Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 3:06 AM
Default So Just How Bad is SecuROM?
I've been wanting to install TS2: UC on my new gaming rig, but I'm worried about SecuROM doing irreversible damage to it. I really miss TS2: UC though, but I've heard so many stories about SecuROM causing severe issues towards one's computer, like malfunctioning disc drives, registry issues, etc. So, in your opinion, is it worth installing TS2: UC? What are the odds of something going wrong?

The Sims Forever
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 3:17 AM
I used to be able to rip dvds onto my laptop, but not anymore, ever since i installed seasons or bv last year which had securom if im not mistaken
not sure if thats a cause of securom specfically,
but i haven't noticed any other unusual behavior with securom and by installing UC

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Mad Poster
#3 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 3:25 AM
I personally have never even noticed Securom.
Scholar
#4 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 3:50 AM Last edited by leefish : 21st Nov 2014 at 9:31 AM. Reason: remove a reference to the unmentionable :)
Some people reported a lot of damage, because SecuRom attacked parts of the computer as "pirate" elements (dvd-rw, etc). I just couldn't play the game, or see most of the files on my computer, until it was removed. It turned a large number of files invisible and removed my ability to make them visible. It took several attempts to find all the registry kets for SecuRom and get them off the computer. Other people had no problem, of course. I never heard of a reason why some computers were attacked and some were left alone.

I do wonder if the issue is the same with newer computers as with older ones, but I didn't take chances with it myself.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 11:59 AM
Presumably, though, as it's digital download, UC doesn't have SecuROM. SecuROM is about, well, ROMs, after all; a digital download has entirely different security requirements.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 2:41 PM Last edited by SimsForever15 : 21st Nov 2014 at 3:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Presumably, though, as it's digital download, UC doesn't have SecuROM. SecuROM is about, well, ROMs, after all; a digital download has entirely different security requirements.

Since EA didn't bother to clean TS2: UC of its SecuROM, it still has SecuROM, just like the disc versions did.

See here: http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/cont...ion-and-SecuROM

The Sims Forever
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 4:13 PM Last edited by gazania : 23rd Nov 2014 at 3:06 PM.
The early forms could be nasty. I experienced that when Ubisoft sneaked in an update with Securom v. 7 on both our PCs (my husband was a Ubisoft fan). Almost immediately, our CD-burning software stopped working properly. Simultaneously. Sorry ... I find that hard to believe that was a coincidence.

I've been trying to follow this version of Securom. So far ... and I repeat, my knowledge of this is limited ... this does NOT appear to be the foul version that came out in 2007/2008. I haven't read of as many mishaps with this version as with the version that came out in 2007.

Uninstalling it might be annoying in the future if you get tired of the game or the game borks, since Securom can stay on your machine even after you get rid of the games that had it, but it appears you can do so effectively if you follow the suggestions in the second link below and click on the links that detail how to remove Suckyrom. Again, though, that's only if the computer borks or you don't want the game anymore.

I do fault EA for not disclosing this game had Securom. It should have known better. But as far as I know, it's a much more benign form. I can't emphasize the "as far as I know" bit enough times. It's been a few months now. If any dire mishaps cropped up, I believe we would have known about them by now. People knew about the problems with the original version very shortly after the game came out, and the news spread extremely quickly. (I was around for that back in the day.)

I'd check Reclaim Your Game from time to time, just to make sure that this Securom is indeed a much less-invasive pest than its older cousin:

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/show...on-with-SecuROM
http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/cont...ion-and-SecuROM

(It seems SimsForever15 beat me to the punch with the links. Oops.)

By the way, if you have Sims 3, you might already have Securom on your system if you downloaded off Origin:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/209887.page

Again, I don't believe that is an invasive version .... not like the infamous BV version, anyway.

And do realize that for many players .... perhaps most ... the nasty version didn't affect their computers. In short, they lucked out.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 11:46 PM
I was told once that this tool is able to remove SuckYouROM from your computer. I have not tried this method, and I'm not sure if it's more or less effective than the ones linked above, but I guess you can try this if nothing else works.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#9 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 2:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frenchyxo22
I used to be able to rip dvds onto my laptop, but not anymore, ever since i installed seasons or bv last year which had securom if im not mistaken
not sure if thats a cause of securom specfically,
but i haven't noticed any other unusual behavior with securom and by installing UC

@>> frenchyxo22>> The Ep Season "DO Not" have securom on it ,but any game that came after Seasons Ep came with securom BV is one of them with it.
It was not until I installed BV that I had securom problems it knock out my Cd / dvd player, to the point I had to have a Tech person install a new player.
The BV EP is in a box and will never be use by me ( I wasted my money ) I had window XP when it happen.

I have a brand new Custom made computer cost me an arm and leg, I like the feature in BV Ep, but I will never take a chance with it on my new computer.
Some people never had any problems with securom, I was not one of those people luck was not on my side.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 3:23 AM
What about M&G? does it comes with sucralose?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#11 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 4:17 AM
Yes ... it does, unfortunately.

Again, many people are fine with Securom ... even the older version. Just that it wasn't fun at all if you are one of the ones who got negatively affected by it.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 4:24 AM
Ok, thank you.
I have the dvd for M&G, since..it came out or a bit after?
I never noticed anything.
I read on one of the links posted in this thread, that paul.dll is a very well known file/component of sickOfrhum...so i did a search on my computer, and nothing came up.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 6:59 AM
The biggest problem with Securom with Sims 2: while this version might be benign and all that, EA does not support in any way any of Sims 2, and thus makes the installation of it a tiresome left over from when they did support the game. It's purely a leftover from those days.

EA does not have a Sims 2 site, nor do they have any support lines besides their Origin client. It's way beyond time to take Securom out of the game forever.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 9:00 AM
Well, what is surprising is that the versions are different, so it's not like EA simply left the Securom BV 2007 version in the game. I could be wrong, but this hints of a deliberate attempt to keep the DRM in there.

It's quite possible that EA is, in the back of its mind. keeping its option open to resurrect Sims 2 store items, EPs and/or SPs should things really go south with Sims 4 or Sims 5 or Sims 16 in the future. I would think this would be a last-ditch plan, though. Pushing an item as "retro" or "classic" certainly is a tactic many console gaming companies use, and sometimes, it can be very effective. At that point, EA may feel that the dreaded Securom might serve it well.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 9:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
It's quite possible that EA is, in the back of its mind. keeping its option open to resurrect Sims 2 store items, EPs and/or SPs should things really go south with Sims 4 or Sims 5 or Sims 16 in the future. I would think this would be a last-ditch plan, though. Pushing an item as "retro" or "classic" certainly is a tactic many console gaming companies use, and sometimes, it can be very effective. At that point, EA may feel that the dreaded Securom might serve it well.

I wouldn't mind it as long as we got new EPs. XD
Instructor
#16 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 9:31 AM
I was really worried about Securom after all the horror stories, but my personal experience has also been that I've never noticed it. And I've had the Securom-containing games installed on multiple computer of various models, and still no problems. It just seems to really be random who gets affected and who doesn't, which is why I thought for a while about installing BV. In the end I'm glad I did because it is now my favourite expansion.

Bustin' Out!
Mad Poster
#17 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 11:46 AM
Since I started with Double Deluxe, I've had SecuROM ever since I started playing. Once, last year, it gave me a message saying my disc might be invalid. I rebooted the computer, and the game started OK. It's never bothered me since.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I wouldn't mind it as long as we got new EPs. XD

They could just improve what's already there, and I would be glad!

Instructor
#19 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 2:38 AM Last edited by thesammy58 : 17th Jun 2017 at 8:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
I was told once that this tool is able to remove SuckYouROM from your computer. I have not tried this method, and I'm not sure if it's more or less effective than the ones linked above, but I guess you can try this if nothing else works.

I've tried that before. Yes, it got rid of any visible SecuROM folders, but it still left plenty of hidden entries in my registry that could affect my PC and SecuROM games.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 3:48 AM
Before I installed a game with SecuROM, I moved my burner to another computer. Since it is a copy protection and digital rights management program, I wanted to make sure it didn't destroy my burners. I can only assume the people who had problems with it, had dvd burners and this is why their computers were attacked vs someone who didn't whose computer was left a lone.
Alchemist
#21 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 11:51 AM
I have never thought about it actually and never been bothered by it. What does SecuROM do? Can EA see what pages I visit or what?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 4:22 AM
I took the plunge by installing TS2 UC. So far, everything has went well. I hope that it will stay well. Anyways, I think it was worth installing it again. It brings back so many memories.

The Sims Forever
Scholar
#23 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 1:07 PM
SecuROM is a form of copy protection and was very active around 2007. I think the version used for Bon Voyage and such was v7, and naturally trying to stay one step ahead of the pirates and crackers means the version used for TS2 UC has been updated and added to well beyond the version used then.

The problem with SecuROM is reports of it disabling software. If SecuROM saw CD burning software it could impact your ability to use said software even if it was for 100% genuine and legitimate purposes. Others attributed its presense to other issues such as CD/DVD drives failing to work, and on a handful of occasions people attributed computer crashes and failures to it being on their machines.

(People do look for patterns in things, so someone has a newly-installed Sims expansion with SecuROM on it, and three days later their computer crashes and burns? With SecuROM's reputation, they're likely to point to that as the cause. I'm not going to say SecuROM was problem-free, but I'm also not going to say it was the worst form of copy protection ever made.)
Instructor
#24 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 5:11 PM
Katya, that is indeed a good example. Most people are tech illiterate and blame the most ridiculous thing for hardware failures. I count myself lucky for the fact that I know the ins and outs of my electronics and am willing to do some exploratory research and also a bit of computer surgery, to find and fix an issue if necessary. I wish everybody had the knowledge and ability to troubleshoot that I do but the sad thing is, they don't, so they panic at the slightest bit of trouble and don't know what to blame their troubles for. Some people who claim to have tech know-how, are lazy and look for the easiest thing to blame.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 12:20 AM
I come bearing incredible news: that EA has lost a lawsuit brought by another company alleging that Securom is infringing on their patent platform...and they now have to pay that company millions of dollars in damages.

I kid you not! Read about it here: Court Ruling: EA's Anti-Piracy Software Is Patent Infringing

Whether or not this will have any impact on their present use of Securom remains to be seen, but I'd call it a half victory for those who never did like it..although it came from a notorious patent troll.
Page 1 of 2