Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 11:31 AM
Default Introducing New Families
After initially setting up your neighbourhood, do you introduce new families to your neighborho

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 12:04 PM
Yes. All the time That is part of my game play and I have always done that.

When I started playing with the BG only, I made a family, and it looked rather stupid to me to have one house in a hood, so I simply made another 2, and later another 2, and still later, another 2, and eventually there were 11 families before the bin Sims appeared on the scene.

As the expansions came out and I bought them one by one, the bin Sim families moved in one or two at a time, as they came along.

Of course that hood went the fiery ball into space way - but I still play like that. When I first made my current hood I made only 3 families and them moved in the bin Sims over time, and, between that, I made some more families as well.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 12:11 PM
In Bellefleur, I made about 5 or 6 'families' and introduced them through the years to the neighborhood. One is Judge Windsor and his ex-wife with their children, Count Armand Borgia & the late Gabrielle Borgia, along with some created pixels who they adopted over the years. Paulie Costello was created to introduce a criminal element into the town..and so now they're all very well-established and in some cases beloved, members of the town.

Others have been imported from "Townieville" and turned into permanent residents:Ben & Ivy Copur Long, Randy & Sandy Stratton, the late Bob Stratton and his widow, Andrea Stratton. Even Jan Tellerman (newly moved in) has become a fixture in town.

I couldn't imagine playing without them now.

As for entire neighborhoods-I've done that, too. Created an entire town where nobody knows one another-and it's interesting to develop one-although it does take a long time to get the feel of the town.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
After initially setting up your neighbourhood, do you introduce new families to your neighborho

I don't tend to have a registered ho in my neighbourhoods. I did make a brothel once though. :P
Theorist
#5 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 12:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister

Yes, since there are no sims (townies, downtownies, vacationers, etc.) other than my playable ones in the neighborhood, I like to add other sims on occasion.

The new sim(s) are typically given a relationship/background (friend or family member who moved from a nearby town) with an existing sim(s) in the neighborhood. That way, they sort of have a starting point in the neighborhood, and for the sake of realism I will sometimes have the new sim(s) temporarily move into the home of the friend or family member...until their apartment or home is ready to move into.

As an aside, I really like the topics of the threads you create. They tend to be gameplay/playing style related, and it's always interesting reading how others play their game.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 12:47 PM
I plan to, i'm really just getting Strangetown + Widespot (+ LFT & LGU, and some added bin families at the start) set up still but I plan to add families and Sims over time. I have so many things I want to do and CC skins I want to use, that would be perfect in Strangetown (they are fantasy & sci-fi ones). Any 'hood I play though i'm sure over time i'll feel like adding a family here and there, spice things up or add something to the hood with new Sims.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 1:00 PM
I've always started with just one family that moves into a hood. I play with all the regular townies so they aren't all alone. Then I add a family on most rotations. My OCD requires that each hood be played like a game board with all hoods and subhoods having an apartment building at the "go" spot. They move on from there. At the end of each rotation they have an opportunity to move, and they move as far as they can afford to, keeping in mind each house on the game board has to be considered. So if they have 50000 simoleans and the next two unoccupied houses cost 10000 apiece, but the third costs 90000, they will move to the second house down. This frees up a slot in the apartment building and on the next rotation I will put someone from the bin or a new CAS creation into the hood in the apartment.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#8 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 2:10 PM
i've tried to, but it led to me having way too many households for me to rotate without getting bored.

I introduce some singletons occasionally.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Scholar
#9 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 5:00 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 30th Jul 2017 at 5:19 PM.
As I prefer HUGE hoods, similar to a uber-hood, I generally add most of sims from the very beginning and then let them familiarize with each of them before seriously playing them in rotation (I.e. adding relationships and skills based on what type of sims they are).

There is no townies and npcs (except those who must be spawned), so they can only inter-act with each other. I also tends to give me my sims many kids 'coz it's set during the older days where birth control didn't exist, so there is a challenge of having a good gene pool. I find it a bit annoying where sims has to wed with their own cousins or great uncles/aunts! A few doesn't hurt as it fits the medieval/pre-modern theme I'm playing, but not everyone, thank you.

My medieval hood inspired by the Warwick and Medieval Charter challenge started out 50 families with a cas couple and a couple of children, because in Warwick there are 20 different classes for the sims and I wanted a couple of each, as each class has certain marriage rules.

Then I only add new sims when a new business or district is added to bring new faces to the hood. Sort of like the Build-A-City challenge.

Currently my soon to be 3rd generation hood has almost 600 playables with 63 families with average of 4-6 children each (the poverty families have more children than the wealthier ones, as that's the way they socialize their life with other than working for food) , but its managed with random occurrences such as plague, diseases, childbirth, accidents or during a war/battle as I love spicing up the game with realism and dark themes.

As I am impatient with the events, I often skip majority of the rotations (5 days, 1 season = 5 real life years), though, which also make it much easier to deal with hundreds of playables as I am not one of those simmers who play with same sims for years, I prefer things happen with a faster space, I guess similar to movies and dramas. I get to know them enough through the story lines they have.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 5:31 PM
After creating most of my city, I almost always start with just an orphanage. I play only the orphanage until one of the teens are going to college/becoming an adult. Then I add more characters for these sims, such as for the dorm or maybe to be a roommate, etc. Slowly this becomes a nice little town I know everyone in.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I don't tend to have a registered ho in my neighbourhoods. I did make a brothel once though. :P

Not even sure what happened to the original post. Probably hit some keyboard combination that erased half of it while posting (as I use keyboard navigation a lot).

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 6:31 PM
Yup, I try to introduce families whose overall appearance and background could easily fit into the story of the hood. Too jarring for me to introduce peppy-looking sims into a desert-type hood. I start by introducing bachelors and then slowly move into introducing bigger, complex families, while keeping some bin sims as townies (if that's how it works?). I usually just make new lots or pick the pre-made maxis houses for them.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 6:41 PM
Been playing so long, I get bored. Right now I have 2 hoods I created; the only townies are mail man, delivery, etc (no community lots). I make a few ugly people and everybody has babies. Often make a "mom" who "adopts" by generating toddlers/kids. Love to play crazy lots - lots of toddlers, and lazy adults I don't control. With ACR that means lots of monkey business, fires, starvation, etc. When I get tired of that, I go back to Pleasantview, where everyone has a perfect life.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Abulph
After creating most of my city, I almost always start with just an orphanage. I play only the orphanage until one of the teens are going to college/becoming an adult. Then I add more characters for these sims, such as for the dorm or maybe to be a roommate, etc. Slowly this becomes a nice little town I know everyone in.

Wow. That is such an unusual way to begin. What made you start doing it that way?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Test Subject
#15 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 7:46 PM
I play BACC, so I am adding new families often. Instead of creating sims, I use CAS points to move in families from the sim bin or "unlock" existing occupied lots.

Treebank is slowly growing into an uberhood, so I always have more premades becoming available.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 7:49 PM
No unless I run out of townies and downtowines.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Scholar
#17 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 8:08 PM
Yeah, I do that a lot. I like making my own family lines and adding them in for new blood. But I usually do that when I get close to inbreeding

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Helptato
#18 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 8:34 PM
I just add them as I see fit then play their house every so often. (I don't always play in a rotation style)

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Meet Me In My Next Life
#19 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 9:48 PM
In my custom neighborhood all the Sims there was created by me some I downloaded, so yes the Sims seem to meet each other on their own, in places like the community coffee shop.
But not all meeting are good some Sims have an attitude and act like they are better than other Sims, I have also had a fight break out between Sims who first met. Did he or she just roll their eyes at me ? lol
My Sims who live next door to each other seem to get along when they meet.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 10:22 PM
Good grief yes - how do you think I got to 60 families?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
#21 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 10:35 PM Last edited by cloudieskies : 31st Jul 2017 at 4:35 AM.
Yes, I like introducing new families/sims to my neighborhood(s). Over time, families may change subhoods and find new colorful neighbors, friend and potential love interests. Most of the 'new' families are characters from across the Sims series; others are OCs I concocted to fit into my sims' storylines.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 12:46 AM
I do like introducing new families -- mostly new singles or couples -- in my game. Though I have to admit that I've never figured out how to incorporate them all into play. Well, not before finding this site and learning about things like rotation play, empty neighborhoods and the Simlogical transporter cat.

In my current, brand new neighborhood, I started off with two friends, both shipwreck survivors. After getting them set up, I added two more households (shipwreck survivors who made it into the lifeboats before the ship was swept to the other side of the deserted island) for a total of 24 or 25 characters. My plan is to play them through for a generation, maybe two, then have the survivors "found" by a group of researchers, tourists, land developers or ????? who move into the area. As I play, I'll slowly grow my city, add a shopping district and downtown. Along the way, I'll bring in new Sims and send others off as townies and downtownies.

Well, at least that is my plan. What actually happens is never something I can predict as I've never had a neighborhood go beyond five generations due to the creator (me) not having the skills to work around game/computer issues, upgrades and not understanding how backups work (and don't work) with various installs. This time will be different, though. <fingers crossed>

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#23 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 1:55 AM
Of course new families frequently join my neighbourhoods. My neighbourhoods are desirable places to live, so it's only natural that Sims want to move to them! It's not that my 'hoods are full of palatial mansions; we tend more in the direction of homely comfort at an affordable price. It's much more that my neighbourhoods provide a safe friendly environment for Sims to relax, be themselves and enjoy themselves. Not only do my Sims have a right to life, but the constitutions guarantees their right to the pursuit of happiness. These rights are taken very seriously. Anything is allowed provided it doesn't detract from another Sim's rights. As the birth rate in my game is so low, population growth is almost entirely due to new families joining.

The "families" I add are usually very varied, ranging from single Sims of any age from teen to elder, to multi-generational families of up to eight. The last multigenerational family I added split up almost immediately, the grandparents moving to a new house with their youngest son, still a teenager. Sometimes the families I add are very carefully thought out in advance. At other times I'm just messing around in CAS, maybe to roll the pacifier, and I create Sims that I like so much that I just have to add them to my game. The result is that I have a very varied population, and just about every sort of household I can imagine: single parent families, single Sims of all ages, Sims just sharing, Sims sharing "with benefits", a Simlogical school -- even a few married couples with children! Big households, Little households, middle-sized households. The sheer variety is one reason I don't get bored! I also think a varied population is more realistic.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#24 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 2:41 AM
Very rarely. I had one CAS family in Acadie that I created with only a daughter, thinking they'd have a son in-game, but they never rolled a want for a child. Rather than let the name die out in the first generation (the girl was marrying an only son, so he couldn't take her name), I introduced a 'distant cousin' to inherit the farm, while the daughter took most of the family funds as her dowry.

Otherwise, except for creating the occasional spouse for a born-in-game Sim who wanted to marry but just couldn't find the right person, my neighbourhoods expand through births or through townies being invited to move in. I don't have the notownieregen mod, so there are always plenty of Sims ready to move in as required.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 2:41 AM
New families get moved into my B&B for a few days first. When I first started Coral Bay I went with 3 families at a time. Since there were no townies at all they quickly got to know each other.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2