Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 4:21 AM
Delphy: With regards to the customizable links in the Thanks toolbar, links such as those we can put in the "My Links" menu in the navbar. Instead of it being a dropdown, they'd just be there, next to eachother. My main reason for this is that the new navbar is a bit borked. Perhaps it's a firefox issue, sometimes when I click to open a menu, it just kind of freaks out and moves across the top of the screen and settles on the far left side. Sometimes it only shows a small portion of the menu. Sometimes it randomly opens the child menus of that particular drop down.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 6:03 AM
Please delete my account. I cannot find how to do it. Perhaps, as a site suggestion - this would be a good idea.

Again, please delete my account and all included information. And Do NOT edit my replies.
Test Subject
#28 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 7:25 AM
Thanks Delphy. I'm working on fixing the 2 I have access to. :0)

OOPS! Sorry,! I was working on High Rollers and forgot to log out to post this.

~porkypine
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 7:38 AM
More skins, that's all I can think of that you could implement without major help from EAxis or the community.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#30 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 8:12 AM
Brutuz: More skins as in skintones? Becuase that has nothing to do with the site technically - thats a creation thing and is up to the creators. This thread is about improving the site as a whole, not custom content.

Gangreless: I use firefox extensively and I don't get any menu problems as you describe. The only time I have seen them is when your browser can't load the menu javascript. I don't think moving the My Links to that bar would be useful since the bar appears only on Download threads, and nowhere else.

Sims3Addicted: I think the point here is that you want to see some "member chosen" downloads, correct? Well, the vast majority of the Picked downloads are, in fact, member chosen. So you can use this as a guide to what people like.

Purplepaws: I'll have a look and see how feasible it is to change that to multi-select.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Anime Addict
#31 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 8:50 AM
I think Brutuz means more skins as in more site colours, like the Blue Skies, Mint Tea.
I personally agree, and would love to see more Site Styles come into effect.

My Alter Ego's
MTS | The Sim Supply | The Exchange

"I used to have Multiple Personality Disorder but we're ok now"
"Click here to find out how to keep an idiot busy for hours"
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#32 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 1:36 PM
Considering we already have 12 selectable styles and colour schemes, and adding more is a fair bit of work colour matching things, and takes a lot of time, I'm not inclined to add any more right now - especially when so few people use something other than the default.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#33 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 1:36 PM
Experimental RO ftw!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#34 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 1:44 PM
Purplepaws: Pattern in-game category has been changed to multi-select, and I have removed the old "Multiple (for sets only)" type. This means you can now assign a pattern set to multiple in-game categories, and they will now show on the filter.

Lab Assistant
#35 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 6:17 PM
I see a little bug here, the "You have X favorite creators" icon mouse-over text did not update after I removed all creators from my list.

Yes, that's Portuguese, but you can understand what I mean. I couldn't screenshot the mouse-over text (disappears when pressing shift or ctrl) but going to right-click properties shows it.
Also, I would like if we could choose the icons shown up there. I frequently check my scorecard, but it would be nice to see more icon stats in there.
Edit: Also, I like the shiny new toolbar on the downloads, but it needs more stuff.

Check my creations! http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=2248130
The Portuguese simmers group! Clicky!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#36 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 6:58 PM
That's probably a caching issue - just wait a while.

Lab Assistant
#37 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 8:16 PM
A big while, since I've already removed them a few days ago.

Field Researcher
#38 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Gangreless: I don't think moving the My Links to that bar would be useful since the bar appears only on Download threads, and nowhere else.

I might be blind...but what/where is this "My Links" you speak of?

And if that's the case, could perhaps the bar be added to all pages so universal buttons could apply?

Also, I actually don't notice the bar unless I specifically look for it. This goes a little against most of the comments on it being too obtrusive. It blends into my browser too much (which could just be my browser setup)...a black line along the bottom would help it stand out, I think. Kind of like the nav bar has at the top.

Diving into delerium yet again.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#39 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 8:57 PM
That not removing the icon when the number goes to zero is a bug, but the more I think about it the more I wonder what the use of that icon actually is - I mean, most creators don't really need to have a constant reminder of how many people they have as favourite creators - the more interesting stats would be better.

tlynnjpeg: My Links is top right, but it only appears if you actually HAVE custom links setup.... which you do through your Edit Quick Links screen (found in User Tools).

I already added Thread Tools to the bar, but otherwise there really aren't too many "universal" things to add.

Lab Assistant
#40 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 9:11 PM
Maybe we could also have an icon to show there are X new posts in subscribed threads or something like that. Like I said, more useful little icons and some way to turn certain icons on, certain off.
Still, great job with the site Delphy!

Meet Me In My Next Life
#41 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 10:17 PM
lol, see what happen when Delphy open the Flood Gate for suggestions? He get wash away in the storm hahaha, I only would like to see the "THANK YOU" tab in "Color," other than "blue" maybe then the downloaders can see it, I have no idea why some people can download a person or member creations and do not take the time to click Thank you. Do we need a flasher there ? lol

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Test Subject
#42 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 11:28 PM
How about upgrading the vBulletin version to a newer one?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#43 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 12:34 AM
Shalerdude0320, this installation of vBB is hacked beyond all recognition. People ask why we run such an old version about once a year, and the answer is always the same - would you want to update five years worth of vBB hacks just to upgrade the software? The download browser would break, the profiles would break, the moderation system would break, the social groups would break... it'd be a nightmare, and certainly not worth it for the marginal improvements available in newer versions of vBB - especially given that Delphy is our sole fixer-of-stuff, and this year busy with developing TS3 tools and looking after a baby.

Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#44 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 2:44 AM
That not removing the icon when the number goes to zero is a bug, but the more I think about it the more I wonder what the use of that icon actually is - I mean, most creators don't really need to have a constant reminder of how many people they have as favourite creators - the more interesting stats would be better.

tlynnjpeg: My Links is top right, but it only appears if you actually HAVE custom links setup.... which you do through your Edit Quick Links screen (found in User Tools).

I already added Thread Tools to the bar, but otherwise there really aren't too many "universal" things to add.

Oh please don't remove the favorite creators section. I find it very useful. stash... I use it as a reference link when there is a ton of stuff that those creators make - sometimes I forget a name. ... and I need a link to the stuff they made that I've used in some creation and need to link back to them.
Scholar
#45 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 3:23 AM
Purplepaws: Pattern in-game category has been changed to multi-select, and I have removed the old "Multiple (for sets only)" type. This means you can now assign a pattern set to multiple in-game categories, and they will now show on the filter.

Great! Thanks, Delphy, you're the best! :D

*off to edit posts...*
Mad Poster
#46 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 6:21 AM
twitch: If you click the accomplishment you're curious about, it will open up the full-size version with a description below it.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Mad Poster
#47 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 7:28 AM
Hmmm, it's not a huge issue, but I think moving the "report this post" button further away from the "View my journal" button would be very helpful. About half the time I go to click "view my journal," I accidentally click "report this post."

just an idea. Not exactly sure how to do it, but hey, that's why you're here. =D

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#48 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 8:27 AM
porkypine, I wasn't intending to remove the favourite creators section - merely pondering removing the icon in the top right that tells you how many you have.

Shalerdude0320, In addition to what whiterider has said you also have to think about what the actual new features are that the newer vBulletins have compared to what we have here. We already have a massively optimised setup thats geared towards high traffic, with multiple split servers, memcache, and a ton of backend changes to the core vBulletin code. All of this would be lost if I was to upgrade and I'd have to do them again. We already have much improved member profile pages (when compared to stock 3.0.x) that, I think, look even better than the stock 3.7/3.8 pages. We have journals here, integrated into the profile pages. We have the download browser. We have social groups (done in a better way, in my opinion). We also have increased security and full logging of key actions (passwords, logins, etc) that don't exist even in the newer systems.

So, really, about the only thing that this site lacks that I would consider adding is the whole social networking thing (Facebook, Twitter, etc). Everything else we've either already done, don't need to do, or wouldn't fit in with the site anyway.

Just upgrading for upgradings sake is not gonna happen.

Simonut There are already multiple places to Thank a download -on the Overview tab there are 2 places, then one on the Download tab, and now yet another on the bottom bar. I really do NOT want to spam Thanks buttons all over the place - well, no more than we currently have anyway.

Rapsheba555 Thats a good idea, but it makes me look at the general way the post bits are and go "ugh" and then I want to change them around.

In the Arena
retired moderator
#49 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 9:36 AM
That was quick! the report this post link is now beside the post#.

I think that does look much better - more intuitive position than below the posters' name and info.

I second (or third...?) the request for the filter to be check boxes instead of radio buttons on the build/buy mode category. If I want new meshes, I'd like to see what recolors are available too (for non-CASt items)

I just noticed the posts count too!
Mad Poster
#50 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 11:28 AM
Thanks for moving it. :D

Page 2 of 15