. There is a forum thread, but I have forgotten where.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 8:38 PM
I see. I was aware of it being possible to extract audio. I really hope someone will find a way to actually replace audio in the game at some point. It would allow me to create a great amount of audio mods.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 9:28 PM
I think there were a few mods floating around that replaced Sims 3 music with Sims 2 music.

I.e. this one:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=480079
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=480231

I've been looking around hoping for a full-scale conversion mod, though.
Test Subject
#5 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 3:48 AM
Don't know about mods, but I'm pretty sure you can play around with the audio settings and mute some sound effects. I personally mute in-game music because it annoys me to no end for some reason, and is the same volume no matter where it is in the house.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by endlessgalaxy
Don't know about mods, but I'm pretty sure you can play around with the audio settings and mute some sound effects. I personally mute in-game music because it annoys me to no end for some reason, and is the same volume no matter where it is in the house.

I know that's possible, but the thing is, I don't want the sounds disabled. I just want them replaced.