Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 3:24 PM
Default WCIF a program that checks backup files for accuracy and completeness?
When I download CC, I place it in three different places:
1) My Downloads folder (if I'm actively using it).
2) My Sims Downloaded Stuff folder (storage for stuff I've downloaded and may or may not have currently installed).
3) My backup drive (copies of my active neighborhoods, Downloaded Stuff, etc)

What I want is a program (free would be awesome) that can check files and folders and tell me if there is something missing. It would have to be something that a non-techie (ie: SIMelissa) can easily operate and understand. Bonus points if it can tell me if the file versions (ie: same file name but one is updated) are the same.

I recall seeing a program that checked for duplicate files, but what I'm looking for is something that can tell me that there is a file in one folder that is not in another. For example, let's say that I downloaded a bunch of stuff but accidentally deleted one file from my Downloaded Stuff folder and forgot to add another file to my backup drive. The program would alert me to both discrepancies and tell me what file each one needs.

I know that I can copy (SKIP and/or REPLACE) files for each and every subfolder in my downloads/backup folders, but I'm hoping for something that is more efficient.

Surely, someone has created such a thing. I'm just not sure what it would be called, which makes it hard to search for what I want. Maybe someone uses it to keep track of their Sims CC or maybe they have it to ensure their photo files are backed up with both raw and jpg versions. Or maybe they are a programmer who keeps ten versions of everything and wants to save them all.

So far, I've come across this program but not sure if it's what I need--and if it is, if it's simple enough for a tech-dummy to use. http://www.techsupportalert.com/Bri...ication-Utility Also, I'm a bit leery of programs that have not been endorsed by Simmers. For better or worse, I trust the opinions of Simfolks.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 3:31 PM
I think that looks like the right thing to me, but I can't check, because I'm on mobile.
Instructor
#3 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 4:05 PM Last edited by whoward69 : 17th May 2017 at 8:43 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
I'm just not sure what it would be called

Beyond Compare

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 3:20 AM
Thanks to both of you.
I wanted to stick with something free, but the Beyond Compare program really does look like what I want. It even has the plus side of including a photo viewer. I normally use an ancient version of Breeze Browser for viewing my photo files but it is nice to have this visual feature built into a file comparison program.