Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 7:48 PM
Default Gender of Sims 2 players
A member I thought was female for a long time was actually male. Made me wonder the overall gender makeup of the Sims 2 players here.

I'm female, I think.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 7:57 PM
I'm a female. I often wonder how many people think i'm male with my username and picture (which now i'm thinking of changing to Stella Terrano, I do love Stella Terrano :lovestruc )

My username came about because when I was a junior in high school a friend one grade ahead of me, her nickname was Wicked, and seniors would "pass down" stuff to the younger students and she decided to pass down her nickname to me and deemed me "Wicked Jr" and it just kinda stuck when I couldn't think of a username back then and I added the 89 because that's my birth year. My Real Life name is Stephanie

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 7:59 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Oct 2016 at 9:36 PM.
I am (and always have been) female, but for some reason some people think I'm male online. No idea why...

I'm not particularly feminine (the stereothypical kind - nowadays the gender roles are kinda fluid anyway) in RL. Not particularly masculine, either. Maybe somewhere in between. I am who I am, and that works for me. My more feminine sides sometimes tend to peek out from hiding when I play sims, though.
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 8:05 PM
I'm female, as you may have guessed if you saw my simself in the Female Sims thread (Mcshitbag will never trump Candi, so she's not my profile picture) and hopefully I've done a good job at conveying that.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 8:11 PM
I'm so cis female I don't even feel like gender is performative. Whatever I do - that's feminine. By definition. I don't wear makeup and that's totally feminine. If I wanted to work on cars or play football, bang, they'd be feminine! A comfortable feeling, but when dealing with people for whom gender is more complicated I have to watch myself for condescension and obnoxious assumptions.

The "male default" is reversed in simming environments. I assume every simmer is some flavor of female till I learn otherwise.

Way back when I first got online and joined aol with the username PeniG (I always use either that or Peni Griffin; anonymity feels wrong to me), I learned after several months that a lot of people (including the best friend I made there) when they first saw the username assumed I was a 13-year-old boy who tried to slip in with a distinctively male anatomical username and substituted a capital G for an S when prevented. A really weird first impression to make, but I overcame it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 8:12 PM
Male here for sure.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
I'm a female. I often wonder how many people think i'm male with my username and picture (which now i'm thinking of changing to Stella Terrano, I do love Stella Terrano :lovestruc )

I thought you were male, oops I know it says on a lot of peoples profiles what gender they are, but I don't check for everybody.

I'm female. I don't think anyone has ever thought anything different? but please tell me if you did.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 8:26 PM
Gender norms, psh. There isn't anything wrong with being feminine, masculine, or anything else. Any combination.

I have a buzz cut, don't wear make up and am generally not that typically feminine, though I am more so now then when I was a child. I was that little girl that hated to be put in dresses (and was always forced to be in them), hated having long hair but wasn't allowed to get it cut because "you're a girl sweety", sorry if I sound annoyed, I still don't get why people do that to children. It's their hair, their clothes as long as they are wearing something or weather-appropriate if anything (don't want to freeze or have heatstroke), and gender norms are silly if you ask me. Everyone should just be free to be themselves as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

But because I don't wear typical feminine clothes, wear makeup, and have a buzz cut (that my hubby does for me) I end up getting crap for it sometimes and even confused in real life for a male, at least from the back with my short hair or on the videos i've made on youtube where they could only see my face, seems I have a low voice but people in RL say I sound like a girl *shrugs*. I'm a cis woman and it physically shows. I've had people see me from behind then see my front and go "omg I thought you were a dude, why do you have short hair?"

Edit: @Bigsimsfan12 lol I figured people did and do think i'm a male. I don't care, it doesn't matter here anyway.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 8:56 PM
Female. I've learned (through being thoroughly wrong multiple times) that one should not make any kind of assumptions based on username or avatar. It's hard to beat the unconscious part that starts out thinking simmers are female, since a majority of us are, but I'm working on re-wiring my thoughts to not make assumptions regardless of name, appearance or traits, and go with something neutral until the person makes known what they are. In simming community and in life

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 9:10 PM
I'm genderfluid: sometimes male, sometimes female, sometimes none of the above (agender). They/them.

Before I realized I was genderfluid (thinking I was just a ciswoman), people online would think I was a guy sometimes. I'd probably be flattered if somebody did that now. I'm afab and very much look the part IRL. My hair is shorter than the average woman's these days, ranging from chin-length to shoulder-length, but that's about it. I don't get the feeling anyone would take me seriously if I were out in public, especially since I live in a relatively conservative area.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 9:14 PM
Male, but mistaken for female with some regularity on this site. Never been worked up over it- it does me absolutely no harm. Only reason I even bother listing it is because commonly spoken English doesn't have a good gender-neutral pronoun for people to use.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 9:43 PM
I am female, and reasonably happy to be female too. Many people think my first name is male, though, which has and will continue to lead to some being surprised (and some fun) when they actually meet me or talk to me on the phone instead of via e-mail
Mad Poster
#14 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 10:23 PM
I'm a human being, (although you'd never know it from my profile picture.) and a female one, which is indicated by my user name.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Field Researcher
#15 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 10:33 PM
I'm female. I'm not sure whether people would mistake me as a male by my username and actions, but I doubt it. I have been mistaken for a male a couple of times online though. I presume that's because they've read my nickname (Chris) and assumed I was a male, but that's happened all my life even offline.

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)
#16 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 10:35 PM
wow i can't believe how many people i have gotten it wrong on so far who's responded to this thread......
Scholar
#17 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 10:35 PM
Female. never been mistaken for male.

My username is a compound of my lastname and given name. I don't know many male name ending with -INA (my real name is Lina) so people probably could guess my gender right.. IRL I was a tomboy in the past, but now rather feminine, appearance/clothing wise (aspiring makeup artist). My feminine interests sort of clash with the way I play the game, such as patriarch heavy playstyle and where women are often housewifes, but most aspect of the game is the complete opposite of my opinions about them in the real world. Although I'm leaning toward a-sexually (technically straight but no interests in dating/romance), but If I was dating, the guy would be the ones who clean and cook. MWHAHAHA

Unless its a chat or penpal type of site, i dont really care about the gender of the other users. Its not like you are seeking for speed dating or best buddies on here, eh?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 10:51 PM
I'm female, 50, married with two kids.

I knew that wickedjr89 was female as she has said things that indicate that such as mentioning husband and offspring. If I am unsure I check a posters profile or if it doesn't say I just say 'their'.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#19 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 11:05 PM
Since I made my Simsona, Andrea Blu, to resemble me in the game, you can assume I'm definitely a woman. Even in my experience playing WoW, I hardly ever played with male characters although I do find male blood elves adorable enough to try. I only had one player in-game who dared me to post a pic of myself to prove I am indeed female or else they'll assume I'm another guy behind a female character. Needless to say, I never did so because I don't care what others would think of me.

The first three letters of my username happens to be my full initials, and that's how I dreamed up of the name years ago.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 11:13 PM
Someone on line years ago kept insisting that I was male, I posted back, "with this cesarean scar I surly hope not." I like pretty things, I'm quite feminine; but yes I also like to take out my bow and arrow add some spider poison to it and shoot a falmer in skyrim with one shot bah haha. My user name is my name and my daughters name and our old house number.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 11:17 PM
Eh, I think 'sex' is the biological component and 'gender' is more psychological; I'm saying this as someone who's mildly anti-SJW.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 11:21 PM Last edited by wickedjr89 : 8th Oct 2016 at 11:33 PM.
There are people that are born intersex and don't actually fit the typical definitions of biologically male or female at birth. Some are obvious right away, some are not.

Resource: Medical science

My Simblr
He/They
#23 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 11:22 PM
Looks at Marka's post.....

well this was a fun thread..... Now i'm out before the floodgates open.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 12:08 AM
Quote:
There is only 2 genders that you can be born with and that is what I go by.

Technically it's 2 if you go by the downstairs bits, plus an additional 'unsure' variant, where the downstairs aren't fully developed one way or another (with different variants). I'm not sure if there are cases of being both, though.

And when the kid gets old enough to understand there's such a thing as gender, things can get confusing if they don't identify as the role their "downstairs" area showcase.
Instructor
#25 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 12:11 AM
Female, although I usually use musculine(doesn't sound like musculine for most western language, though)or gender-neutral handlename online. My real name can be translated like 'radiant garden'.
Page 1 of 9