Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 7:57 AM
Default Green Thumb Stilt Cabin
Alright, I got another green house to show for my next upload, although this one has much more flora than my previous Benson Mansion. Reasoning behind this creation is to suit a character in my game who has more than just a green thumb, and one could say he's obsessed over the color green. As you can see from my images I focused majorly on the outdoors, and only provided basic furnishings and some other stuff in the house.

Let me know what you think.

P.S. I just noticed the white ceilings as I was taking screenshots, so I'll plan to use the same wooden floor as I did for the outside balconies.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 3:56 PM
I think that tent in the yard indicates a kink for tent woohoo.

Otherwise, I can't make any judgments without a floorplan.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 6:40 PM
I completely forgot about the floor plan. Sorry about that. XD
Screenshots
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 5:48 AM
Im not a expert builder however i will tell some details and try to help.
First i like the garden with a lot of plants, the garden its well, however you can move the palm tree ( in the left corner. ) more to the edge to avoid that the leaves goes to bedroom.
Second in the porch have too many columns, you can try to deleting the 2 columns right and left to the door and will be perfect.
Third you can try to put a more green wallpaper in the kitchen ( with a color like the bedroom or living room.) ( or even wood. ) to match the kitchen with the rest of the house.
Last you can try change ( think first about it, im not sure.) the distribution of the bathroom with closet, the wardrobe can be accesed by the bedroom to more funcionality. I like the house, specially the garden
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2017 at 7:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by franfeliano
Im not a expert builder however i will tell some details and try to help.
First i like the garden with a lot of plants, the garden its well, however you can move the palm tree ( in the left corner. ) more to the edge to avoid that the leaves goes to bedroom.
Second in the porch have too many columns, you can try to deleting the 2 columns right and left to the door and will be perfect.
Third you can try to put a more green wallpaper in the kitchen ( with a color like the bedroom or living room.) ( or even wood. ) to match the kitchen with the rest of the house.
Last you can try change ( think first about it, im not sure.) the distribution of the bathroom with closet, the wardrobe can be accesed by the bedroom to more funcionality. I like the house, specially the garden

Updated the house in most everything suggested here. I even changed several other walls around the house to make it greener than before.

Only thing I left unchanged is the wardrobe in the bathroom; instead I added an identical dresser in the bedroom that is one-tile wide. Originally the bathroom was equally as spacious as the kitchen, thus I was figuring out how to use the space efficiently. Also, an indoor spa used to fit inside before I added in those walls.
Theorist
#6 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 2:19 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 28th Jul 2017 at 2:32 AM.
Pool tables do not work properly unless they have 2 empty squares around all sides (except possibly at the corners where one empty square might be enough).
Yes, if you test the pool table with 2 Sims, they will start to play normally, but they quickly get in each other's way as as soon as one Sim needs to shoot from a square where the other Sim is standing. When this happens, they will not move out of each other's way, but will instead abort the game. (You can easily test this yourself. Place a pool table out in the open and have 2 Sims start a game. If you observe carefully, you will notice that the non-shooting Sim always stands 2 squares away from the table, in order to give the shooting Sim room to shoot.)
It's unfortunate, but for this reason pool tables should really only be placed in the biggest of mansions, with 2 empty squares all around them. Pool tables basically need a big room all to themselves.

The only exception to all of this is if you only ever intend for 1 Sim to use the table (to practice?). In that case, I'm pretty sure the Sim can play normally.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 8:49 AM
So, I did upload this cabin concept shortly after my previous comment and didn't get a great score from it.

Should I try to improve what was required for this current lot, or should I start over with a brand new house from scratch?

I have already begun with the latter option, but I want to know if this home is good enough that I only need to apply the changes to improve it. I do want to keep the concept of having a home stand on supported beams or poles as shown here.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 2:39 PM
I am late here, so I am not going to make a lot of suggestions or anything, but the house is very pretty outside, and looks quite colorful and pretty, so I will recommend trying to improve on the requirements
Theorist
#9 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 4:44 PM
Wow, this lot looks like a potpourri of almost everything in the game.
Lets see, there's a house on stilts, an oversized greenhouse, fruit trees that for some reason are inside the greenhouse, two of those axe-throwing target thingies, the aforementioned pool table (in the bedroom), a tent, a moat, Victorian lampposts, an outdoor chess table, an outdoor easel, a hammock in-between two palm trees, psychedelic doors, psychedelic wallpaper, and probably a few lesser things I'm not noticing.

Ironically, there is no kitchen sink.

Sometimes I think people upload things just for laughs.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 7:50 PM
Okay, I have time now:
1. I like the concept and it looks happy to me.
2. Too many pillars under the house, I think. one in each corner should do. Perhaps move the tent in there as well.
3. I think the softer green outside is really nice, and I will suggest toning down a bit on the inside of the house. There is a lot of different greens inside, try to change the floors. Try white or cream tiles/carpets and perhaps a pink one in the bedroom (I would change the bedding too).
4. I would put the pool table in the living room and make a wall in that bedroom, and then use the extra room for the hobby work stations.
5. You can make the greenhouse smaller and take out the flowers, they don't need to be there. I have no idea (above comment) why fruit trees could not be in a greenhouse, but if it is a problem, plant them somewhere else.
6. With the columns under the house brown, I would suggest using brown stairs as well, or not that green ones, and change the roof color to a lighter shade.
7. I am not sure if the pond is wide enough for fishing, I think it needs to be - so perhaps make it a bit larger on the side of the greenhouse/tent/tree.
8. The flower borders are pretty and I like the rest of the garden
Mad Poster
#11 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 9:31 PM
If you rearrange the pottery wheel and the florist bench, you can have a more interesting layout in the living room and make the bath/dressing suite of rooms (an extremely interesting idea!) accessible from the living room. If you move the towels to the foot of the tub (you could move the wall light, or do it with move_objects) you can also have direct access to the bath area from the bedroom; and you already have free wall space for a door between bedroom and lavatory. That may be too many doors; but consider the prediliction of guests to congregate in bathrooms, and which rooms you want the residents and any guests to have to walk through to reach the facilities. Though lavatory, shower, wardrobe is a logical progression for the morning routine, once you get two residents in the house you'll want more flexibility; and consider the poor guests getting trapped in the wardrobe because somebody decided to take a bubble bath or needed the commode!

I see no problem with having fruit trees in the greenhouse. It doesn't do them any good in a vanilla game, but there's a hack that keeps them from going dormant in winter inside a greenhouse, and it doesn't make any sense to have citrus trees out in the open in a temperate climate. Even trees in Florida and the Rio Grande Valley get frostbitten occasionally; in an area suitable to this cabin, they'd never realistically bear at all outside a greenhouse.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 9:35 PM
Great, now ScaryRob decided to make fun of my work.

No, I'll just start over from scratch with a brand new home or not at all. Thanks anyway.

And ScaryRob, don't make a mockery of what I did. Criticism like that is what discourages people.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 11:26 PM
The rest of us are taking it seriously, so ignore him. That sort of criticism has nothing to do with the object, and is 100% about the speaker, so it would be absurd to let it influence you, one way or another.

Starting over from scratch is hardly called for. This is a perfectly good concept that only wants a little tweaking and some good pictures. When you go to upload, make sure you take a close-up floorplan of just the house, so details leap out. I had to study that pic for a long time even to figure out how you were supposed to get into the bathroom suite. Remember your moderator may not have very sharp eyesight!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 11:41 PM
@ScaryRob read over the sticky thread
Quote:
Please stick to constructive feedback only! No, "This sucks," or "I don't like it," type comments

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 11:42 PM
I did not know about the fruit tree mod - so solved, they can be in the greenhouse. Thanks, Peni

Never let anyone put you down, kamoodle5 - and I also think you don't need to start over. You also do not have to follow all our suggestions - thinking about what we say may give you better ideas. I really like the house, the moment I saw it I had a positive feeling. It is a more ambitious built, so it may take a little longer, don't give up on it. (I certainly had to redo and resubmit buildings and I think Peni too, so don't worry about that part at all).
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 2:29 AM
I do put everyone's good suggestions into consideration, and sometimes I even expand on them and become creative. As sensitive as I can be, my sudden surrender over the project was uncalled for which I do apologize for.

As for your number seven suggestion, Justpetro, I didn't intend on making the stream big enough for fishing, although I do see a pond a possibility if I make the greenhouse smaller or remove some of the "pillars" that support the house. The stream could feed onto the pond as well.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 8:23 AM
No need to apologize, I have definitely felt like surrendering at times too. Please expand, ignore, improve the suggestions until you are creative

I don't think the pond needs to be big, just big enough for a little bit of fishing, because I always see fishing and gardening going together for sims who loves nature.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 11:37 AM
Critique is an art, both in the giving and in the receiving. The more you do it, the easier it will be to sift the useful feedback from the rest. Not everyone who offers a critique will grasp what you're trying to do, not all will express themselves well, and only a few will home in on what exactly is keeping your work from filling your vision. You take what you need and leave the rest. It's your name going on the thing, not ours, and only you can know how to solve any problems it has. All we can do is try to point you in the right direction.

Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Aug 2017 at 3:27 AM
Alright, let's see how the lot looks now.

Any helpful feedback is still appreciated. :P
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#20 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 10:25 AM
The interior layout is looking much better, well done I don't think those stepping stones look right inside the house though (they are meant for placing in grass). I noticed that the fridge is in front of a window, could you swap that to the other side of the kitchen?. And I wouldn't have a fire pit/bonfire underneath the house I'd be inclined to add a fence at the end of the driveway to stop the cars from heading into the pond.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Inventor
Original Poster
#21 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 3:09 AM
Updated with the new changes made.

Instead of deleting the stepping stones, I placed them outside at the foot of the two stairs to the greenhouse. I removed the campfire, I added a bench in front of the pond (although it's not in the third screenshot) and placed back one of the axe-throwing stations. The fence I chose in front of the creak is to compliment the house's windows.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#22 Old 6th Aug 2017 at 7:53 AM
Looking prettier, I love the ceiling Good place for the pond too. Perhaps you can put the fence at the back and sides too, I cannot see all, but I think it will look nice at the back.
Inventor
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 10:10 PM
Alright, got the lot uploaded but there is another small recommendation I got from the moderator who approved the lot, and that was to situate the two stairs to the side instead of having them stick out. I will include screenshots of the further changes I made, and if you agree it looks better then I will edit my upload with an updated package file.

Sorry to those who have already downloaded the lot.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#24 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 10:49 PM
That does look nice!