Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#26 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 12:00 AM
My first neighborhood was called Planet Hydrobius, was extremely rocky, and was built using the Three Lakes terrain. Nearly every sim was a mannequin.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 8:15 PM
Sorry to bump this, but I just started lurking around again and saw this.

My favorite personal neighborhood was called "Acid", designed as a very rural settlement yet jobs were available "down the road" (since I didn't have Open For Business I'd obviously let them make money somehow), no townies or bin families, just the NPCs that would spawn in the normal course of play. Also was on the desert version of the Belldonna Cove terrain file because it was designed to be expandable to eventually be "A City In the Desert." It started as three male adults and two children who all lived in three different buildings on the same lot.

As such the town would attract those that might be shunned by others and started to grow from there. I didn't quite reach "city" proportions when my Sims 2 computer died but was on its way. Still only had the bare essential of community lots but was somewhere for them to go.

As far as neighborhoods created by others, my favorite by far is/was Sedona since it took something present in the base game and expanded on it without a lot of the extra stuff like Strangetown. (In fact, if a Sim from Sedona were able to visit Acid, they might say "hey that gas station looks familiar." )
Instructor
Original Poster
#28 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 4:28 PM
Sounds pretty awesome! I've always preferred Strangetown to its greener counterparts.
Alchemist
#29 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 8:01 AM
I rarely like custom made neighborhoods; they can look amazing but they don't feel like mine. There are many fantastic neighborhoods in The Sims 2 that lie close to my heart, but Strangetown has even changed who I am. The neighborhood has given me the intense love for American deserts and the rather dirty/low-budget life style in The Sims and other games. I think how dirty and cheap-looking some parts of Strangetown looks has even affected my view on fashion. I love how there is a dirty community pool (on the shopping lot) and how odd in a fantastic way the Curious brother's lot is. The Nigmos household has a creepy yet cozy feeling over it; filled with graves, but it's a house I would love to live in despite. Strangetown is also such a military neighborhood, I like to imagine sometimes the neighborhood plays a key role in the national security of SimNation. I love how strict the Grunt house looks, playing a game in which my sims have a fabulous and rich life I can enjoy; but there is something extra fun in playing sims who live strict and/or poorly.
Scholar
#30 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 3:40 PM
Yup, Strangetown hands down for me. As for any custom made 'hoods, I really like the S1 recreation of Old Town.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Field Researcher
#31 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emperor Crat
Sounds pretty awesome! I've always preferred Strangetown to its greener counterparts.
Thank you! I always thought Strangetown is alright to an extent. I personally felt like some of the families there just dragged things on a bit without adding much, and since every Maxis neighborhood has townies that respawn unless downloading those mods it sorta took away from the 'small town on a desert highway' they were going for. Also, playing the neighborhood for a while tended to crowd it but that may have just been my play style at the time.
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
The neighborhood has given me the intense love for American deserts and the rather dirty/low-budget life style in The Sims and other games. I think how dirty and cheap-looking some parts of Strangetown looks has even affected my view on fashion. I love how there is a dirty community pool (on the shopping lot) and how odd in a fantastic way the Curious brother's lot is. but there is something extra fun in playing sims who live strict and/or poorly.
Well, Acid had even less than that, just the gas station community lot! If I were to write out a backstory, there's no other rhyme or reason to its existence other than those that wanted to get away from everyone and everything, while at the same time the locals are mostly friendly towards each other. (But like any secret, word eventually gets out.)
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 12:36 AM
All hoods are all of my favourites including the custom ones.

Sims 2 Rocks! :D
Page 2 of 2