Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 11:47 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Steam and Origin together
How does this work? I want to buy the sale stuff on Steam right now, but I hear different things about if this works. I remember this being talked about before and people saying you have to buy the base game through Steam to get any other expansions, but also that there's a way to get them to run with the ones I have through Origin. People were talking about how they got it to work but I can't find the thread, and now people are saying that you can't combine the two at all. Is that new? Is that not true? Etc.

Also if it does work, how do I get Steam to recognize my CC and saves?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 12:30 AM
When you purchase a TS3 base game or EP/SP on Steam, they throw a valid Origin code in at no extra charge. So you can purchase through Steam but use the codes to install through Origin if you choose. You can't mix Steam and Origin/disc installs.

Steam will not allow you to purchase a Steam EP/SP (with the Origin code thrown in) unless you have a Steam base game purchase on your record first even if it's not installed or never will be.
Site Helper
#3 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 1:25 PM
One other question that probably fits here: If you have an installation that is mostly disc-based, but with an EP purchased from Origin before patch 1.69, and currently play from a disc, is it possible to purchase an EP from Steam, use the Origin code, and stay on patch 1.67 (as long as your current play disc is from a more recent EP than the one you just purchased? Or will Origin still automatically get involved and update to 1.69?

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 3:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
One other question that probably fits here: If you have an installation that is mostly disc-based, but with an EP purchased from Origin before patch 1.69, and currently play from a disc, is it possible to purchase an EP from Steam, use the Origin code, and stay on patch 1.67 (as long as your current play disc is from a more recent EP than the one you just purchased? Or will Origin still automatically get involved and update to 1.69?

No. Once you use Origin to install an EP/SP ever since Nov 2015 (refined in Jan 2016), you will be on Patch 1.69.

Technically you aren't playing from a disc, you are using the disc to authenticate. If on 1.69, that is no longer necessary for whatever that might be worth.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 10:35 PM
So how about CC then?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
So how about CC then?

If you were going to uninstall your entire game and reinstall the base game and all of your EP/SPs after repurchasing them on the Steam platform, the first step before uninstalling anything would be to pull your game folder out of Documents to your Desktop and place it back in later, after verifying that everything works correctly. In most cases, installed content of all kinds, Library files, and saved games should remain intact.

Sims3packs downloaded from the EA Store may need to be re-downloaded if you ever needed to re-install the content as the older downloads may not function after the transition. But already installed content lives in the DC Cache Folder and that should be seamlessly transportable along with the rest of your game folder in Documents between platforms.

Core Mods will kick up a version mismatch warning on every startup unless you have Steam specific versions of those (NRaas ErrorTrap and CMarNYC's XCAS both do, Consort's 2XW/F and I believe AwesomeMod do not).

If you were going to stay on Origin or an Origin/disc combo but just use the Origin codes that purchasing from Steam provides, then none of this would matter.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 1:33 AM
So I would have had to have gotten Steam from the getgo to do this smoothly? Instead I have to uninstall everything and move everything around?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 2:03 AM
Different players have different needs and approach Steam products from different angles.

What is it you are trying to accomplish, exactly?