Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2014 at 6:00 PM
Default JJ's House
So I've been working off and on for a while on a hood intended to be shared. I'd like some feedback on houses, if anyone's got a few minutes. This is a temporary name for the house. JJ is a romance/fortune sim, fairly high in outgoing, active, and playful points, in the artist career. She has a sister she doesn't care for and some nephews she's mildly fond of.
Screenshots

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
So I've been working off and on for a while on a hood intended to be shared. I'd like some feedback on houses, if anyone's got a few minutes. This is a temporary name for the house. JJ is a romance/fortune sim, fairly high in outgoing, active, and playful points, in the artist career. She has a sister she doesn't care for and some nephews she's mildly fond of.

Needs more landscaping, plants, flowers, something..it looks a little bare, I let the experts on houses take it from there, landscaping is the only thing I can say needs help, i am not a house person, I only made 1.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 2:41 AM
An interesting house. I can see someone rather feminine living there.

It's rather large for only 2 sims. I would either make the house smaller on a smaller block or make more rooms.

The house area itself needs to be on foundation. It's hard to see but I think you have decking under the weight bearing area.

The driveway needs to be moved away slightly from the steps.

Add a path from the steps and garden beds for landscaping.

Make sure to play test a copy and to only upload a house that has not had sims live there. This isn't absolutely necessary but most of us do this as the safety of previously occupied houses is in question. Otherwise say the house was preciously occupied in large print.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 8:39 AM
I agree with all the Jo has said above.

Your house is rather large for only 1 bedroom. I think the layout internally could do with some rethinking. I notice you have a huge bedroom and lounge area with not a lot in either spaces. Also I would make a hallway where the stairs are, even if you only do that upstairs, seems odd to have the stairs arriving in the bedroom like that.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 2:36 PM
As it's for an individual in a hood intended to be shared, you'll presumably get some playtesting done during story development. If it were me, I'd expect lots of traffic jams in that kitchen, and I'd want the stair hall to be separate. Listen to Jo about landscaping - you'll be amazed at the difference a terrain paint path shortcutting through the grass makes in ambiance.

The relative bareness may or may not be an issue. I know I left lots of open space in the houses in Widespot because it's a base game neighborhood and I knew people'd start adding things from later EPs as soon as they loaded. Since you're clearly using some, if not all, of the later EPs, this isn't an issue, so you might want to take advantage of that to flesh out the characterization in the house more; but of course you don't want to cramp the style of the prospective players and fill it up so much that it's a nuisance for them to swap out your stuff for their favorite custom content, either. Since she's a Romance/Fortune sim, I would expect her to have the best mood-creating, date-impressing stuff her budget will allow, so I'm wondering where the hot tub is. But based on that car she may not be able to afford it yet, and that's fine. Make sure you have a good space for the hot tub players will inevitably buy her eventually, though. Where does she feed visitors? It's hard to tell in the shots, but it looks like she only has room for a table for one in that kitchen.

Also, curtains. Romance sims need a bit of privacy. It's a lovely single-woman house.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jan 2014 at 9:15 PM Last edited by Sunbee : 25th Jan 2014 at 11:20 PM.
Landscaping. Why do I always forget about terrain paint? Thanks, guys! I think JJ won't be much on gardening.
Obviously I need better pictures--the table in the dining room has two chairs, by the bay window. She's got a bar and her pottery wheel in the dining room, so that's probably what was more noticeable.
The lot itself is a 2x2, I should've said so, I think, so the house is not big.
I think there's room for a hottub by the apple tree, I'll double check.
Jo, this'll come with a sim in it, in a neighborhood. I'll keep an empty copy of course. It is on a foundation. I put a grey stone wall on the foundation, which is probably why it's hard to tell.
Curtains. Duh! Wonder if any of them fit those windows?
I can put a screen in by the stairs in the bedroom, and some stuff near the front door (her own art and pottery after I move her in? Would that be a good idea?): I thought to keep the area by the stereo further back fairly clear for all those dance wants.
Thanks so much for your feedback. I'll make some changes and put up another picture or three.

I confirmed a hottub can fit by the blue birdhouse at the end of the driveway.
And the pictures:
Screenshots

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Jan 2014 at 7:02 AM
If it's part of a neighbourhood your houses don't need to be as 'just so' as they do for individual upload. A basic colour scheme, a few garden beds and some basic white curtains should do. Maybe add some candles somewhere.

Only 2X2? It's probably not as big as it looks than. I do need larger pics, my old eyes are always deceiving me.

I would swap out the modern painting for something more traditional like a landscape and maybe change the colour of the table and chairs and the other painting to something less strong. The paint and floor says dainty, romantic and traditional and those other items seem a bit too bold to me in that setting. I would also change that car which says a cheap and loud hoon lives there.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~