Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2015 at 10:48 PM
Default How can I create a game?
Like the title says. I want to create a game of my own, but I don't have any programming skills. I dunno if this is even the right section for this thread, but the idea I've had for this game I want to make has been bugging me for a while. What is a good, easy-to-learn program I can start with? Also, when I finish the game, where can I upload it? Is Steam a good place to upload, or...?

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 31st May 2015 at 11:44 PM
There are tools to make games without knowledge of coding, but in order to get things the way you want them without the use of templates etc. is to learn coding. It'll take a while, but it'll be worth it.

There's a lot of languages out there, so I guess it really depends on what you want to do. If you're not ready to jump into some complicated language, you can start with HTML, work your way to CSS and JavaScript, then climb the ladder from there. Try Khan Academy or W3Schools to get you started. Notepad++ is a free program to work in and is compatible with a majority of languages.

I don't know about steam, sure you can probably easily get it greenlit and have it sitting in the Early Access section, but Early Access games have a bad rap, so there's that.

If the whole coding thing is getting you down, remember, there are other mediums of expression like writing. Good luck!
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 31st May 2015 at 11:47 PM
First thing to do is get programming skills. Pick a programming language and learning. There are tons of free online resources.

From what I've seen, Unity is a pretty popular program in the game-creating community.

You could upload it onto Kongregate. Tons of gamers go there and you're likely to get good feedback and critiques.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 8:05 PM
Thanks, guys. The game may take a while to make - I wanna make a RPG/fantasy/adventure type game. Any good programs for that?

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Inventor
#5 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 10:25 PM
This is for using C# in the Unity engine
Some stuff for using Source SDK

I forgot to mention, but most people learn to code and make games through modding. Small stuff like TS3 XML mods can get you semi-started.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 4:23 PM
@Graveyard Snowflake

You could start simple, first as a text adventure, then 2D with GameMakerPro, then 2D coded game with sprites, and finally 3D game out of that. That will give you a lot of experience, but will last a lot longer than expected. If you really want to make that game faster, you should consider making a team. However, if you get skilled enough, you could do it.

There's just one guy that made the open-universe exploration engine with over the billions of galaxies and a lot of real universe data, so why couldn't you, alone, make a simple RPG?

And also, try out "The New Boston" tutorials. Those are mostly beginner and advanced programming tutorials, but there are also some about Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Adobe CS, Photoshop and Surviving Wilderness... What to say... usefull guy :D