Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 8:09 PM
Default Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Textures Error- Summary Inside Thread!
Hi, Simmers!

I have a problem I do not know how to fix at all! I don't know how to explain it, either. Pretty much certain Sims will have these glitched out textures, and whenever they are in front of my screen, it glitches out my view! This usually happens when I leave the lot, or come back to my home lot. As I said before, I can't really explain it, so I took some pics of the problem and my Sims 2 settings. Here they are..

This first pic of my Sims 2 water. I don't think it's part of the problem, but you never know. I am also wondering why it looks like this instead of a bit higher resolution? Is it just because this is an older game so it doesn't get any better?

Here are my game options..

Here are my graphic settings..

Here is my issue in action..

And here is a pic of the sim causing the issue this time. Notice how you don't truly see him, and his texture is all over my screen.

I have had this issue right when I got the UC off Origin for free and before I even had CC.

I have also noticed that when I go away from the sim and the glitch doesn't show (only when my screen has no bit of the sim on it) and I save, when I go back the glitch is gone. Hope this helps.

P.S. I don't know why it won't let me post this in the Help forum! Can an administrator move it there for me, please? Thank you!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 9:00 PM
No, that is not how the water should look. It looks more like your graphics card or chip can't handle the game. The fact that smooth edges is greyed out would indicate that.

You need to post your computer specs.

if you do have a graphic card and a chip, it's possible the game is using the chip. There are methods to force it to use the card. if you only have a chip you will need to try and reduce how heavy the game is being on it by turning down settings.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 9:21 PM
Alpal do not understand computer talk. :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 9:25 PM
Okay, okay. Where do I find out what my graphics card and chip is? I did not find it under Start Menu>(Right-Click)Computer>Properties.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:14 PM
Instructor
#6 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:18 PM
TS2 doesn't always play nice with newer graphics chips although a lot of newer graphics chips are more than powerful enough (even the onboard ones) to handle the game.
Try following this: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Scholar
#7 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:19 PM
OP, you will need the Graphics Rules Maker here:

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446 (Ninja'd above!)

Follow these instructions and tell us what you have left.

--
With the water and hay, it means you've got simpleTerrain enabled. I believe this is corrected in the Graphics Rules from Leefish as I installed it myself

http://modthesims.info/t/479610 <-- Thread on fixing simpleTerrain

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:38 PM
I AM GOING TO TELL YOU THIS.. (Screenshots from the link wert700 gave me)

Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-bit
Intel Corporation
3347 (the last numbers)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:43 PM
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:53 PM
Feel free to go ahead and update the drivers and also try the graphicsrules maker, [b]however,[b] the fact that you have that stretching (which is called artefacts) indicates that it's not just the game turning down your settings because it knows your graphics chip sucks; those artefacts are a sign that your graphics chip is damaged, probably due to wear and tear. Playing UC on it will only make the damage worse. So if you can afford for the computer to die and you have to buy a new one, great, play away! But if you can't, I would think twice about playing UC on it (and I wouldn't touch TS3 or TS4 with a ten-foot bargepole on that computer).

You stil haven't let us know whether or not you have switchable graphics. If you don't know, paste the make and model of your computer (if it's a laptop) and we'll check. And next time you buy a computer, pay more attention to the specifications.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 10:56 PM

Do you think I'm doing it right?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 11:02 PM
If you're downloading that from the Intel website and you've followed their instructions, then yep.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 11:37 PM
My laptop (gifted from my aunt two years ago) is already beat up pretty bad(some keys don't work, I'm stuck with on-screen keyboard and my WiFi doesn't work so I'm stuck with an Ethernet cable) and both of my parents have already said they think I need a new laptop for Christmas. So I can't really choose the specs myself, but my dad is very good with technology so I won't worry too much. He already got himself a laptop that has all the best processors and whatnot.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 12:07 AM
The water is still the same. :crys: I don't know if the glitch still happens, though.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 12:34 AM
If I was you I would put all the graphic settings down as far as you can. What you are seeing are it's struggles and if you are not careful it could just die on you.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 2:50 AM
As previous posters have said, your graphics card just can't handle the game. Don't try to play on high settings or you'll only damage it more. I had the same problem and was convinced for a while that it couldn't possibly be the quality of the graphics card, but yeah, it was. I got a better computer and the problem was resolved.

Laptops usually have integrated graphics cards, which are not really built for gaming. It is likely that they will have trouble with games like Sims 2, and also that they will be damaged if you insist on playing them anyway. If your dad will take requests for your Christmas laptop, see if you can get one with a dedicated graphics card -- that or a desktop.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#17 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 10:56 AM
With the new laptop - make sure to tell your dad that for Sims 2, you don't need a great processor, but you do need a good graphics card. There's no such thing as a flat out "good laptop" or a flat out "bad laptop": they're designed for different purposes, and you have to get one which is designed to be used in the way you want to use it.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 11:20 AM
Hell yeah. On my gaming laptop, Sims 2 runs like a dream. I haven't had any problems aside from the square shadow glitch which is the result of newer card drivers. Before I bought it, the seller even tested it with system Requirements Lab and it more than just passed.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 12:48 AM
If I play with everything on lowest possible, do you think my graphics card won't die on me? Because I'm starting to be TS2-deprived.

I need to play it. I need to.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 12:59 AM
Quote:
if you do have a graphic card and a chip, it's possible the game is using the chip.

I am 90% sure I have a "chip" (no clue what that is.. :3 I hope I don't sound stupid..). The driver update tool said I did..

How do I tell which (graphics card or chip) I am using?
Instructor
#21 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alpal425
I am 90% sure I have a "chip" (no clue what that is.. :3 I hope I don't sound stupid..). The driver update tool said I did..

How do I tell which (graphics card or chip) I am using?

Looks to me like you need to download your chipset (motherboard driver) and your graphics driver. Not having both can really make your system perform at less than its best.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 2:33 AM
A chip is a tiny piece of hardware on your motherboard while a graphic card is a lot larger and sits in it's own slot. Kind of like the difference between a mini and a large moving truck. Both can get you from A to B and carry stuff for you, but the moving truck carries a lot more stuff. If you are moving house it will all fit comfortably in the moving truck, but would be piled high on the mini, probably straining it's engine with things falling off along the way. Right now your chip is the mini and it's having issues lugging all the game stuff around.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 2:43 AM
Truly, all I really want to know is:

If I play with everything on lowest possible, do you think my graphics card won't die on me? Because I'm starting to be TS2-deprived.

I need to play it. I need to.
Instructor
#24 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 2:55 AM Last edited by thesammy58 : 23rd Nov 2014 at 3:52 AM.
Truly, all I really want to know is:

If you really, absolutely must play, then play. But keep in mind it will be at your own risk. Maybe nothing will happen, or maybe your laptop will melt in your hands. None of us can say.
It'd probably just be a good idea to invest in something that would run Sims 2 better; a laptop is not ideal. (As you've seen firsthand now)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#25 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kankritty
OP, you will need the Graphics Rules Maker here:

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

The download link for the Graphics Rule Maker doesn't work.
Page 1 of 2